Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 12:57 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
cali's more liberal,however,they must see this guy as an easy target,imo,or they wouldn't be going after him.hugh w his millions to defend himself,would not be that easy.
I get the feeling utah is more worried about it's public image than anything else,and that means it could affect things like the tourist industry (just throwing out a guess here).
I think it's more a matter of there just being so many cases and a limited number of public servants to seek them out, arrest and prosecute them. Obviously, when someone goes on TV and says, "Hey everybody! I'm committing a crime!", a big part of the job has been done -- identifying the offended. You'd be surprised how easily it is for people like this to fade into the crowd. There are so much more serious crimes for law enforcement to be worried about than this.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:16 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
80 some year old Hugh Hefner lives with three girlfriends for years in california and hes a hero to millions...some guy in utah has as a legal matter one adult wife and two adult girlfriends,which he supports himself and hes a big villan?As long as hes not playing the 'my two girlfriends are single moms who deserve public benefits'game I don't really care.Plenty of guys in the rest of the country have children with 2,3,6,10 different women and nobody criminally charges them with anything......despite the fact that many of these children are fed primarily through tax dollars.

He not only works but the wives do to. Only one wife is the caretaker of the children.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:11 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
A waste of time, if it invloved child marriages and compound living I can see getting involved. Leave them alone.

What is the big deal?

It is how they chose to live, and from what I can see, they are happier than most. They harm no one and if they wanted to move next door to me, I would take them a welcome cake. And if they were involved with child marriages or holding people against their will, I would be their worst enemy. Some people have too much time on their hands and stick their noses into everyone else's business and bedroom.

Their life style choice and gay marriages are in transition to a healthier place. My prayers are with them. Live and let live.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:15 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
At least he and his wives take care of their children and the kids look really happy........

I have more issues with the Duggers who have been popping out babies to the tune of 19 and she isn't done yet even after having a micro premie...

Old 03-14-2011, 07:40 PM

I lost my Dad when I was four so those kids are lucky to still have a Dad and loving parents. The life style isn't for me, but if it works for them why not let them be happy? I think people forget that in the early days of this country, some men had several wives as the male life expectancy was short and it was in the women's best interest to have a support system. Today, some parents teaching their own kids to do drugs or worse are the ones public funds should be invested in.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:58 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
I could care less if people want to marry more than one person - if they are all consenting adults and perfectly aware of the situation. I mean, I certainly wouldn't want to be one of several wives - I'm kind of jealous and I need a lot of attention! But hey - if it works for them - it's not bothering me any!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 PM

I totally agree. It did seem a little like #1 was being replaced by #4 - apparently a younger version, but if it works for them... I would go for the Super Glue.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times
I think they're all really nice people and I do feel kind of bad for them.

That being said, I have to wonder if they didn't have their heads stuck in the sand a little bit. The bigamy law in Utah is pretty cut and dry and with the TV show I have a hard time believing that no one told them (lawyers, friends, anyone) about the law.

But I agree that the law does need to be changed.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:09 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I think they're all really nice people and I do feel kind of bad for them.

That being said, I have to wonder if they didn't have their heads stuck in the sand a little bit. The bigamy law in Utah is pretty cut and dry and with the TV show I have a hard time believing that no one told them (lawyers, friends, anyone) about the law.

But I agree that the law does need to be changed.
But he is only legally married to his first wife, so I don't see how he is legally committing bigamy or polygamy for that matter.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:24 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
But he is only legally married to his first wife, so I don't see how he is legally committing bigamy or polygamy for that matter.
That's not what bigamy is defined as in Utah.

Search the Utah Code (http://le.utah.gov/dtForms/code.html - broken link)

76-7-101. Bigamy -- Defense.
(1) A person is guilty of bigamy when, knowing he has a husband or wife or knowing the other person has a husband or wife, the person purports to marry another person or cohabits with another person.

It took me seconds to find that law... I just can't imagine a lawyer or someone they knew or even one of them not looking up the laws in Utah and realizing that coming out in the open was going to have consequences.

They are purporting that they are all married to Kody. Being legally married doesn't matter in Utah.

Before you criticize Utah for their bigamy law, you have to realize that they were denied statehood several times because of polygamy, so I think because of this they have made their bigamy laws a little more stringent in an effort to try and show that they truly are against polygamy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity