Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 01:36 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,408,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I really liked this.

If there is a thing I wish Christians could see, it is that it is CHRIST who "defeats" our sin, not us! We just look to Him and thank Him--- He does all the rest!

Blessings calgirlinnc!
brian
I didn't want this to get lost in twin's thread, so I'm asking here. Please, Brian, and anyone else who agrees with this statement (which I believe was made in regards to sanctification, not justification, and that is also what I would like this thread to focus on): What does this mean to you? Please, expand on it. HOW does Christ defeat your sin? What mechanisms does he use? Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 01:42 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,666,662 times
Some err in believing that they need to wait for SOMEONE else to come along and do for them what HE has provided for them a way to do THEMSELVES!!!

No sense of personal responsibility whatsoever.

...OH!...I just got out of bed with my neighbors husband....well, that's o.k!..." just look up and thank Him!...He does all the rest!!"

A lie sraight from the pit of HELL!

Old 03-16-2011, 01:45 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,950,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
HOW does Christ defeat your sin? What mechanisms does he use? Etc.
If you're walking in the Light, then it's the blood of the Lamb that cleanses sin. But, in order to walk in the Light, you must be in the truth.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
If you're walking in the Light, then it's the blood of the Lamb that cleanses sin. But, in order to walk in the Light, you must be in the truth.
I was looking for an answer that was perhaps a little more ... prose ... and less poetry, if you know what I mean?

Old 03-16-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Some err in believing that they need to wait for SOMEONE else to come along and do for them what HE has provided for them a way to do THEMSELVES!!!

No sense of personal responsibility whatsoever.

...OH!...I just got out of bed with my neighbors husband....well, that's o.k!..." just look up and thank Him!...He does all the rest!!"

A lie sraight from the pit of HELL!
Verna, you haven't even given anyone a chance to say what that statement means to them... how do you know that this is even close to what Brian meant, or what anyone else here believes?

Old 03-16-2011, 02:12 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,374,559 times
Quote:
I didn't want this to get lost in twin's thread, so I'm asking here. Please, Brian, and anyone else who agrees with this statement (which I believe was made in regards to sanctification, not justification, and that is also what I would like this thread to focus on): What does this mean to you? Please, expand on it. HOW does Christ defeat your sin? What mechanisms does he use? Etc.
The way to overcome sin, imo, is to realize that Christ is dwelling in you. Give Him space in your heart, and He will keep your sinful desires at bay. They won't touch you. (And if you lose sight of Him, and do err, then turning back to see Him again in your heart is sufficient. As time goes by, you learn to see that nothing can touch you, because He is in you.)

As for the "mechanism" that He uses, I think my "off the cuff" response would be, "I don't know how to explain it."

It may sound trite, but it's how I've seen Him work. We ask for deliverance, and wait. Somehow, He does it! Like a slipknot. It "looks" impossible to undo... and then suddenly one day you realize that it's already undone!

It's like this: only 1 can sit on the throne of your heart: flesh, or Him. If you let Him sit there, all is fine, you will start to overcome.

This is the "mystery" Paul spoke of: God dwelling IN mankind. That is our hope. Christ reigning in our hearts. That is the only way I know to start seeing Life.

Blessings,
brian

Old 03-16-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Even though we may not see eye-to-eye on doctrinal issues, it really doesn't matter, I think.
I think the important thing is that we see and feel Christ dwelling in our hearts.

Eventually, our doctrines will "clear up."

Blessings scgraham!
brian

Old 03-16-2011, 02:38 PM

Thanks Brian. I had a pretty good idea that is what you would say, but wanted to give you a chance to express that here. It is, interestingly, something I would've been in complete agreement with as a Christian. I felt the mechanism, so to speak, by which God worked was pretty succinctly expressed in Romans 12:2 ... being transformed by the renewing of one's mind. I thought that meant believing Christ dwelt in us.

I suppose really the only difference I see, now, is that I no longer think we are transformed by needing to believe in a a person within us, but by a force ... love. And that force is not confined to those who profess a belief in a supernatural being that required a sacrifice for their sin ... it is present and available for each of us. It's just that many have been so injured by things in this life, that their sense of that force within them has been hidden from them. They simply need their mind renewed.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks Brian. I had a pretty good idea that is what you would say, but wanted to give you a chance to express that here. It is, interestingly, something I would've been in complete agreement with as a Christian. I felt the mechanism, so to speak, by which God worked was pretty succinctly expressed in Romans 12:2 ... being transformed by the renewing of one's mind. I thought that meant believing Christ dwelt in us.

I suppose really the only difference I see, now, is that I no longer think we are transformed by needing to believe in a a person within us, but by a force ... love. And that force is not confined to those who profess a belief in a supernatural being that required a sacrifice for their sin ... it is present and available for each of us. It's just that many have been so injured by things in this life, that their sense of that force within them has been hidden from them. They simply need their mind renewed.
Hi Pleroo,
thanks for responding. Your words here are really nice!

I agree with you 110% that God is Love, and that that force is more powerful than anything else known to man.
And I agree that what people need is to have their minds renewed. We all do. To me, that is what is meant by "repentance." A change of direction, or of heart.

I think what has been most powerful in my own experience, is that knowing that Love is within us, it's no longer something vague, or "out there." It comes alive within us, and that is where the Power is. If it rules in our hearts, it gives us personal power, not simply a "universal" power.

So I agree with you completely, it is that power that is needed. To me, Christ is that power. In fact, Christ means "anointing."

Remember He-man? "I have the power!!"

Well, something like that anyway..!

Blessings!
brian

Old 03-17-2011, 08:35 AM

LOL, can't say I ever saw He-man.

I understand that the idea of Jesus within a believer can be a really powerful one... as you say, making the force of love very personal. I do remember very clearly when I really felt that for the first time. It was a truly life-changing moment. To me, now, it is just a story that conveys a universal truth but, since I experienced it for myself, I can still appreciate that for those who believe it to be literally true, it has the potential to transform. I just think that oftentimes the baggage (various doctrines) that comes with Christianity can really hinder that and, personally, I've found that the story isn't necessary anymore. But that doesn't mean I don't have a soft spot in my heart for it.

Anyway, thanks for your response, Brian. Always enjoy your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity