Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 10:10 AM

443 posts, read 1,542,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
No...but the Old Testament and New Testament represent respectifully Old test-Before Christ and New Testament -with Christ. IF you want to ask questions about Christianity uses the new testament which is what we go by because we (Christians) are no longer under the law, which is what the old testament represents--the law.
So... can you explian to me why eating shellfish is no longer a sin, but being gay is?

The old testament has admonishments against both practices.

I don't think it's really fair for you to dodge a question about the OT, when its still a part of your bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 10:14 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,752,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
So... can you explian to me why eating shellfish is no longer a sin, but being gay is?

The old testament has admonishments against both practices.

I don't think it's really fair for you to dodge a question about the OT, when its still a part of your bible.
which question did I dodge?...Christians are NO longer under the laws of the old testament, Jesus fulfilled the law, and yes the OT is a part of my Bible.

Eating shellfish is ot only...the ACT of being gay is in both the ot and the nt..(let me clarify..i dont think BEING gay is a sin..we all struggle with things..IMHO its acting upon those desires thats sinful.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:24 AM

443 posts, read 1,542,663 times
So then, god makes people gay, then punishes them for acting on the natural desires he gave them?

Old 08-15-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
So then, god makes people gay, then punishes them for acting on the natural desires he gave them?
I never said God made anyone gay, nor does the Bible. God doesnt make anyone commit adultery, or steal etc. either, we live in a fallen world, thanks to sin.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:00 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,205,395 times
Quote:
I never said God made anyone gay, nor does the Bible. God doesnt make anyone commit adultery, or steal etc. either, we live in a fallen world, thanks to sin.
Yes, but he's asking where do those gay desires come from? No str8 person is going to choose one day to be gay...

Old 08-15-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Yes, but he's asking where do those gay desires come from? No str8 person is going to choose one day to be gay...
where do thoughts to commit adultery come from, or to steal?

Old 08-15-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
where do thoughts to commit adultery come from, or to steal?
From that guy with a pitchfork and a red suit.

But my point is that any truly str8, red-blooded male is not going to start having thoughts about going gay. If they are, then they weren't technically str8 in the 1st place.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
From that guy with a pitchfork and a red suit.

But my point is that any truly str8, red-blooded male is not going to start having thoughts about going gay. If they are, then they weren't technically str8 in the 1st place.
I agree with both statements..
everybody struggles with something, maybe they wont admit it, but there is something that we all have hang ups with, I know I have mine, do I like it? no, does God, no, do I try and overcome it? yes..do i fail miseribly? all the time...

Old 08-15-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I agree with both statements..
everybody struggles with something, maybe they wont admit it, but there is something that we all have hang ups with, I know I have mine, do I like it? no, does God, no, do I try and overcome it? yes..do i fail miseribly? all the time...
YES, but the difference is that you, arguy, can probably lead a pretty normal and happy life while deciding not to...I dunno, whatever your hang ups are...do drugs, drink alcohol, be with hookers, whatever. In fact, we can probably all agree that odds are you will lead a much happier life NOT doing these things as opposed to if you did.

But the "sin" that gay people are expected to not participate in means they cannot have normal, human, romantic relationships like any str8 person can. They are to give up a major, vital part of the human experience. THAT is the difference that most Christians don't understand.

So then, from here the Christian argument is that gay people need to press into a relationship with God--that's great, awesome, everyone should do this--and/or repress their sexual desires and/or substitute these desires with str8 ones (with generally little to no success, anymore than you, arguy, would have trying to get hot by looking at a dude). While the 1st part is great, it has been my observation (of many personal friends of mine) that everyone who tries to repress this part of themselves only does so for a stretch of time. Eventually, sooner or later, they will either say "Screw it!" and just come out of the closet, or they will try to live a str8 life but have gay sex under the radar of friends, family--and wives/husbands. It's sad and in addition to the above most of these people end up severely depressed and/or suicidal.

I simply don't think that this is God's best for gay people. And I don't think that Christianity has it right in how they deal with this issue or the success rate would be quite different than what it is. Do I have the answer? Not by a long shot. I'm just saying that there is something wrong with the picture.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
YES, but the difference is that you, arguy, can probably lead a pretty normal and happy life while deciding not to...I dunno, whatever your hang ups are...do drugs, drink alcohol, be with hookers, whatever. In fact, we can probably all agree that odds are you will lead a much happier life NOT doing these things as opposed to if you did.

But the "sin" that gay people are expected to not participate in means they cannot have normal, human, romantic relationships like any str8 person can. They are to give up a major, vital part of the human experience. THAT is the difference that most Christians don't understand.

So then, from here the Christian argument is that gay people need to press into a relationship with God--that's great, awesome, everyone should do this--and/or repress their sexual desires and/or substitute these desires with str8 ones (with generally little to no success, anymore than you, arguy, would have trying to get hot by looking at a dude). While the 1st part is great, it has been my observation (of many personal friends of mine) that everyone who tries to repress this part of themselves only does so for a stretch of time. Eventually, sooner or later, they will either say "Screw it!" and just come out of the closet, or they will try to live a str8 life but have gay sex under the radar of friends, family--and wives/husbands. It's sad and in addition to the above most of these people end up severely depressed and/or suicidal.

I simply don't think that this is God's best for gay people. And I don't think that Christianity has it right in how they deal with this issue or the success rate would be quite different than what it is. Do I have the answer? Not by a long shot. I'm just saying that there is something wrong with the picture.
I dont have ANY answers...and I dont have an argument that they need to do this or need to do that, its between them and God, but my thinking is that God is not gonna "create" gay people just to punish them, Ive got alot more questions than I have answers...I cant (for me) say the Bible is wrong, neither can I say that God hates people that are gay, because he dont..its a puzzling dilmemma...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity