Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 02:33 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHeart View Post
Tithing is still a biblical principle! More is said of it in the Old Testament than in the New Testament. This is because the tithe was connected with the tribe of Levi and their ministry for Israel.

Ultimately the tithe belongs to the Lord, not the church or the pastors! God redirects the tithe in the Old Testament to the Levites for their service in the temple and especially since they received no land as the other tribes did! And in Matt 23:23 Jesus clearly said that tithing remains in the New Testament era.

And 1Cor 9: 1-14 is the clearest passage in the NT regarding tithing. Paul refers to those who worked in the temple were paid from the monies that went into the temple. Then he says, "in the same way those who preach the gospel should live from the Gospel." It seems that he says that the way the Levites were paid was the model for the NT era preacher.

What you have to decide is whether your Pastor is actually doing the work of a preacher or not!! If you do then give them your tithes. If you think they are not then give it elsewhere, e.g. Bible Society, or like me, place your tithe towards evangelism materials to lead others to Jesus.
You are correct is saying that the tithe went to the levite. that has not changed, if the preacher is not a levite he cannot collect a tithe. Even the orthodox jews who follow the old testament dont tithe. Jesus did not tithe, he was a carpenter. he did not have to tithe. He had to produce from the land that he can tithe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 753 times
Default should pastors be paid

Our pastor is not paid...he works just like the rest of us.He prepares his sermons throughout the week.We have 2 ministers plus a deacon who also preaches. The brethren who are members take turns doing the devotions both at church and our Christian school.We also have the brethren share the outreach duties.
If one of our ministers need extra help with home duties , money or whatever then we the congregation always help out.That's also the way all our church bills get paid ...brotherhood is strong and help each other also.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:24 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
In my area I'm the only full-time pastor in at least 40 miles in any direction. Many of the other churches share a pastor with another church 30, 40 miles away.

I'm also the only pastor that spends 20 hours a week or more in visitation per week.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:38 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Should Pastors Earn a Salary?

For twenty hours of visitation?
An hour service on Wednesday?
And, an hour or two sermon on Sunday?

"Minimum wage, should cover a part time job?"

However, if actually doing something for 40-80 hours a week?
Then, give them a raise, coupled with housing allowance.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:44 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Should Pastors Earn a Salary?

For twenty hours of visitation?
An hour service on Wednesday?
And, an hour or two sermon on Sunday?

"Minimum wage, should cover a part time job?"

However, if actually doing something for 40-80 hours a week?
Then, give them a raise, coupled with housing allowance.

Riiiiiiggghhhhhht......

Because preaching requires no preparation? You try preparing a research paper every week and then give it in oral form. Along with leading Bible studies and doing other stuff like counseling doesn't take any time? Most pastors work about 45-50 hours a week. Thats about right for me. I personally make about $25k per year.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Because preaching requires no preparation?

You try preparing a research paper every week and then give it in oral form.
Along with leading Bible studies and doing other stuff like counseling doesn't take any time?

Most pastors work about 45-50 hours a week. That's about right for me.
I personally make about $25k per year.
Actually, I do! Coupled with that of working over fifty hours a week.
Then again, I probably make a great deal more for the time spent working.

I also spend time, everyday with my daughter(s).

And manage to play a hand or two of poker on the weekends!

For the most-part, I sleep about 5-6 hours an evening.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:27 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Actually, I do! Coupled with that of working over fifty hours a week.
Then again, I probably make a great deal more for the time spent working.

I also spend time, everyday with my daughter(s).

And manage to play a hand or two of poker on the weekends!

For the most-part, I sleep about 5-6 hours an evening.

With that kind of schedule how do you find time for your fortune cookie business .

Old 12-20-2013, 07:28 PM

723 posts, read 868,921 times
Yes if they're hypocrites. Camels, needles and all that. They are anyway seeing as they can't follow everything that's stipulated in the book they're promoting.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
With that kind of schedule how do you find time for your fortune cookie business?
It helps to nibble on healthy food.
Let me just say, I enjoy doodling.

But, it usually falls on deaf ears.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:09 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
It helps to nibble on healthy food.
Let me just say, I enjoy doodling.

But, it usually falls on deaf ears.
But for those that have ears To hear they receive it with joy. I love everything you are about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity