Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 10:55 PM

143 posts, read 365,865 times

Advertisements

I don't really care about hell. Our loving savior Jesus died for us so that we wouldn't have to care about it. I love God, I love my neighbor, and I trust that He has a good plan for me.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:01 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Revelation 21 also says, "The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp."

Awww....

Old 06-05-2011, 11:13 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
I couldn't help but notice you didn't answer the question.

So, what is it exactly that I will be accountable for? Not believing that God will set people on fire and leave them that way for eternity? I'm happy to be accountable for that "accusation."
Yes, the thing that religious fundamentalists insist on for the most part is that everyone must believe that God is furious beyond measure and unwilling or unable to show mercy. This is a Satanic, blasphemous and plain up-side-down theology. It's like they make a covenant with death itself. Sick,,,sick,,, sick,,,,...

Old 06-05-2011, 11:26 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilinglamp View Post
I don't really care about hell. Our loving savior Jesus died for us so that we wouldn't have to care about it. I love God, I love my neighbor, and I trust that He has a good plan for me.
So you don't think about the fiery torture future your neighbor may have to endure if you don't change him into a Christian that believes as you do? Why wouldn't Christians think on that, picture it, and wonder why that picture doesn't resemble the god Jesus proclaimed he was the image of?

I have so much faith in what Jesus' god can do that I know all men will know him and be redeemed..."be saved"

Ye of little faith who proclaim their god incapable of saving all humans although he wills that all be saved. May you have the experience of what you believe your god is truly doing to most humanity (non-Christians) so that you, by contrast, will see Jesus' God as he truly is.

I feel that anyone who really thinks Jesus gave witness to the god of hell has never really bothered to know the God who is love.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:57 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I feel that anyone who really thinks Jesus gave witness to the god of hell has never really bothered to know the God who is love.

Yes, I agree.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:02 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Let's see if I understand your point:

- You accuse God of setting people on fire forever without any relief.

- I accuse God of NOT setting people on fire forever without any relief.

God is going to be mad at me for my "accusation."

- I point out that no human being is capable of such horror - a simple truth that can't be denied.

- You have no answer as to why God made humans incapable of such horror and pretend it's not worth responding to.

- You think it's sarcastic and satanic to believe God WILL NOT burn people's flesh while they beg for mercy forever and ever and ever because, for whatever reason, they weren't taught the right doctrine while on earth.

- I believe it's satanic (the doctrine is from Satan-not those who believe it) to believe God WILL burn people's flesh while they beg for mercy forever and ever and ever because, for whatever reason, they weren't taught the right doctrine while on earth.

Does that about sum it up? Like I said, I'm very happy to be accountable for my faith in God.
You couldn't get it right even if you had no left hand to type with .... (humor)

Here is the correct Biblical teaching:
  • God is going to damn people for their unbelief \ rejection of Jesus.
    • not because of disbelief in hell
  • The begging for mercy occurs prior to sent to their damnation...not after sentencing, not after being sent (final judgement) Matthew 25.
Nice try to advert. I don't go around accusing God of whatever...not like the usual accusers here do. Yes, you and your crowd will be accountable for the arrogant attitude. Job was put in his place, don't expect anything less.

Is that the image you conjure up ? ...( "burning of the flesh" ) What's next, that satan is a little red guy with a pitch fork, two horns and a red pointed tail? If that's really what you think, you've been watching too many horror flicks.

Guess you haven't considered that hell's punishment was originally meant for non-physical beings. The devils are terrified about the upcoming judgement..........I have no idea what horrific ramifications that will encure for a physical human being. For that matter we are not told by God exactly what it will be, thus the reason for descriptions of what we can relate to. The same BTW for heaven...there is no exact description, only imagery.

.... act all surprised if you want...you're not fooling God if I can see thru your accusations. Do you need them pointed out or should we start a list and hand it over to God for review?
Quote:
it's physically impossible for us to set someone on fire forever and for them to continue to burn and not die. Why do you think this is the case?

Quote:
Did God want to save all that "fun" for himself, or what?

Old 06-06-2011, 01:03 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You mean this line:

It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”
I practice none of these so I guess I am OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
One third will be refined, two thirds will be destroyed. "In the whole land," declares the LORD, "two-thirds will be struck down and perish; yet one-third will be left in it"

The second death is an exclusion from heaven, and from the presence of the Lord.
Suits me as I do not want eternal life esp when I read some of the posts of both sides here. I will be happier with my kin - Oh wait I will simply be dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
  • God is going to damn people for their unbelief \ rejection of Jesus.
    • not because of disbelief in hell
  • The begging for mercy occurs prior to sent to their damnation...not after sentencing, not after being sent (final judgement) Matthew 25.
There will be no begging on my part as if there was to be any dialogue, god would get the finger from me.

The whole concept of this imaginary place called heaven and hell is seeded in the need to believe that there a hereafter and that somehow the believers think they are special in some way.

This was one of the reasons I lost my faith as this omnieverything god was, even from a CU POV, powerless to make any change in the here and now. I have been in both camps and really the CU version merely has a temporal punishment or refining whereas the ET side is permanent. Neither scenario makes any sense in light of the alleged teachings of jesus and were everyone to be afforded a choice to stay or not exist at all, I would choose the latter as I would be untrue to my beliefs to want to stay forever with an obvious unbenevolent god.

Some of us do not want to live forever.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:26 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Many who do not accept Christ are unbelievers and many do not believe there is a hell. Your explanation is that those who do not believe in hell won't go there
No, that is not my explanation.

Quote:
or will have some sense of eternal state of what they are in their mind.
Yes, that's more like it.

Quote:
Jesus said the unbelievers who reject his dieing on the cross as payment for their sins will be cast into the lake of fire .

So if they are indifferent and don't believe their is a hell and believe they will get to heaven by their good works;they will be judged and if their name is not written in the book of life they will not go to heaven.
So where is the contradiction into what I am saying? Or what is it exactly you are trying to address? My thoughts were not against Jesus' teachings... they are entirely derivative from his teachings. Hell is not a physical place and the lake of fire is merely a metaphor to another state that our minds will be in.

What Christ did on the cross is kill the old man, Adam, so that a new man could be reborn. That man was Christ.... you've heard it before.

Paul says it repeatedly, "let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus."

"be ye transformed by the renewing of your minds."

"and you who were once alienated in your minds by wicked works."

"I no longer live, but Christ lives in me."

If the soul (mind) does not put away the old man, Adam, which was crucified on the cross... then he will forever remain in the mental "state" of which the soul itself put himself into... hell, which is the second death. In other words, baddaboom, that's it.... the soul no longer has a choice. The soul ceases to be soul and just a thought of agony, or pain, that it has created for itself. That's the place of eternal torment.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:30 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
I practice none of these so I guess I am OK?

Suits me as I do not want eternal life esp when I read some of the posts of both sides here. I will be happier with my kin - Oh wait I will simply be dead.
There will be no begging on my part as if there was to be any dialogue, god would get the finger from me.

The whole concept of this imaginary place called heaven and hell is seeded in the need to believe that there a hereafter and that somehow the believers think they are special in some way.

This was one of the reasons I lost my faith as this omnieverything god was, even from a CU POV, powerless to make any change in the here and now. I have been in both camps and really the CU version merely has a temporal punishment or refining whereas the ET side is permanent. Neither scenario makes any sense in light of the alleged teachings of jesus and were everyone to be afforded a choice to stay or not exist at all, I would choose the latter as I would be untrue to my beliefs to want to stay forever with an obvious unbenevolent god.

Some of us do not want to live forever.
then by golly... listen to my arguments!

Old 06-06-2011, 05:38 AM

811 posts, read 810,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Yes, the thing that religious fundamentalists insist on for the most part is that everyone must believe that God is furious beyond measure and unwilling or unable to show mercy. This is a Satanic, blasphemous and plain up-side-down theology. It's like they make a covenant with death itself. Sick,,,sick,,, sick,,,,...
Careful Heartsong you don't want to risk going against the fundamentalist teaching of "literal" lake of fire teaching that God the consuming fire ( Hebrews 12:28-29 ) made

the fire in the LOF is the same consuming fire mentioned in Hebrews 12:28,29, It's GOD! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! clearly fire is symbolic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity