Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What the Gehenna? Aw, Gehenna. Go to Gehenna, Lego.

(You knew SOMEbody was gonna say that, right?)

LOL you joke. But one of these years I'm going to plan a trip to Gehenna. Take the whole family - maybe when the kids are older. I'm a bit nervous about traveling in Israel though. Anyone been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Cool picture sciotamicks. Is that an "artist's rendering" of what the dump looked like?

Old 06-14-2011, 11:20 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,436,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Cool picture sciotamicks. Is that an "artist's rendering" of what the dump looked like?
It's the siege of Jerusalem...1st century.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
It's the siege of Jerusalem...1st century.
Ah... that's what I was thinking after I posted. 70 A.D? Destruction of the temple?

Old 06-14-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The "hotel rooms" Mary K Baxter and Bill Wiese described were about 6x6 without any amenities except for a nice view of the molten landscape. I'm sure Satan runs "book one trillion years, get three trillion years free" specials and his rates are more than reasonable, but Bill and Mary claim the rooms are filling up fast so you'd better make your reservation quick if you live in the North Dakota region and winter is approaching.
Thrillobyte, you just gave me a great idea. When I finally do get around to visiting Jerusalem/Gehenna area, I can write a book on it!

I will call it:
23 minutes in Gehenna!

Or maybe:
7 days and nights in Hell with my family

LOL just joking. Maybe.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:35 AM

Hi Theophane,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
So if hell is actually a nice place, tell me again why it was important for Jesus to die the way he did?
Well I don't think 'hell' (AKA Gehenna, the valley in the picture above) was that nice a place in biblical times. In the OT they sacrificed children in fire there. Pretty nasty stuff. Sciotamicks' picture may be a bit more accurate for Jesus' time.

Quote:
Wrong! He was referring to eternal fire. The lake of fire. Eternal.
No, He was referring to Gehenna: the valley of Hinnom where garbage and criminals were burned up. Check your footnotes. Do some research on it.

Quote:
Universalism is a heresy and so is this.
'so is this'? I haven't posted any heresy. I've posted simple fact. You can go and verify it for yourself, or not.

Matt 5:29 If your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.

The NASB version has a footnote on that word 'hell' which says: Gehenna.
If you look at the Greek transcripts it is obvious.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:47 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,436,320 times
Quote:
Ah... that's what I was thinking after I posted. 70 A.D? Destruction of the temple?
this looks like one siege, possibly in the beginning of the year long siege...but not being overrun yet... but here's another of the temple being overrun:

http://www.realists.com/images/thediscovery_photo.png (broken link)

It was hell for the Jews.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:43 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Aw Gehenna, Pleroo... that made me laugh out loud.
Me too. This thread is so funny and entertaining. My mother-in-law who is a devout Methodist and I suspect a closet Universalist used to say as we sad down to dinner: "Drink plenty of water now -- there won't be any in hell." And she'd laugh. And I, then being persuaded of the literal ET dogma always thought it was just such an awful thing to say. I don't think she'd have said it had she believed in the literal "roasting pit" that so many believe in.

Fun thread, Legoman.

Heartsong

Old 06-14-2011, 12:50 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
So if hell is actually a nice place, tell me again why it was important for Jesus to die the way he did?

Heresy.
Hell is not a nice place. Hell is a spiritual state and a state of mind. Hell has many meanings. It means the grave or hidden place. God is said to be in hell also:

"If I make my bed in hell, thou art there with me -- where can I go from your Spirit".... (think that is in the Psalms).

As far as my beliefs go, we are born into hell when we enter this corrupt world. And Christ is emptying hell as all the "former" things, all the "temporal" things pass away. Only that which is GOOD will remain. Only that which is Holy, clean and pure will survive the HOLY FIRE.
Our God is a CONSUMING FIRE.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:20 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Thrillobyte, you just gave me a great idea. When I finally do get around to visiting Jerusalem/Gehenna area, I can write a book on it!

I will call it:
23 minutes in Gehenna!

Or maybe:
7 days and nights in Hell with my family

LOL just joking. Maybe.
How about "7 Days & Nights of Pure Hell IN Hell With My Mother-in-Law."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity