Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 03:58 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,965,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
The whole thing about religion is this: it shouldn't be about "picking the right religion". It should be simply about trying to find the truth. The truth of our existence, why we are here, the purpose for everything.

From my vantage point it is obvious there is a creator. From there we branch out and ask who is this creator, why did He create, does He even care about us? Thus religion forms based on the answers to these questions.

Christianity gets a lot right in the truth department IMHO, although traditions have corrupted what Jesus actually taught (Love God, love your neighbor, love your enemy).

And God wouldn't need to say "hmm...we have to do something about this....we have to intervene now". God already knows everything. God intended the OT people to be veiled, then for Jesus to come.

God is revealing things slowly so we will learn something.

If you don't believe there is a creator in the first place, then this probably won't make any sense to you.
It's impossible for a god to know everything. A god cannot know everything and have free will at the same time. To know everything means that he would not need to make decisions, such as sending people to heaven or hell, because it's already known to him. And if he knows everything, then he knows whether we are going to heaven or hell, which means nothing matters in our lives, because it's predetermined by a god anyway. If God knows everything, they why does he need to judge us when we die? This is such a figment of human imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 03:59 PM

1,224 posts, read 4,002,102 times
OP: Asking myself this question has lead me to become Agnostic.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:05 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,965,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Same here. I grew up as a Catholic, then didnt even think about religion between the ages of 13 and 23. But, from ages 23-26, I warmed up to religion again (Christianity) and seriously believed in God and everything and tried to enhance my life with its principles and have faith. However, over the past several months, I have learned perhaps the greatest life lesson: Religion is completely irrelevant to human behavior and life overall. It simply makes no difference. Trust me...I used to cringe at atheists, but after thinking rationally and reading lots of atheist literature, life makes so much more sense now. I can't believe how deluded I was!

Old 12-08-2010, 04:50 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,135,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It's impossible for a god to know everything. A god cannot know everything and have free will at the same time. To know everything means that he would not need to make decisions, such as sending people to heaven or hell, because it's already known to him. And if he knows everything, then he knows whether we are going to heaven or hell, which means nothing matters in our lives, because it's predetermined by a god anyway. If God knows everything, they why does he need to judge us when we die? This is such a figment of human imagination.
And in one fell swoop you have shown why we don't have free will and why hell does not exist! Well done...

As to whether God has "free will" or not - well its difficult for us humans to imagine what it would be like "outside of time" so to speak.

Anyway - it does not mean that nothing matters, because we are gaining valuable experience in this life.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:57 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,406,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Christ and it is not a religion but a relationship and Jesus appeared throughout the OT in the form of the Angel of God.

No other denomination has a leader that is still alive.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:41 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,009,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So tell me. Among the thousands of religions invented by man, what suddenly makes Christianity the right one? Every devout member of their respective religion swears that their religion is the right one. Why do you think Christianity is right and all other religions are wrong? I find it extremely hard to believe that Christianity is even anything of substance at all, considering how the Old Testament was completely written before Jesus even supposedly existed on Earth.

If you do say that Christianity is the right religion, that means Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism and all the other hundreds of religions out there are all WRONG! But Christianity is right?

And what about all the years Jesus was supposed to make a second coming to Earth?

247, 365, 500, 848, 992, 1184, 1290, 1335, 1524, 1603, 1716, 1763, 1792, 1805, 1843, 1844, 1845, 1878, 1910, 1914, 1936, 1945, 1952, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1988, 1992, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, and more.

Never happened.
It it the right religion religion for those who thinks it is to THEM. Problem is, some of them believe it is the right religion for everybody else and that does not always go over very well.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:56 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,983,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Dear Milleka, I'd rather you be agnostic than atheist.

What do you think of all the many prophesies given over thousands of years by many different prophets concerning Jesus Christ and the odds of all of them coming true?

To me, that is just another thought that is very powerful.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:57 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
What makes Christianity the "right" religion?

An empty tomb.
never proven, could be hearsay....

Old 12-08-2010, 07:58 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Christ and it is not a religion but a relationship and Jesus appeared throughout the OT in the form of the Angel of God.

Jesus is NOT in the Hebrew Scripture aka what you call the Old Testament. He is a New Testament character.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:30 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,320,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
What makes Christianity the "right" religion?

An empty tomb.
Yes. No resurrection, our faith is in vain. Though i do not believe in christianity one iota, but as a believer in the accomplishment of God in Christ, i would say there is nothing to compare with the knowledge that God is not counting our sins against us, it gives you a clear conscience,along with peace in your heart and joy unspeakable. Beyond comprehension ? yes, but somehow by the grace of God i believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity