Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:44 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times

Advertisements

I ask this because of the deluge of mega churches popping up every where and some of their worship services being televised like it's a big pep rally taking place. Also, I am reading many threads and posts from Christians who think that worship is how loud the music is, how many times people shout, run out in the aisles, holy dance up and down the aisles, or even how long they can stand up holding up holy hands as long as everyone else is doing the same thing. Is that really worship or people being pumped up to be caught up in the moment?

I just sorta see that type of worship as mechanical, orchestrated, and just a big show or pep rally for people (where God isn't being Glorified and Praised at all). I sorta see it as Christians trying to be validated in themselves, drawing attention to themselves, and only doing it on Sundays just because the church building is an outlet for them to do it at (if I am making sense).

Nevertheless, I do believe in spontaneous worship that is not orchestrated, and where it happens any where beside just at a church building on Sunday. Now that doesn't mean that I am saying a Christian can't shout, raise up holy hands, holy dance up and run up and down the aisle if they are truly praising God for delivering them from sin or what ever it is.

I am just interested in knowing what do you think about how worship service in many of our churches have become mechanical and not spontaneous at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 01:44 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,231 times
appears to be more of a business than a church.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:41 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
haha! Its funny that you say this. Our Pastor was speaking at another church last night and the Pastor that usually leads worship did our church service last night. She spoke on this very thing. Those who lead worship are suppose to be making God first and foremost. Its not about the hair, clothing or what your suppose to be doing (dancing, jumping etc). Your not suppose to draw attention to yourself. Worship is not for us, its for God. Its about upholding our lives for Gods glory. You say & show God is worthy and holy with your life. Also its not about the music, its about the glory you give to Him. Worship by definition is homage rendered to God. Anything else is idolitry. Something interesting she pointed out is look at your secular musicians. They draw you in by the music to bring themselves glory. In doing so they also impress you with their philosophies. (If that makes sense).
Worship can even be us thanking God for the beautiful day, thanking God for our children.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
appears to be more of a business than a church.
Ahhhh good point. When you have to make an appointment to see your pastor, something is wrong.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
haha! Its funny that you say this. Our Pastor was speaking at another church last night and the Pastor that usually leads worship did our church service last night. She spoke on this very thing. Those who lead worship are suppose to be making God first and foremost. Its not about the hair, clothing or what your suppose to be doing (dancing, jumping etc). Your not suppose to draw attention to yourself. Worship is not for us, its for God. Its about upholding our lives for Gods glory. You say & show God is worthy and holy with your life. Also its not about the music, its about the glory you give to Him. Worship by definition is homage rendered to God. Anything else is idolitry. Something interesting she pointed out is look at your secular musicians. They draw you in by the music to bring themselves glory. In doing so they also impress you with their philosophies. (If that makes sense).
Worship can even be us thanking God for the beautiful day, thanking God for our children.
I agree with you 100% especially when you said that we are not supposed to draw attention to ourselves. I think that is why some people think that if church members aren't whooping and hollering that some how they are not spirit filled or (as some would say) they don't have the Holy Ghost. Being spirit filled has nothing to do with how well I can scream and shout, holy dance up and down the aisles, especially when the musicians are orchestrating it for me---my worship should be spontaneous, and can happen at home or in my car if I choose to worship God there. I was blessed from your post.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:50 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
I say if it works for some people, so be it. Personally, a jumbo-tron and a PPT presentation in a warehouse or arena is not my idea of church.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:01 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Ahhhh good point. When you have to make an appointment to see your pastor, something is wrong.
Not neccessarily. Pastors have other things they do too. Hospital visits, funerals, other speaking commitments and our Pastor also speaks at different Bible colleges in the area. So I dont see an issue with setting up an appointment with a Pastor.

Quote:
I agree with you 100% especially when you said that we are not supposed to draw attention to ourselves. I think that is why some people think that if church members aren't whooping and hollering that some how they are not spirit filled or (as some would say) they don't have the Holy Ghost. Being spirit filled has nothing to do with how well I can scream and shout, holy dance up and down the aisles, especially when the musicians are orchestrating it for me---my worship should be spontaneous, and can happen at home or in my car if I choose to worship God there. I was blessed from your post.
For me worship is a very personal thing. I find myself worshiping quite a bit in my home and in my car. Something else she said and its really made me think was "What would God hear from your house?" Oy! The things on my mind today lol!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:18 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
I do not agree with this at all. If it puts bread on their table, how is that to their glory.

Who can blame a talented secular music from earning a living from something he loves ?. I certainly do not begrudge him that.

For the people of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own kind than are the people of the light. Luke 16:8

Old 04-07-2011, 10:31 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
I am just interested in knowing what do you think about how worship service in many of our churches have become mechanical and not spontaneous at all.
I think everyone can pick the place, time and the style of their choosing. I have not withnessed this 'mechanical' worship anywhere, but I get a felling you resent it, among with other things associated to Chtistians. Am I wrong?

Old 04-07-2011, 01:40 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,131 times
Quote:
I ask this because of the deluge of mega churches popping up every where and some of their worship services being televised like it's a big pep rally taking place. Also, I am reading many threads and posts from Christians who think that worship is how loud the music is, how many times people shout, run out in the aisles, holy dance up and down the aisles, or even how long they can stand up holding up holy hands as long as everyone else is doing the same thing. Is that really worship or people being pumped up to be caught up in the moment?

I just sorta see that type of worship as mechanical, orchestrated, and just a big show or pep rally for people (where God isn't being Glorified and Praised at all). I sorta see it as Christians trying to be validated in themselves, drawing attention to themselves, and only doing it on Sundays just because the church building is an outlet for them to do it at (if I am making sense).

Nevertheless, I do believe in spontaneous worship that is not orchestrated, and where it happens any where beside just at a church building on Sunday. Now that doesn't mean that I am saying a Christian can't shout, raise up holy hands, holy dance up and run up and down the aisle if they are truly praising God for delivering them from sin or what ever it is.

You know, I asked acoworker once why he went to church and he said because it was a place to be with like-minded people. He not once said to worship. Seems to me it's becoming a "more money" kind of thing. Jesus didn't have a church so that tells me that a church isn't necessary. I wish more people would bring goodnes and joy and love to everyone instead of keeping things hidden behind closed doors. Worship is a very personal thing and should be done at home. Church service is totally different, in my opinion, and should be kept seperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity