Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:45 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,748,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
Ok, sir Alpha, what is the verse about hanging with the wrong crowd in the Bible? I know it's there, it just slips my memory at the moment.

Yes, Jesus did dine with them, and he explained that it was to heal them as a physician heals the sick. He wanted to help them.

I am not saying we shun people of different religions with hatred, the Bible commands that I show compassion and love, but condem their belief.

I am not saying that there is not going to be someone of a different religion in my home, I am saying that I will not teach different religions in my home to my children.
def agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 10:46 AM

358 posts, read 916,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Anyone, unless they are a criminal of some sort, is welcome in our home.
Thank you! I extend the same welcome to you. I only hope that you don't consider someone who receives a speeding ticket a criminal.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:49 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,523,795 times
I never taught my children other religions. I taught myself other religions after I was a firm christian. I did this because I was curious about it and it helped me to understand other beliefs, and why people had them. My children are grown now and they have a strong christian background (except one agnostic). They are free to search the other religions if they choose to. I will say a prayer that they are searching for information only

Old 07-18-2007, 10:50 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,202,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
The more I read the views of the "sampling" of Christians on here, the more I think "Christianity" is not for me. I certainly believe in God and believe that Jesus died for my sins, but as for the rest (especially the Old Testament), I think it's a bunch of bunk written in an ancient time by MEN who wanted to control the populace and women.

(stand back while lightning strikes)

Anyone, unless they are a criminal of some sort, is welcome in our home. I truly think Jesus wanted us to love MORE people in this world, not FEWER (regardless of their beliefs). Maybe I'm naive.
I hear thunder.

I agree with this to an extent, but I wouldn't go so far as to call "the rest" a bunch of bunk. I do think that the Bible has been subjected to and written by imperfect and fallible man. It's obvious that personal agendas have snuck in. But there are many spirituals truths to be found in the Bible.

I believe Jesus came to save the world, and accomplished just that. God's perfect will is for someone to acknowledge and accept that work in this life and walk in God's promises and blessings. So, it's good to share this knowledge, and the best way to start is by showing love, as Jesus said to do.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:51 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,278,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovejazz View Post
That's what makes people very vulnerable to cults. I think every person, regardless of religion, should know the basics of major religions.

A well-rounded ducation is high on the list of priorities for my family. Again (I'm not sure you understand), I'm talking about simply learning that other religions exist and what the basic beliefs are. I want my children to grow up knowing what's in the world around them.
I would personally have never considered teaching the tenets of other religions to my son. I am a believer in Christianity and that's what I wanted him to believe as well. That said, in high school one of his courses in world history, I think, did cover a sampling of the doctrines of the world's main religions including Christianity. I had no objection to that. Though, looking back on it, maybe I should have.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:52 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,480,435 times
Quote:
I am not saying we shun people of different religions with hatred, the Bible commands that I show compassion and love, but condem their belief.
I guess my point is, you can only condemn their belief if you understand what that belief is. It seems to me that "walling off" information about other religions reflects a lack of faith in Christianity.

Again, I'm not trying to flame or disrespect you here, I'm trying to understand your POV. I don't talk about religion much, for some reason people ignore my comments when I post on this particular board.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:57 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,672,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I guess my point is, you can only condemn their belief if you understand what that belief is. It seems to me that "walling off" information about other religions reflects a lack of faith in Christianity.

Again, I'm not trying to flame or disrespect you here, I'm trying to understand your POV.

I do understand you are not trying to flame me. It is really simple to understand my POV though.

Jesus set out explicit instructions on how we conduct ourselves, and being human, we all fall short of this, but being a follower of Jesus we strive to be the best christians we can be.

We are commanded to have no others before Him, therefore I see no need of learning about other religions at this state in my life.

I would not be following what He wants for me if I were to do that.

Since I believe in Him, I trust Him and Love Him, and want to please Him.

How pleasing will I be to Him if I delibertly go against His teachings?

Against what He died for?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:58 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,639,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Excellent, excellent post, Alpha!

I would also like to add, that anyone who talks and talks and talks about how their views are trampled on by Christians, and how annoying Christians are, and we're the only religion trying to convert people, blah, blah, blah-has never spent real time in a country with a huge Muslim population.

I am a first generation American. All of my relatives come from Middle Eastern countries, . Egypt, Assyria, Lebanon, Turkey, and some from France (huge Muslim population there, also). I'll tell you this, spend a few years in any of the above and you'll fall down on your knees and thank SOMEONE if not God that you are surrounded by annoying Christians concerned about your salvation.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.
I am French and have travelled widely through the middle east, I have NEVER encountered ANY Muslims trying to convert me . I have very politely been told about Islam but nothing remotely counting as preaching. Obviously we have had very different experiences. In fact I don't remember anybody apart from Christians trying to convert me to their religion.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:00 AM

358 posts, read 916,820 times
Quote:
Do you honestly believe that condemning other religions is a way to entice people to your own religion?

I now understand why a lot of people don't get along in the world.

Condemn a person if he doesn't share your views!

What a vitriolic philosophy of life.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:02 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,748,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post

Again, I'm not trying to flame or disrespect you here, I'm trying to understand your POV. I don't talk about religion much, for some reason people ignore my comments when I post on this particular board.
no ignoring here...the main point of the whole thread here was sparked by not wanting or letting our children be exposed to certain things, tv shows, movies etc, that one might feel they shouldnt watch. Christians and non Christians pretty much agreed alot of stuff was just junk. Since Ive been an adult, Ive learned about alot of different religions, because like its been posted here, I cant talk to someone about My faith in Christ if I dont understand their belief or sets of beliefs, that being said, I want my children raised in a Christian enviroment, where God is who we rely on, doesnt the Bible say..train up a child in the way that is right, and when he is old..he will not depart from it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity