Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 03:04 PM

46 posts, read 140,369 times

Advertisements

I DON'T think a pastor needs a lot of education to be a great pastor. I do think they need to know more than two Bible passages by heart. On the other hand, when a pastor says, "he don't" or something of that nature I wonder if he is representing Christ in a good way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 03:11 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Well, he don't sound as much like a PhD as he does a fisherman, fo' sho'

Old 07-20-2013, 03:20 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
The problem with too much education and religion (Christianity) is as follows:

Highly educated people tend to have some agnosticism and this may be a problem for some. Some people need to believe 100% and need to believe every word in the bible as it is written.

For others too much education is not an issue because they rationalize the agnosticism that results from being educated.

Or they become Christian agnostics.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:54 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The problem with too much education and religion (Christianity) is as follows:

Highly educated people tend to have some agnosticism and this may be a problem for some. Some people need to believe 100% and need to believe every word in the bible as it is written.

For others too much education is not an issue because they rationalize the agnosticism that results from being educated.

Or they become Christian agnostics.

Wait a minute. Let me do that again.

How about this: Having a great deal of education means that one can offer far better apologetics for Christianity. I mean, the problem that the unchurched have with Christianity today is that it is represented most aggressively by knuckle-dragging hayseeds to whom even speaking a grammatically correct sentence seems a challenge. So, they come up with this inevitable syllogism: This halfwit is a Christian, therefore all Christians are halfwits.

I'm not a Catholic, but have you ever had a discussion with a Jesuit? Extraordinary education and extraordinarily devout. Catholics and Anglicans such as John Polkinghorne, a physicist who was the former president of Cambridge, have done extraordinary and erudite work that demonstrate how Christianity and science pretty much co-existent. C.S. Lewis, T. S. Eliot, and a host of modern writers had unassailable intellectual credentials while being ardent and faithful Christians. I could go on for days naming writers, artists, musicians, and philosophers who supported both the faith and our civilization's intellectual life. For Christianity has a very rich intellectual history, one that has continually nurtured it through two millennia. Now, posts like this rationalize dumbing it down.

I just can't imagine anyone who actually want Christians to not be as completely and fully educated as humanly possible. That would be not only wasting the intelligence that God provides us, but it is also fuels the critique that religious faith is for a bunch of drooling know-nothings. What a stupid, stupid betrayal of our priceless Christian heritage that would be.

Last edited by cpg35223; 07-23-2013 at 05:02 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Wait a minute. Let me do that again.

I just can't imagine anyone who actually want Christians to not be as completely and fully educated as humanly possible. That would be not only wasting the intelligence that God provides us, but it is also fuels the critique that religious faith is for a bunch of drooling know-nothings. What a stupid, stupid betrayal of our priceless Christian heritage that would be.
Some in this thread have expressed that a formal education is not a must. In fact, in some churches they have charismatic children preaching adults.

I actually agree with you 100%. CS Lewis started as an atheist and in one of his books Mere Christianity tries to prove the existence of God by using logic rather than quoting the Bible which is illogical.

Saint Thomas Aquina also worked on the existence of God without quoting the Bible. In fact the proofs of Aquinas are basically The Big Bang.

Some atheists are actually pseudo-intellectuals that feel superior for picking on easy targets as the "ill-informed fundamentalists". They basically attack religion rather than God. An atheists basically has a belief system.

Both Einstein and Hawkins have used terms such as God would not do it that way. We don't really know where the creation comes from. The moment before the Big Bang remains a mystery. The creation of ENERGY from nothing remains to be explained.

Lastly, it is possible to be a Christian (in my case Catholic) and have skepticism.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:11 AM

796 posts, read 858,761 times
Education does not replace knowledge and experience. Many people have a better knowledge of a topic than someone who has only an education of the topic. To be a pastor one must be able to communicate with those in his flock. All the education in the world is worthless if you cannot communicate it to those you Shepard. There is a balance that needs to be there in order to be a pastor.

In my life I have moved around a bit due to the nature of my work. I have been in churches will all types of pastors. From the high school drop out to those with a Phd. The two worst were the one with the Phd and a guy with a GED. They both talked circles around their people. One because he thought he knew so much and wanted to amaze people with words they did not understand and philosophies they never heard of and the other because he just rambled on and never really had a point to his message (and always went long in his sermons). The two best were similar in education. One had a doctorate degree and the other only completed High School or had a GED (don't remember which). They both had a great knowledge of scripture and had studied the Greek and Hebrew (or at least knew how to find what the words meant they were using in their sermons) and could clearly communicate their message to their flock in a meaningful way.

The few times I have served on a committee to bring a new pastor to a church, I have always tried to listen to them preach several times. I would try to sneak in when they were not expecting me if they were pastoring a church at the time so I could hear them. When I could I would talk to past members of churches they had preached at. I have rejected many with much education and with no education. I have also recommended for further consideration many with much education and with no education. But they all had knowledge and the ability to communicate with the people they may be sheparding.

I suppose the point is, there is no single set of educational requirements that should be considered for a pastor. It is much more important to use their knowledge and communication skills for the position. I would also want to know how they manage their own house. How long has the man been married and what are his children like. Very important issues. I believe Paul knew something about what was needed for such positions in the church.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
Education does not replace knowledge and experience. Many people have a better knowledge of a topic than someone who has only an education of the topic. To be a pastor one must be able to communicate with those in his flock. All the education in the world is worthless if you cannot communicate it to those you Shepard. There is a balance that needs to be there in order to be a pastor.

In my life I have moved around a bit due to the nature of my work. I have been in churches will all types of pastors. From the high school drop out to those with a Phd. The two worst were the one with the Phd and a guy with a GED. They both talked circles around their people. One because he thought he knew so much and wanted to amaze people with words they did not understand and philosophies they never heard of and the other because he just rambled on and never really had a point to his message (and always went long in his sermons). The two best were similar in education. One had a doctorate degree and the other only completed High School or had a GED (don't remember which). They both had a great knowledge of scripture and had studied the Greek and Hebrew (or at least knew how to find what the words meant they were using in their sermons) and could clearly communicate their message to their flock in a meaningful way.

The few times I have served on a committee to bring a new pastor to a church, I have always tried to listen to them preach several times. I would try to sneak in when they were not expecting me if they were pastoring a church at the time so I could hear them. When I could I would talk to past members of churches they had preached at. I have rejected many with much education and with no education. I have also recommended for further consideration many with much education and with no education. But they all had knowledge and the ability to communicate with the people they may be sheparding.

I suppose the point is, there is no single set of educational requirements that should be considered for a pastor. It is much more important to use their knowledge and communication skills for the position. I would also want to know how they manage their own house. How long has the man been married and what are his children like. Very important issues. I believe Paul knew something about what was needed for such positions in the church.

I rather have both education and communication skills. I would never feel comfortable with a preacher that could not finish high school and had to take the GED. I am sure there are exceptions to the rule.

But, in the end it depends on the socio-economic-educational status of the parishioners.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:17 AM

796 posts, read 858,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I rather have both education and communication skills. I would never feel comfortable with a preacher that could not finish high school and had to take the GED. I am sure there are exceptions to the rule.

But, in the end it depends on the socio-economic-educational status of the parishioners.
I think education is wonderful but if you don't get knowledge it is worthless I would think. Education is never a good measure of a man's knowledge. It only supposes that he may have been exposed to knowledge.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
I think education is wonderful but if you don't get knowledge it is worthless I would think. Education is never a good measure of a man's knowledge. It only supposes that he may have been exposed to knowledge.
Sure, we must continue to learn on a daily basis till we die. However, high level education is still a measure of a more rigorous training.

Quote:
Christopher Michael Langan (born c. 1952) is an American autodidact whose IQ was reported by 20/20 and other media sources to have been measured at between 195 and 210.[1] Billed by some media sources as "the smartest man in America",[2] he rose to prominence in 1999 while working as a bouncer on Long Island.
This guy is reported to have a higher OW than Einstein and other famous physicists , but because of his lack of formal training never had success in life (works as a bouncer). I still think one needs the whole package.

I will take a Jesuit priest over a High School drop out any day.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:48 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b[U
[i]alunman;30638455]

In my life I have moved around a bit due to the nature of my work. I have been in churches will all types of pastors. From the high school drop out to those with a Phd. The two worst were the one with the Phd and a guy with a GED. They both talked circles around their people. One because he thought he knew so much and wanted to amaze people with words they did not understand and philosophies they never heard of
The highly educated parishioner probably appreciated the fact that the pastor with the Phd was able to use four-syllable words correctly and make philosophical points in his sermon. Yes, it's true. People with advanced degrees go to church.

Maybe you'll just have to trust me on that. Ever think he did "know so much"? If you're threatened by a pastor's knowledge (or don't like the fact he's highly educated) you can do two things: increase your own or change churches to find a pastor who lets you feel more secure.

Put me down for the Jesuit. Every.day. Love Jesuits. They know how to think, aren't afraid to rattle a few chains and tend not to waste time on malarkey.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-24-2013 at 12:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity