Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 04:14 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
My brothers and sisters . . . the implications of God's consciousness (thoughts) as the basis for our reality are poorly understood because we simply do not think of thoughts as "substance" . . . (our fleeting thoughts). This makes them too abstract . . . so most people do not understand the meaning of "God IS Love." But that means that the essential "substance" of God is what we mistakenly believe is an amorphous complex "feeling" . . . not the very basis of our entire reality.

This misunderstanding and confusion exists because our human love is not even a poor copy of God's love . . . it is corrupted by the selfishness and lustful carnality of our animal nature. Even the platonic and familial love of friends and family is selfishly centered on the treatment we receive and have received from them.

But God IS pure love . . . that means that the"state of mind" that forms the very essence of God is unconditional love of all life . . . because God IS life itself. This does not mean what the fundies seem to fear it means . . . that there are no consequences for our "non-love" actions and behaviors. Consequences exist for everything . . . and the primitive meaning of "wrath" taken in the abstract . . . simply means consequences.

Consequences exist for ALL violations (meaning failures to follow) of God's laws ("laws" of physics, chemistry, morality, etc.). But as I have repeatedly said . . . we don't consider the violations of His physical "laws" to be "punishments" . . . so why do we consider the violations of the other "laws" to be so. Short answer . . . our primitive ancestors did not have the cognitive understanding to override their animal natures and fears sufficiently even to consider such abstractions. The concept of autonomous self-control . . . (as distinct from obedience to a "King" of one kind or another) . . . was not a common mode of thought.

Bottom line: . . . Agape Love is the essential "key" of God's universal "symphony" and we are supposed to do our best to "play our Soul Songs" in that "key" . . . or face the consequences of "re-tuning" until we do.
Thanks for posting that Mystic.

I think that perhaps when we are being "re-tuned", earthly carnal minds call it "God's wrath", when in fact is simply a "readjustment" so to speak.

A spanking to a toddler seems like "pure wrath" when it is actually more of a "retuning" and is done in love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 04:58 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Thanks for posting that Mystic.

I think that perhaps when we are being "re-tuned", earthly carnal minds call it "God's wrath", when in fact is simply a "readjustment" so to speak.

A spanking to a toddler seems like "pure wrath" when it is actually more of a "retuning" and is done in love.
Reminds me of a "correction" to the market, a 10% or more drop - quite painful to the flesh.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:21 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Ok there are a bunch of problems here with what you are trying to say.

The common English use of "jealous" has the definition of "suspicious or fearful of being displaced by a rival (ie. a jealous lover)". It also has connotations of being resentful or envious. Is that what you think God is?
That is the image often used when "unfaithful" or "bride" is used in scripture.
Jeremiah 3:20
But like a woman unfaithful to her husband, so you have been unfaithful to me, O house of Israel,” declares the LORD.

Hosea 9:1
Do not rejoice, O Israel; do not be jubilant like the other nations. For you have been unfaithful to your God; you love the wages of a prostitute at every threshing floor.

Isaiah 61:10
I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

Isaiah 62:5
As a young man marries a maiden, so will your sons marry you; as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you.

Matthew 25:1
[ The Parable of the Ten Virgins ] “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.

Revelation 19:7
Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready.

Quote:
Question: if you think God will not show love to those who reject them,
Yes...At some point (primarily after death) God will not show love to those who reject him. As it is written..."Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows"

Quote:
will you show love to those who reject him?
Yes. As it is written:
Romans 12:19
Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord.

Quote:
Does this not contradict His command to love your enemies?
No ... because God has the right. As it is written:

Romans 12:19
Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:17 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
That is the image often used when "unfaithful" or "bride" is used in scripture.
Yes...At some point (primarily after death) God will not show love to those who reject him. As it is written..."Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows"
No ... because God has the right. As it is written:
The carnal mind cannot even comprehend the existence of no vengeance, anger, jealousy, etc. . . . because the negative emotions are too central to our animal natures. They cannot conceive of their absence . . . even in God. Sad . . . very sad.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:25 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
The carnal mind cannot even comprehend the existence of no vengeance, anger, jealousy, etc. . . . because the negative emotions are too central to our animal natures. They cannot conceive of their absence . . . even in God. Sad . . . very sad.

Mystic, it is very sad. I agree, brother.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:31 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
My brothers and sisters . . . the implications of God's consciousness (thoughts) as the basis for our reality are poorly understood because we simply do not think of thoughts as "substance" . . . (our fleeting thoughts). This makes them too abstract . . . so most people do not understand the meaning of "God IS Love." But that means that the essential "substance" of God is what we mistakenly believe is an amorphous complex "feeling" . . . not the very basis of our entire reality.

This misunderstanding and confusion exists because our human love is not even a poor copy of God's love . . . it is corrupted by the selfishness and lustful carnality of our animal nature. Even the platonic and familial love of friends and family is selfishly centered on the treatment we receive and have received from them.

But God IS pure love . . . that means that the"state of mind" that forms the very essence of God is unconditional love of all life . . . because God IS life itself. This does not mean what the fundies seem to fear it means . . . that there are no consequences for our "non-love" actions and behaviors. Consequences exist for everything . . . and the primitive meaning of "wrath" taken in the abstract . . . simply means consequences.

Consequences exist for ALL violations (meaning failures to follow) of God's laws ("laws" of physics, chemistry, morality, etc.). But as I have repeatedly said . . . we don't consider the violations of His physical "laws" to be "punishments" . . . so why do we consider the violations of the other "laws" to be so. Short answer . . . our primitive ancestors did not have the cognitive understanding to override their animal natures and fears sufficiently even to consider such abstractions. The concept of autonomous self-control . . . (as distinct from obedience to a "King" of one kind or another) . . . was not a common mode of thought.

Bottom line: . . . Agape Love is the essential "key" of God's universal "Symphony" and we are supposed to do our best to "play our Soul Songs" in that "key" . . . or face the consequences of "re-tuning" until we do.
Awesome post Mystic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity