Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 02:17 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,614 times

Advertisements

I think it's hilarious how people are so adamant that THEIR way is the only way. If you are not into praying to the Virgin Mary or the Saints or the green leprechaun then that's great, but that does not mean that others that do are wrong. Get over yourself. People follow different religions and have different beliefs, and people should respect that.

If you think it is your "duty" to change people's beliefs and teach them what is right (meaning what you believe), then perhaps you should join one of those Islamic terrorists groups. Everyone has the right to pray to, worship, believe in whatever the heck they want, as long as it does not harm others and as long as they don't try to push their beliefs on everyone else.

Personally, unlike many I don't believe in worshiping the bible, I don't think it is meant to be taken literally, and I don't quote verses from it all the time, but it is not my place to tell people who do they shouldn't do it or that they are wrong. To each their own.

"Religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of it, but please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around, and please don't try to shove it down my throat".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 02:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
I have many catholic friends. we discuss our beliefs all the time. One did not know what a saint was. And still is confused. I tried to explain the RCC has patron saints. And I tried to explain that all followers of Christ are Saints. Another Spent his prayers and worship on angels. I have come to reconcile what I have seen in the world.
Its time to start fixing things.
So you don't respect what Catholics believe, (or is it limited to your "many" Catholic friends who you seem to see as broken)...... you think what they're doing is wrong.....and you think they need to be "fixed".

Is that about right?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-25-2014 at 02:35 PM..

Old 09-25-2014, 02:31 PM

229 posts, read 337,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The Holy Spirit.
Please answer me, many who worship in ways contrary to the bible also claim to be lead by holy spirit so could they mistaken or do you feel that all who say they are lead by the spirit are in fact?

Also, please answer what do you think about scriptures I presented about Gods warning that many would claim to be lead by Gods spirit but were not, even claiming them as false prophets or servants.

Thanks

Old 09-25-2014, 02:36 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDante View Post
Understand I am NOT accusing anyone of anything however I am simply seeking to see how if ones know Gods word is inspired from God from whose inspiration are the traditions of the Catholic church not in the bible but taken from what source?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The Holy Spirit.
Rather simplistic statement considering the huge number of things that the RCC got dead wrong over the centuries, supposedly under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

But I do agree that Holy Spirit > Scripture, so we're on the same page in principal.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I think it's hilarious how people are so adamant that THEIR way is the only way. If you are not into praying to the Virgin Mary or the Saints or the green leprechaun then that's great, but that does not mean that others that do are wrong. Get over yourself. People follow different religions and have different beliefs, and people should respect that.

If you think it is your "duty" to change people's beliefs and teach them what is right (meaning what you believe), then perhaps you should join one of those Islamic terrorists groups. Everyone has the right to pray to, worship, believe in whatever the heck they want, as long as it does not harm others and as long as they don't try to push their beliefs on everyone else.

Personally, unlike many I don't believe in worshiping the bible, I don't think it is meant to be taken literally, and I don't quote verses from it all the time, but it is not my place to tell people who do they shouldn't do it or that they are wrong. To each their own.

"Religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of it, but please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around, and please don't try to shove it down my throat".
I assume your response is geared towards all but I will respond regarding my points and thoughts alone.

You do understand that the OP asked a question to Christians and Catholics right? While all can see you're clear on your personal religious views the OP did ask questions and many of us presented our points with myself basing it from scriptures. While the world is filled with evil men and organizations that have a distorted view on a god or their religious views the God I serve never commands me to do so. I am commanded to show love, respect, understanding, obey laws of the land, treat my fellow man as I want regardless of how they treat me or their own personal beliefs, teach, etc. I am not sure why someone like that would be somehow vilified.

While I don't think we will have much in common since I do put much emphasis on the bible in my life at the same time your beliefs are your free will. I don't try to force you to do anything nor my "duty" to force others however if ones ask questions I will response with my beliefs based on the bible. If you don't ask me or present the opportunity then I don't share my beliefs on you, there's difference between sharing and forcing. However, if a question is asked on a forum whose purpose is to discuss then why get mad at those doing the very thing of it's intended use?

I'm sorry that religion in general has made you so upset, but to be honest I can understand since the bible does talk about how even many servants of his would leave the faith due to the false teachings and bad examples and many now as a result hate or frustrated with religion or spirituality. But I hope while you have different beliefs you don't punish ones like myself who are good neighbors and citizens for the acts of those who aren't or end up forcing me to be something I am not.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Please answer me, many who worship in ways contrary to the bible also claim to be lead by holy spirit so could they mistaken or do you feel that all who say they are lead by the spirit are in fact?

Also, please answer what do you think about scriptures I presented about Gods warning that many would claim to be lead by Gods spirit but were not, even claiming them as false prophets or servants.

Thanks
You asked where Catholic tradition came from. I gave you the answer.

1) Since I'm not inside the brain (or soul or spirit) of other people I have NO idea. The works of the Holy Spirit are WAY past my pay grade.

2) I think most people familiar with the Bible can pull out scripture they believe supports their argument. Whatever it is. Many non-Catholics are especially good at this when they're trying to tell the Catholics, "You're wrong."

3) Bonus answer: I try very hard to respect the faiths of other people. This world is FULL of people who don't respect the religious beliefs of their neighbor. I don't want to be one more person doing that. Especially considering the prejudice and discrimination I've seen people demonstrate when they think their neighbor's religion is "wrong".

Old 09-25-2014, 02:56 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,614 times
Quote:

While I don't think we will have much in common since I do put much emphasis on the bible in my life at the same time your beliefs are your free will. I don't try to force you to do anything nor my "duty" to force others however if ones ask questions I will response with my beliefs based on the bible. If you don't ask me or present the opportunity then I don't share my beliefs on you, there's difference between sharing and forcing. However, if a question is asked on a forum whose purpose is to discuss then why get mad at those doing the very thing of it's intended use?
Nothing wrong with asking questions, reading and quoting the bible, and sharing your own personal beliefs. I think it is great to have discussions and share beliefs and experiences. It is when people think they are the ONLY ones that are right, have no respect for other beliefs, and think they have some kind of obligation to change others and what they believe in (like someone posted "it's time to start fixing things"). This is how religion can become dangerous.

This goes for atheists as well who think they have some kind of duty to "educate" the "ignorant" believers, and who also try to shove their beliefs onto everyone else because they think they are the only ones that are right.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Rather simplistic statement considering the huge number of things that the RCC got dead wrong over the centuries, supposedly under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

But I do agree that Holy Spirit > Scripture, so we're on the same page in principal.
I had no idea who the RCC was or is... as far as I knew it was Riverside Community College.

I am no part of them and they don't represent me no more than Jesse Jackson or any other sound piece who claims to speak for me as well.

The most beautiful thing about the bible is it's simple message. Sure some want to make the bible more difficult or twist for personal agenda but Matt 11:25 and Luke 10:21 says he's revealed them to children, meaning those who think they're wise cannot understand but those the world thinks as ignorant or simple are the ones who can understand.

The parts of the bible that are essential to please God and serve him well are clearly understood while parts of the bible less cleat where we speculate or give personal interpretation is just that... human thoughts either based on other scriptures or personal opinion until God reveals these things.

The question is if the bible is inspired by God why would one measure holy spirit against the bible?

Old 09-25-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

Catholic Church tradition, (since yes, it is centuries old) is multi-leveled, complex and not easily explained. The root of it is the Holy Spirit. That's why I gave that answer. (I was aiming for simple.)

Old 09-25-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
Nothing wrong with asking questions, reading and quoting the bible, and sharing your own personal beliefs. I think it is great to have discussions and share beliefs and experiences. It is when people think they are the ONLY ones that are right, have no respect for other beliefs, and think they have some kind of obligation to change others and what they believe in (like someone posted "it's time to start fixing things"). This is how religion can become dangerous.
The best thing about learning to apply the bible to our lives is understanding ones with different backgrounds or faiths can and DO make excellent points to agree on. I also agree no man should expect to be all knowing and no one should FORCE his beliefs. However as we both also agree discussing and follow up questions ,as long as respectful, can be beneficial and encouraging.

I've said many times I am nothing more than a humbled bible student that has come to appreciate the beauty of the bibles message. While I may disagree with other beliefs or traditions I'm also respectful knowing in the past others have readjusted my thoughts or some will not see things my way so I still show love while having other thoughts.

We agree religion has been dangerous and had its hands bloodied in the deaths of MILLIONS and MILLIONS! So it's no surprise that God destroys false religion and restores pure worship so all can come to accurate knowledge. Thanks for your input and responding in a civil way people like you keep me reminded how to discuss things with others as oppose to being overbearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity