Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 03:38 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,747,499 times

Advertisements

This a spin off from another thread, I didnt want to hi-jack that thread.
Should Christians be able to discuss things amoungts ourselves, for example, a pregnant man? These things affect societys general acceptance of things and shouldnt we be informed about them in case our children ask questions? Just curious. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 03:41 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
This a spin off from another thread, I didnt want to hi-jack that thread.
Should Christians be able to discuss things amoungts ourselves, for example, a pregnant man? These things affect societys general acceptace of things and shouldnt we be informed about them in case our children ask questions? Just curious. What do you think?
Absolutely, 100%, YES, we should. That isn't to say that we are to be like the world, but we should be aware of what's going on!

And as far as discussing with other Christians, even more important, I would think. As iron sharpens iron...???

It is too easy to become so Heavenly minded that one does no earthly good.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:47 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,861,925 times
Yes, I think so. I'm not a big follower of the latest goings on with xxx superstar marrying yyy supermodel, and I generally keep that cr*p away from my kids. But advancements in science or technology (like embryonic stem cell research, cloning, genomics, gender transfiguration or men having babies) should be talked about and their ramifications on humankind (not just religious ramifications). Maybe I'm just oddly too curious.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Yes, I think so. I'm not a big follower of the latest goings on with xxx superstar marrying yyy supermodel, and I generally keep that cr*p away from my kids. But advancements in science or technology (like embryonic stem cell research, cloning, genomics, gender transfiguration or men having babies) should be talked about and their ramifications on humankind (not just religious ramifications). Maybe I'm just oddly too curious.
I guess Im curious too, not about the superstars thing, but about what science, and of course as you noticed I like to take my potshots at it with a laugh or a pic or a song, but thats just me. oh and my answer was yes i think so too!

Old 07-24-2007, 03:52 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,608,780 times
All people should be allowed to discuss all topics. There may be times when a question can be directed at a specific group to gather a specific response, ie...you should ask teens what their attitude toward teen sex is rather than asking their parents what the teens think about it. A general discussion should be open to anyone who has knowledge or even curiosity regardless of pre-bias.

It does not really matter why we discuss things. We don't have to have a motive such as educating ourselves in case our kids ask. Why can we not discuss for the sake of discussion or debate?

Did someone try to kick you out Jeff?

Old 07-24-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I guess Im curious too, not about the superstars thing, but about what science, and of course as you noticed I like to take my potshots at it with a laugh or a pic or a song, but thats just me. oh and my answer was yes i think so too!
Well, evidently we are all heathens and on the wide path of destruction for simply discussing current events.

To belittle is to be little. --Unknown

Old 07-24-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
All people should be allowed to discuss all topics. There may be times when a question can be directed at a specific group to gather a specific response, ie...you should ask teens what their attitude toward teen sex is rather than asking their parents what the teens think about it. A general discussion should be open to anyone who has knowledge or even curiosity regardless of pre-bias.

It does not really matter why we discuss things. We don't have to have a motive such as educating ourselves in case our kids ask. Why can we not discuss for the sake of discussion or debate?

Did someone try to kick you out Jeff?
Oh John, if they only could...LOL.

You might of seen it, but the male pregnancy thread has been officially condemned.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Well, evidently we are all heathens and on the wide path of destruction for simply discussing current events.

To belittle is to be little. --Unknown
reminds me of an ac/dc song.....highway to um well you know where-lol no offense guys and gals im j/k.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:57 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,912,250 times
We have to be prepared in all seasons to give an account of what we believe and why. That has to do with our faith directly, but also secular issues which we may oppose as well. The only way to know about them is to discuss. So..my vote is yes!

Old 07-24-2007, 03:58 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,280,448 times
Default Should Christians discuss secular things that effect society?

I hope so.

I sincerely hope so. Dialogue is perhaps the most powerful tool, or gift we have. It is not the exchange and discussion of ideas that frightens me, but rather, the lack thereof...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity