Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:30 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

What if a wife refuses to obey her husband in important decisions, says she's going to do what she wants, and this is detrimental to the relationship? Would this be grounds for the husband to divorce her? If not, then how can the marriage function properly when one spouse is in constant rebellion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 11:36 AM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
obey? What is she, a puppy?

Can you give some examples....
Marriage should be an equal partnership, not a dictatorship.
Both parties should respect each other and talk over differences in opinion and come to agreements, compromises, etc.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:37 AM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
sorry now that I've asked for examples... I gotta run.
Didn't realize the time is getting away from me.
Be back tonight.
peace,
sparrow

Old 07-16-2010, 11:39 AM

157 posts, read 440,218 times
Agree w/.sparrow

Old 07-16-2010, 11:42 AM

63,776 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
What if a wife refuses to obey her husband in important decisions, says she's going to do what she wants, and this is detrimental to the relationship? Would this be grounds for the husband to divorce her? If not, then how can the marriage function properly when one spouse is in constant rebellion?
No . . . but having a husband with this kind of attitude surely is!!

Old 07-16-2010, 11:49 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Well, we're given the book of Hosea as the prime example of how God loves us unconditionally, and then we're told to love our wives as Christ loves the church...

Old 07-16-2010, 11:51 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,763 times
Quote:

To generalized to have an opinion for the most part.

My wife don't obey me because I do not feel the need to order her around and neither should any other husband.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:02 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,118 times
Quote:
I guess my first question would be if YOU, as the head of the house, obey the Lord in all things?
What does the Lord do, when we do not obey Him?
Does he push us away, or does he woo us? Is He patient and long-suffering with us?

Another question: are you looking for grounds for divorce?
If so, there is something also wrong, with the condition of your own heart.
Why do you want to get rid of your wife?
Women today do not understand the Biblical model of marriage, most of them have been brainwashed by society. This is probably what is wrong with your wife.
On the other hand, when you say "obey," what do you mean......do you tell her to do something, just to see if she will do it? Or do you actually mean that you lovingly try to guide her in the right path, which is your role as head of the home?

Where do you fit into this equation?

I ask you, do you obey the Lord at ALL TIMES? If not, then you cannot ask your wife something that you, yourself, will not do.

A lot of clarifying needs to happen here before anyone can truly advise you.

However, if you say that you obey the Lord in all things and you treat your wife respectfully, and she just wants to do her own thing....IMHO, no, that is not grounds for divorce.
I would just do what I needed to do, as head of the home. If she does not follow behind you, and support you, then it's on her.
But I wouldn't be arguing, especially if you have kids.
Please add some more details.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:05 PM

245 posts, read 585,806 times
Quote:
"Obey you?"
Are you serious,OP?

You and your SO need immediate marriage counseling to redefine your relationship. If you don't go, then she should alone.
Your relationship is failing.
Unless that's what you desire, then you need counseling right away.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:13 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
What do we have here, a male chauvinist pig? Marriage is a partnership. If you want to 'act out' master/slave roles in the bedroom, that's one thing, but when it comes down to everything else, it is a partnership.

I know that many so called shallow boys (using the term man is erroneous, as men don't behave in such a manner) use religion as a tool to 'control' the woman, and I have nothing but contempt for the cowards that would do so, and for the women that allow it.

Not to mention the arrogance of the man that some how believes his views on what ever the disagreement is about, is the right decision?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity