Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 03:58 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,208,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
reminds me of an ac/dc song.....highway to um well you know where-lol no offense guys and gals im j/k.
LOL! H-E-DOUBLE-HOCKEYSTICKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 04:00 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,208,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
We have to be prepared in all seasons to give an account of what we believe and why. That has to do with our faith directly, but also secular issues which we may oppose as well. The only way to know about them is to discuss. So..my vote is yes!

Hey Jazzed--we agree on something!

I'm outta here for the night, peeps. See ya manana!

Old 07-24-2007, 04:03 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,915,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Hey Jazzed--we agree on something!

I'm outta here for the night, peeps. See ya manana!

Old 07-24-2007, 04:06 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,620,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Oh John, if they only could...LOL.

You might of seen it, but the male pregnancy thread has been officially condemned.
I saw the thread, but it did not look interesting enough for me to open it. If only I had realized how controversial it could have gotten, I would have felt right at home jumping in with both feet in my mouth right from the beginning!

Old 07-24-2007, 05:23 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,217,480 times
If you don't discuss secular things, then you are effectively burying your head in the sand. Sooner or later, something will come up that you really need to know about. It will just sneak up and bite you on the rear.

We can't live our entire lives isolated and insulated from the real world. We get to do that when we toddle off to the Nursing Homes.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:44 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,647,817 times
You all know I'm not religious but of course Christians should discuss anything of importance in their everyday lives just like anyone else. I think the question is a little peculiar. There are everyday practical matters that have nothing to do with religion and often affect all of us in one way or the other. Sometimes they're very weird, like the pregnant man thing, and sometimes they're very important like politics. Everyone needs to be involved in all aspects of society, especially if they expect to influence others on particular issues.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:59 PM

508 posts, read 1,675,471 times
You know, I have a feeling this thread started because of my post in the pregnant man thread - if I am wrong, sorry. Jeff has decided to take pot shots at me, because I think the idea of men being pregnant is heathen and evil. So be it.

Absolutely Christians should discuss secular things. To not do so is to ignore the world around you. However, I think that Christians have a responsibility to not give power, by means of discussion and debate, to topics which are completely abhorrent to the Christian faith. For example, the idea of male pregancies goes against God's entire design for people. Society is sick and overrun with all types of vileness. I dont think Christians should give power or legitimacy to such things by engaging in conversation that can lead to thinking, on anyone's part, that these types of things might be acceptible.

Things like movies, music, different philosophies, Christian interpretations, atheist interpretations, etc. . . are discussible. but I believe strongly that discussion gives birth to legitimacy and legitimacy gives rise to power, and Christians have a duty to God to not give such power to certain topics that are total perversions of his plan.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:01 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,798,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
You all know I'm not religious but of course Christians should discuss anything of importance in their everyday lives just like anyone else. I think the question is a little peculiar. There are everyday practical matters that have nothing to do with religion and often affect all of us in one way or the other. Sometimes they're very weird, like the pregnant man thing, and sometimes they're very important like politics. Everyone needs to be involved in all aspects of society, especially if they expect to influence others on particular issues.
Tried to rep ya, but gotta spread the love -- and I agree with you on this.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:55 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,217,480 times
I thought more about this last night and I came up with a few more thoughts. I think there is even some value in discussing things like Paris Hilton and Anna Nicole. Yeah, even those weirdos and their followers.

It gives a person the chance to try to see what's behind a society that fosters that sort of behavior.

What interests the public that makes young women want to imitate that sort of Beauty?

What has happened in this world that men find that sort of dumb blonde personna desirable? Do they really want that sort of female to be the mother of their children?

And do mothers point out the stupidity of these women to their children, or do they ooh and aaah over the "beauty?"

Just a few thoughts while I wait for my coffee to kick in.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:59 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,889,756 times
I guess the old bracelets come back to my mind....What would Jesus do? To me when you look at who he talked with and met out on the road, they came from all walks of life and in all different situations. How do you spread the word of God when you can only relate to fellow Christians? I most definitly think we should be involved in what society brings us and relate to it in a Christian manner. When you look at Paris or Nicole, I get very sad. I think they need (needed) someone to care and know they are loved. Here is where I would flash a peace sign
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity