Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Christians happier, less anxious, well adjusted and responsible than nonChristians?
I am a Christian, and I am happier, less anxious, well adjusted and responsible. 11 42.31%
I am a Christian, and I am NOT happier, less anxious, well adjusted and responsible. 1 3.85%
I am a NOT Christian, and the Christians I know appear happier, less anxious, well adjusted and responsible. 1 3.85%
I am a NOT Christian, and the Christians I know do NOT appear happier, less anxious, well adjusted and responsible. 13 50.00%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 11:20 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,552,952 times

Advertisements

I am reading Donald A. Wells' "God, Man, and the Thinker," and came across the point in his section on "What is Philosophy of Religion?" where he uses the logic:

"If, for example, it is claimed that Christian persons are happier, freer from anxiety, better adjusted to their world, and more responsible citizens, then...."

The book was published in 1962, and I am only on the second chapter so I don't know what his conclusions are, yet, but the comment got me to wondering, so I am presenting the question as a poll.

Thanks in advance to those that participate. Bless you. 8)

Old 12-31-2010, 11:29 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,896,799 times
I think Christianity makes a lot of people feel better, but it sure seems to screw up some people.

So, all in all, I think it comes out even. Christians are just like the rest of us.

At this point in your poll, 100% of the respondents agree with me.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:37 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Define 'Christian'? Practically all Americans define themselves as 'Christian'.

I am much happier, at peace, loving, compassionate, honest, better adjusted to their world, and more responsible since the day I was saved. I classified myself as Christian before that, but it was the day when I got saved that made the difference.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 12-31-2010 at 11:51 AM..

Old 12-31-2010, 11:49 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I am reading Donald A. Wells' "God, Man, and the Thinker," and came across the point in his section on "What is Philosophy of Religion?" where he uses the logic:

"If, for example, it is claimed that Christian persons are happier, freer from anxiety, better adjusted to their world, and more responsible citizens, then...."

The book was published in 1962, and I am only on the second chapter so I don't know what his conclusions are, yet, but the comment got me to wondering, so I am presenting the question as a poll.

Thanks in advance to those that participate. Bless you. 8)
I think it all depends on what that particular person is looking for in this world. In my own experience, christians are no different than a person who is not a christian. I do know people of other denominations who seem much more attuned with themselves than a lot of christians I know. I also think it is the fear in what is expected of them that "keeps them in line" rather than them wanting it all on their own.

Christians use the label of christian more that they participate in being a christian, IMO.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:49 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
I'm irresponsible and maladjusted.

But I'm happy, and content.

Not sure how to answer the poll?

Old 12-31-2010, 03:25 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,625,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I think Christianity makes a lot of people feel better, but it sure seems to screw up some people.

So, all in all, I think it comes out even. Christians are just like the rest of us.

This is a good answer and very true......I voted that I was happier as a Christian because I truly am but I know Christians that are NOT happy, no matter what. It does seem to really screw up some people.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:34 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
I voted that I'm a non Christian and that the Christians that I know are not happier, etc. But I agree with many others - it really depends on the person. I think people are so eager to categorize things - Christians are this, non Christians are that, Christians are moral, non Christians are hedonists, yada yada yada. To be perfectly honest, I think a person's religion has less to do with all of these things than the person's personality, upbringing, mental health, etc. We are all so different. Maybe religion brings peace to some that wouldn't otherwise have it. Maybe some people just aren't peaceful people. Maybe some people are very peaceful and content with out religion. I really think it just depends on the person. I'm by nature, a very happy, well adjusted, peaceful person.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:44 PM

823 posts, read 1,402,106 times
I am a Christian and I feel so blessed in my life and I believe that is because God has been with me through all of the tough times. I do not fear Hell or damnation but if I were Christian and worried & obsessed about that a lot I think it would be a tough life to live. I also have many believers within my circle and they too seem to have well adjusted lives - then again I have some friends that do not believe that are happy or at least I think they are

So I too believe that it all depends on the person and where they are on their journey!

Old 12-31-2010, 03:48 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post

I agree with you for the most part.

I think people who are already well adjusted stay well adjusted, even after understanding and accepting the Good News. Those who were maladjusted and had emotional problems feel better for awhile after being "saved" from doom, but my mom was a prime example of what happens to those who are not well, become well after hearing the GOOD news and then stay in the religious system (fundamentalist) too danged long and get beaten down by the doctrine of eternal punishment. They already know they are not well inside, and the God which is presented to them becomes something dark after awhile. They tend to take the preaching and the hells and the doctrines of the church very seriously, and they end up basket cases. Of course. Who wouldn't?

Much of Christianity and it's doctrines makes absolutely no sense. Those who are smart, thinking, and fearless (concerning the afterlife) oftentimes walk away, but those who are full of fear after being in the system too long no longer think. They just collapse under the weight. They know something is wrong, but they can't figure it out. And before the invention of the internet, they really had nowhere to go to study anything on their own. They were at the "mercy" of the men who run the system. And the Bible bullies always popped up and beat them down even more when they had questions or disagreed with the system. The system has damaged many beyond repair, and they get pushed to the bottom or patted on the head, and they eventually drop out altogether.

Only the (emotionally) strong survive in the fundamentalist system. It's truly Darwinistic.

Last edited by herefornow; 12-31-2010 at 04:04 PM..

Old 12-31-2010, 03:57 PM

8,179 posts, read 6,929,698 times
I'll tell you that for me, I became FAR less anxious, FAR happier and FAR better adjusted when I discovered that:

1. Love conquers ALL.
2. God is Love.

I didn't vote because, I'm just not into labels.. "christian" has really no meaning to me. Too many views under that umbrella that don't align with mine. I'm just a human being who has finally come to understand that the Creator loves what He has created and He will not let any of us down.
Finally having complete trust in the one that has Created us and everything around us, has brought me unspeakable joy that no-one can take away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity