Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:30 AM

446 posts, read 553,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
But will you agree with it and not challenge it even if in fact you disagree? Will you not resist what is being said verbally?

There is a difference between killing someone in cold blood and killing someone in self defense. And there is a difference between resisting hate and violence and living in hate and violence.

Should child molestation and rape be tolerated? There are obvious things that should not be tolerated. While i agree that freedom of speech and of religion is certainly important(necessary), when i see the religious right having so much influence in society especially in politics in America, and i see the intolerance that they teach and defend as righteousness and political correctness, i am going to object.

If you guys want to bandy words and claim that talking out against intolerance and bigotry is itself an act of intolerance and bigotry, than there is no reasoning with you. You have worked yourself into a paradigm of self defeat and irrational vanity, in your perceived world there is likely no objective truth to begin with.

Peace ...
You don't know me to say what I would do...I have had people say things to my face which make my blood boil, and they are allowed to say it, does it mean I agree with it, no, but they said it. As soon as they are done with their opinion, I give mine, but does that mean that since we have two differing opinions, we are intolerant of each other?

Can you give me one example of intolerance in religion? Just one specific example...I hear all the time about religious people are so intolerant, but yet, it seems all the intolerance talk comes from the outside...

I am entitled to my opinions of things just like you are, just because we disagree does not make either of us intolerant...but when you start calling names or saying we are intolerant because of our views, that makes you intolerant...just sayin...

One last thing, give me one objective truth that I wouldn't believe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 11:45 AM

952 posts, read 943,660 times
LogicMan: Oh. So, you're pretty religious?

Puddy: That's right.

LogicMan: So is it a problem that I'm not really religious?

Puddy: Not for me.

LogicMan: Why not?

Puddy: I'm not the one going to hell.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:47 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,192,291 times
Christians wanting to ban same sex marriage for all. That, to me, is intolerance. If you are against same sex marriage - don't get married to someone of the same sex. However, saying that since you are against it - it should not exist - to me, that is intolerance.

My husband's friend's wife not being nice to be because I'm not Christian. She dotes over him and almost completely ingores me. She wouldn't even let me hold her baby. All because I'm not Christian. To me, that is intolerance.

My aunt and uncle's Pastor having a sermon about how we should hate the Jews for what they have done to us during the Christmas sermon. That, to me, is intolerance.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:51 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,770,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinbalad View Post
You don't know me to say what I would do...I have had people say things to my face which make my blood boil, and they are allowed to say it, does it mean I agree with it, no, but they said it. As soon as they are done with their opinion, I give mine, but does that mean that since we have two differing opinions, we are intolerant of each other?

Can you give me one example of intolerance in religion? Just one specific example...I hear all the time about religious people are so intolerant, but yet, it seems all the intolerance talk comes from the outside...

I am entitled to my opinions of things just like you are, just because we disagree does not make either of us intolerant...but when you start calling names or saying we are intolerant because of our views, that makes you intolerant...just sayin...

Please excuse me, as i had gathered by your posts that you were atheist. I am occasionally guilty of not reading close enough and jumping to conclusions about what people are actually saying.

If you are an atheist, then the one objective truth of deity - the penultimate objective truth to which all things are themselves otherwise subject - would be the "objective truth that you wouldn't believe".

If you are not an atheist, then i was mistaken in my surmising.

When i read ...
Quote:
On the lighter side (hehe) I think you are very much generalizing why people feel a need for a higher power. In many cases, we humans need to feel like there is something bigger than us, and that gets turned into some kind of natural or animalistic diety.
I had assumed that you were making light of the fact that God exists. Though on closer inspection i can see that you may not be saying as much.

AS far as religious intolerance and an example of it, throughout the past two thousand years Christianity and Islam(Chief among all others) have committed a variable cornucopia of atrocities of intolerance and crimes against humanity in the name of God. The inquisitions, the crusades, the myriad Jihads and holy wars that have been fought and are still being fought on earth today ... Do you really require me to make a specific example?

Peace ...

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 09-09-2010 at 12:06 PM..

Old 09-09-2010, 11:52 AM

63,891 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Quote:
If you think about what you wrote, and see the definition of intolerance, you would see that not tolerating something is intolerance...

As much as you don't like what that means, it is true, not curcular reasoning.

One of my favorite liberty quotes goes something like this: I may disagree with what you are saying but I will defend to the death your ability to say it.

I don't have to agree with what you say, but I will give you the opportunity to say it...
This is where the lawyers and the dissemblers find entry into the argument and twist this tolerance beyond its pragmatic limits. Falsely yelling "Bomb!" or "Fire" in a crowded assembly . . . is it free speech or incitement to riot? When does this freedom cross over into physical actions? Is burning a flag or Qu'ran "speech" or destruction of property with intent to incite violence? The nuances of the "What is the definition of 'IS'?" type are legion. Simplistic and unreasoned application (even of precious and wonderful concepts) can become a very dangerous practice.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,219,623 times
Quote:

Same sex marriage....that's a HUGE example of RELIGIOUS INTOLERANCE!

Old 09-09-2010, 12:09 PM

446 posts, read 553,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Christians wanting to ban same sex marriage for all. That, to me, is intolerance. If you are against same sex marriage - don't get married to someone of the same sex. However, saying that since you are against it - it should not exist - to me, that is intolerance.

My husband's friend's wife not being nice to be because I'm not Christian. She dotes over him and almost completely ingores me. She wouldn't even let me hold her baby. All because I'm not Christian. To me, that is intolerance.

My aunt and uncle's Pastor having a sermon about how we should hate the Jews for what they have done to us during the Christmas sermon. That, to me, is intolerance.

I guess I should have rephrased that...touche'

I apologize for the acts of people who call themselves Christians and then act ina different way...these people are likely christian in name only (who am I to judge?)...I guess we all know them, they make all of us Christians look badly to the rest of the world...

I have always held the credo that I love the person, hate the sin...since we all sin, there is much to not like about us all (hahaha)

Old 09-09-2010, 12:22 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,192,291 times
Quote:
I guess I should have rephrased that...touche'

I apologize for the acts of people who call themselves Christians and then act ina different way...these people are likely christian in name only (who am I to judge?)...I guess we all know them, they make all of us Christians look badly to the rest of the world...

I have always held the credo that I love the person, hate the sin...since we all sin, there is much to not like about us all (hahaha)
But that is the thing - it's very easy to dismiss every act that goes against what you personally believe by saying that they were not true Christians. Everyone has a different interpretation of what is a true Christian. In my opinion - there is no such thing as one definition of a true Christian. I think you all need to come to terms with the fact that what is a true Christian for one is not a true Christian for all. My husband's friend's wife - she would surely consider herself a true Christian. She says grace before eating, she goes to church, she talks about God and Jesus - her faith is very important to her. It's so important to her that she took it upon herself to voice her doubts about my religious beliefs to my mother in law AT OUR WEDDING! But she surely thinks of herself as a true Christian. I think we need to just think of people not as Christian or not Christian - true Christian or not true Christian - and just recognize that people are just people. Some are tolerant - some aren't. It's just that the religious intolerant people use their religion to justify their intolerance.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:06 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,578,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
But that is the thing - it's very easy to dismiss every act that goes against what you personally believe by saying that they were not true Christians. Everyone has a different interpretation of what is a true Christian. In my opinion - there is no such thing as one definition of a true Christian. I think you all need to come to terms with the fact that what is a true Christian for one is not a true Christian for all. My husband's friend's wife - she would surely consider herself a true Christian. She says grace before eating, she goes to church, she talks about God and Jesus - her faith is very important to her. It's so important to her that she took it upon herself to voice her doubts about my religious beliefs to my mother in law AT OUR WEDDING! But she surely thinks of herself as a true Christian. I think we need to just think of people not as Christian or not Christian - true Christian or not true Christian - and just recognize that people are just people. Some are tolerant - some aren't. It's just that the religious intolerant people use their religion to justify their intolerance.
Well put Dewdrop...

Old 09-09-2010, 07:03 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,503,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Primitive man "learned it" in a vain, early attempt to understand nature and the Universe.....as time went by some men realized this was a great way to control others by invoking fear and prejudice to keep mankind divided so that those who devised these "religious beliefs" could/would remain in power at the top of the heap.
Learned it from who?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity