Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:25 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
There is one word which has been used in scripture, which leaves some ambiguity and leads to division regarding exactly "how effective" the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ was. That word is "might."

Example: "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." 2 Cor. 5.21

Those of traditional circles would say that this word "might" means that there is the possibility, but no guarantee, that we are made righteous.

However, I believe this word is used to indicate purpose. As for example, "I bought a loaf of bread so that I might eat."

There are many other examples of "might" in the NT: "And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene." Matt. 2.23

It is quite clear that Jesus was indeed called a Nazarene. It was a purpose, a reason, and not "so that there is a possibility, but without certainty that it would be fulfilled."

"And consulted that they might take Jesus by subtilty, and kill him." Matt. 26.4 -No cause for doubt here, they had a purpose, a mission.

So let's look at a more poignant example:
"For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." John 3.17

This is the purpose, the reason why Jesus came. It was not "with the hope that some people might be saved," but "in order to save the world."

The word "might" in scripture is used improperly in many circles, imo.

Your thoughts please...?

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 10:34 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,030 times
Nice post once again Brian.

Here come the rebuttals from the ET camp. They are mad when they see these posts about UR, after all, they've been laboring out in the field all day for 200 denari and the master just hired some more laborers at 4:30 and they too are going to get 200 denari. Thats not fair.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:45 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Nice post once again Brian.

Here come the rebuttals from the ET camp. They are mad when they see these posts about UR, after all, they've been laboring out in the field all day for 200 denari and the master just hired some more laborers at 4:30 and they too are going to get 200 denari. Thats not fair.
LOL! That's so funny Zero but oh-so-true.

Brian, you are right, the word "might" is another one of those words that has a different meaning in the Bible, like in the examples you presented. It is intent, not a "maybe" or might in the sense that we use it. Geez I wish the Eter's would study a little bit.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:25 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
"For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." John 3.17

This is the purpose, the reason why Jesus came. It was not "with the hope that some people might be saved," but "in order to save the world."

Your thoughts please...?

Blessings,
brian
Actually, might doesn't even exist, and was added into the text. Jesus came to save Israel, period. The 'world' which He is talking about. Sadly, the people who claimed to be OF Abraham, and Israel, were not ALL such people, as described by Jesus Himself.

I actually used this argument when I believed in Ur for a spell. Might is NOT in there.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:54 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: orphaned
Actually, it does matter. You cannot lie to people about salvation. If their going to believe, they must accept basic biblical truth. The Holy Bible is not at all a sweet word. It's the word of life and the truth. And the truth is there is an eternal hell where sinners go and never come back. Generations of sinful ancient people of cultures and nations have been sent there to never see the light of day again. That is the MAJOR price you pay for being unrepentant and rejecting the gospel and salvation when it was offered to you. And it's not like they get that one chance. I think everyone is called to God until the day they die. So there is no excuse if they keep rejecting him and end up there. You cannot twist scripture for your own emotional gain. I have met some Universalist on here that were ready to reject Christ if they accepted Hell was real. Saying they could not worship a God that would do that to people. All I have to say is that you gotta be really stupid to want to sacrifice your OWN eternal salvation and end up in Hell because your busy worrying about everyone else. You don't walk with them or hold hands on judgement day. We all stand alone. Therefore what we do on Earth and what we say and our salvation is judged alone. The only thing you should be concerned about is getting others saved while there is still time for them. But many UR don't because they think everyone is going to Heaven when God clearly says otherwise in scripture.

Last edited by june 7th; 01-14-2011 at 09:58 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 02:58 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Actually, it does matter. You cannot lie to people about salvation. If their going to believe, they must accept basic biblical truth. The Holy Bible is not at all a sweet word. It's the word of life and the truth. And the truth is there is an eternal hell where sinners go and never come back. Generations of sinful ancient people of cultures and nations have been sent there to never see the light of day again. That is the MAJOR price you pay for being unrepentant and rejecting the gospel and salvation when it was offered to you. And it's not like they get that one chance. I think everyone is called to God until the day they die. So there is no excuse if they keep rejecting him and end up there. You cannot twist scripture for your own emotional gain. I have met some Universalist on here that were ready to reject Christ if they accepted Hell was real. Saying they could not worship a God that would do that to people. All I have to say is that you gotta be really stupid to want to sacrifice your OWN eternal salvation and end up in Hell because your busy worrying about everyone else. You don't walk with them or hold hands on judgement day. We all stand alone. Therefore what we do on Earth and what we say and our salvation is judged alone. The only thing you should be concerned about is getting others saved while there is still time for them. But many UR don't because they think everyone is going to Heaven when God clearly says otherwise in scripture.
I believed exactly like you for over 30 years so I know where your coming from. I just happen to believe allenk893, that there are more scriptures pointing to UR than ET, but that's my opinion. God bless.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I believed exactly like you for over 30 years so I know where your coming from. I just happen to believe allenk893, that there are more scriptures pointing to UR than ET, but that's my opinion. God bless.
Okay the devil must be smarter than I thought because he's pulling the wool over many Christian's eyes in the last days!! What is up with all these people who once believed in the full word of God and have turned it in to Moderator cut: deleted universalism!! When Jesus returns for his church, how are you suppose to be raptured if you haven't repented for your sins? Universalism teaches that you can sin all you want and when you die, come into the kingdom of Heaven. This is nothing short of a lie.

Last edited by june 7th; 01-15-2011 at 04:33 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 03:07 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Okay the devil must be smarter than I thought because he's pulling the wool over many Christian's eyes in the last days!! What is up with all these people who once believed in the full word of God and have turned it in to Moderator cut: Orphaned universalism!! When Jesus returns for his church, how are you suppose to be raptured if you haven't repented for your sins? Universalism teaches that you can sin all you want and when you die, come into the kingdom of Heaven. This is nothing short of a lie.
You obviously haven't repented from your sins(using your analogy of repenting), because that's a bare faced lie, or you believe a lie.

Last edited by june 7th; 01-15-2011 at 04:34 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You obviously haven't repented from your sins(using your analogy of repenting), because that's a bare faced lie, or you believe a lie.
I obviously haven't repented from my sins?? I probably repent every single day of my life. Tell me what is the point of a universalist repenting if we are all going to be saved? Nothing. I can do whatever I want and be saved right?!

Old 01-14-2011, 03:13 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi all!
There is one word which has been used in scripture, which leaves some ambiguity and leads to division regarding exactly "how effective" the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ was. That word is "might."

Example: "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." 2 Cor. 5.21

Those of traditional circles would say that this word "might" means that there is the possibility, but no guarantee, that we are made righteous.

However, I believe this word is used to indicate purpose. As for example, "I bought a loaf of bread so that I might eat."

There are many other examples of "might" in the NT: "And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene." Matt. 2.23

It is quite clear that Jesus was indeed called a Nazarene. It was a purpose, a reason, and not "so that there is a possibility, but without certainty that it would be fulfilled."

"And consulted that they might take Jesus by subtilty, and kill him." Matt. 26.4 -No cause for doubt here, they had a purpose, a mission.

Your thoughts please...?

Blessings,
brian
Agreed: might does not mean "maybe/maybe not" but that it is an intent - it will happen.

1 Tim 1:16
But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity