Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 03:16 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Apparently, biblers still aren't understanding what was modified.

And pork and shellfish are only mans ideas, not Gods. Food sustains us and it really doesn't matter what we eat as long as it's in moderation. If we eat right, including shellfish and pork, and exercise, we can live to be old and healthy. It's just common sense there.
In the OT God told us to abstain from pork and shellfish and of recent we understand why and know how to prepare them for consumption but they still are consider dangerous. God/Jesus lift the ban on all foods in a vision to Peter to show that he should never reject a fellow believer for their race saying that all people are clean to receive the Word as well as all food are clean for consumption. Yes as long as we consume in moderation which God addressed this as well long before either of us were born.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:18 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
[/font][/color]

I really have to seperate what you have said here, please forgive me;

Pertaining to the above and based one what we have both agreed upon,"We are to be like Jesus", read the actual words of Jesus within the Bible, get the red letter version and only read the red and see how Jesus talked.

[color=black][font=Verdana]

And to act in love is to be like Christ word for word.
Mark 12 29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”

Like that?

Old 11-13-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Which version of his word, the translation that has nothing to do with homosexuality or the one that does?
Is there such a translation?

Old 11-13-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Moderator cut: deleted

And no, I'm not gay. I'm a happily married man.

Do you confront your childrens shortcomings (when they disrespect you) by taking them in the backyard and stoning them to death like the OT commands? Or do you give them the easy out by simply removing the X Box from their bedroom? What I just stated is about as ludicrous as your quote in bold is.

Your post is one of the most insensitive things I've seen on CD in a long time. If you consider yourself a true "Christian", I feel sorry for other Christians who will be labeled intolerant because of your hatred.
You do realize stoning went out along time ago, LOL.

Oh ask around this doesnt top my list, not even close.

Did I say you were gay?

Old 11-13-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The hatred exhibited by many posters here is most unseemly but represents the very negative side of christianity. You can't tell me you are following a loving god while having so much hate in your words.

"A man who is convinced of the truth of his religion is indeed never tolerant. At the least, he is to feel pity for the adherent of another religion but usually it does not stop there. The faithful adherent of a religion will try first of all to convince those that believe in another religion and usually he goes on to hatred if he is not successful. However, hatred then leads to persecution when the might of the majority is behind it." - Albert Einstein

“Cruel persecutions and intolerance are not accidents, but grow out of the very essence of religion, namely, its absolute claims” Morris Cohen

“No human trait deserves less tolerance in everyday life, and gets less, than intolerance” Giacomo Leopardi
Where is the hatred? Please show me where I have expressed hatred.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Mark 12 29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”

Like that?
Read more and you might understand what being like Jesus means.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:33 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
Quote:
Please read the Bible, if the are sinning whether homosexual sex or fornication then they are not showing love but lust. If they loved one another then they would obey Gods Word and not commit the sins. There is no love in sin. Please as I have said before, read the Bible.
I've already read it. It left a lot to be desired. I find that Divine Love is the best way to go concerning finding the Truth. When we Love and are love, we come to understand others and the whys of things that at one time we may have been offended by. Growing in Love covers everything and heals everything. Homosexuality is a trait that we are born with and nothing can take it away. It's like being born with black hair. You know that it will be black your whole life yet you don't like it. You dye it and yet, beneath all the coloring, it's still black. Same with gays. They can try to cover it up for the sake of "religion" yet they are still gay even if they proclaim they aren't just to fit in.

Society has forgotten that we belong to God and not each other. We are each other belonging to that one God. It's not for any of us to say what is right or wrong or what book is the best or what food to eat. It's only up to us what we do with ourselves. I've read your bible. The important things I have made my own as they are also in agreement with my own beliefs. The rest can be discarded because it isn't something that will get me into heaven. You claim that a belief in Jesus is all you need. If so, why are you still clinging to other things and not just that one thing that you believe will get you to heaven.

I love God and I love people. It doesn't get any better than that. Everything else is extra baggage that I don't want to carry because they have no bearing on my entrance into heaven. So, you can tell me and tell me to read the bible but I tell ya, reading the bible doesn't get anyone into heaven. Doing what Jesus has asked of us does. Loving God and our neighbor. If you can't do that then I'd suggest you find a new religion or set of beliefs to follow as yours isn't doing a very good job of teaching to understand God and our own spirituality.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Please read the Bible, if the are sinning whether homosexual sex or fornication then they are not showing love but lust. If they loved one another then they would obey Gods Word and not commit the sins. There is no love in sin. Please as I have said before, read the Bible.
The word lust is often mistranslated.

In Luke 22:15 Jesus said “And He said to them, "I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer;” Yet in Matthew 5-27-28 the famous “lust” line is used. But both times the word 'ἐπιθυμέω' is used in Greek, yet one time they say “lust” in a bad way, the next time and every other time in a good way?

It is not “lust” (desire) that is wrong but the desire to take (adultery, taking a mans wife) is the sin, not simply allowing your physical desire happen.

Read the bible, not just what is being fed to you by modern translators but learn the meanings of words.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Read more and you might understand what being like Jesus means.
I have and it certanly does not mean act like the Church Lady.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:37 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We have spent far too long revering the pimitive ignorance of our ancestors as God's word and stagnating the evolution of understanding about our loving God that Jesus came to proclaim. Grow up and engage your intellect. Jesus' example was unambiguous for any who actually try to see it instead of blindly following the "precepts and doctrines of men" steeped in primitive ignorance!
You make broad, arrogant comments about something you obviously know nothing about beyond your own opinionated ignorance! ... Look at the facts, not what you simply think. Apparently, you have not "spent far too long revering the primitive ignorance of our ancestors as God's word etc" -- Time to engage YOUR intellect ... instead of simply stating what you believe as 'blind fact'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity