Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:05 PM

309 posts, read 363,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
This thread is about those that do not want to 'hear' they just want us to go away.....

my suggestion is they do not start threads on the subject and do not post in the threads that are obviously UR/ET and that if they see a thread going OT that they report it to the mods

keep blowing that trumpet, (but stay on topic ) ... but do not use the trumpet to hit them over the head with it
I have found that "staying on topic" is very hard to do (for BOTH sides). The intertwined beliefs is what brings all of us to what we believe. The Arms have theirs, So do the Calvinist, and so do we. For example:

If the thread is about "you MUST Believe on Christ then you are save", the debate will ultimately go to a "freewill" conversation then, because they repeat the same verses over and over like I dont know what the scripture says are saying. I can flat out tell them YES you have to believe to be saved, but the debate then moves to trying to explain that He will "bring them to this belief". Their verses FLAT OUT say you must believe, but others FLAT OUT say you dont have a FREEWILL. This is hard to explain. Maybe this is a bad example I am giving. But it IS hard to stay on topic as I am sure the other side of the debate can agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 08:15 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,707,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeallcomm View Post
I have found that "staying on topic" is very hard to do (for BOTH sides). The intertwined beliefs is what brings all of us to what we believe. The Arms have theirs, So do the Calvinist, and so do we. For example:

If the thread is about "you MUST Believe on Christ then you are save", the debate will ultimately go to a "freewill" conversation then, because they repeat the same verses over and over like I dont know what the scripture says are saying. I can flat out tell them YES you have to believe to be saved, but the debate then moves to trying to explain that He will "bring them to this belief". Their verses FLAT OUT say you must believe, but others FLAT OUT say you dont have a FREEWILL. This is hard to explain. Maybe this is a bad example I am giving. But it IS hard to stay on topic as I am sure the other side of the debate can agree.
Joe - I totally agree with you -

Old 07-25-2010, 10:39 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,196,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
This thread is about those that do not want to 'hear' they just want us to go away.....

my suggestion is they do not start threads on the subject and do not post in the threads that are obviously UR/ET and that if they see a thread going OT that they report it to the mods

keep blowing that trumpet, (but stay on topic ) ... but do not use the trumpet to hit them over the head with it
We don't get to hit them with our trumpets? Where's the fun?

Quote:
I have found that "staying on topic" is very hard to do (for BOTH sides). The intertwined beliefs is what brings all of us to what we believe.
Exactly.

Topic: Let's talk about flowers, class.

"Define flower," someone pipes up.

(Then it starts.)

"It's a weed." "No, it's a flower." "It's a weed." "No, it's a flower."

"Well, where I grew up"...........

Has the topic become weeds or flowers?

Everybody believes they ARE on topic.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:55 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,931,284 times
I don't like when people call dandelions, weeds.
I call them flowers.

oops.
see how it easy it is to stray OT...

Old 07-25-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I call them flowers.

oops.
Its ok sparrow....as long as you ain't smokin' it....LOL....LOL

Old 07-25-2010, 11:00 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,196,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I call them flowers.

oops.
According to my books on Botany, of which I have many (puffing up chest), you are terribly wrong. You can think they are flowers all you want, but my book...........

(I am in no way bashing the scriptures. Just men's books on the interpretation of the scriptures, perhaps )

Last edited by herefornow; 07-25-2010 at 11:45 PM..

Old 07-25-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
According to my Botanist books, of which I have many (puffing up chest), you are terribly wrong. You can think they are flowers all you want, but my book...........

oooh. wait.
Didn't I just say in that other thread how much I hate those meanie smilies?

oops.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Its ok sparrow....as long as you ain't smokin' it....LOL....LOL

hmmm.

wait.
what?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:11 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,498,708 times
I know that until a problem can be fixed, it first needs to be reconized. And in a group, especially among people confessing to be Christians, we each need to honestly compare oneself to Christ, not compare one to another.

If we are willing to admit the problem starts in\with me, the sooner the tense atmosphere will decrease. Unfortunately, things that happen in our persnal lives do often influence how we say something or react to what has been written.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I know that until a problem can be fixed, it first needs to be reconized. And in a group, especially among people confessing to be Christians, we each need to honestly compare oneself to Christ, not compare one to another.

If we are willing to admit the problem starts in\with me, the sooner the tense atmosphere will decrease. Unfortunately, things that happen in our persnal lives do often influence how we say something or react to what has been written.
Totally agree....good point Twin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity