Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 03:37 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Honestly, I don't get it. I was reading this post by Stillkit in another thread and it got me thinking about why God doesn't show Himself physically to us now, like Jesus did when He arose from the dead.

I'm not talking about people who claim to hear the voice of God or I'm not saying that God is not within us.....I'm speaking of real, tangible evidence like was given to the people in Jesus' time. Sometimes I feel like we've been abandoned to fend for ourselves and if you don't have the right belief system then you're screwed (according to some people).

Wouldn't it be great if God would physically prove Himself to all of us? Jesus HAD to return from the grave to "prove" that He was the Messiah so why can't He do that now? What was so special about that time and those people that we can't have the same courtesy?

I know what all the arguments will be.....I don't have enough faith that God is here with us now and I'm questioning God and His plan. Yes I do have faith, gobs of it, and no I am not questioning God's plan. And then there will be the argument that even if Jesus did return and walk among us there would still be unbelievers. True, I suppose but remember what Jesus had to do with "doubting" Thomas? I just don't see why we have to have all of this secrecy and mystery.....sometimes I feel like God has left the building.

Am I the only one who ever wonders about this?
But God would literally have to appear to everybody on earth, wouldn't He? When Jesus appeared to the Apostles and Thomas was not with them, he (Thomas) refused to believe them. He had to see the risen Lord for himself. Jesus even said to him, "Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." Maybe God feels the same way today. If He showed Himself to someone besides you personally, you wouldn't believe, would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 04:02 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,542,443 times
IS 53:2 "For He shall grow up before Him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: He has no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him."

He has "no form" means: His mission on earth was a mystery until it was "finished" and then the Spirit was given to bring to reality the hidden things hidden in a mystery. 1COR 2:7 "But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory."

He has no comeliness means: He was not a handsome man so that we would not follow Him for Hollywood looks, but rather for the Beauty of Character [Glory] within and manifest to the world. There is therfore no need to see Him physically because we see Him, in the beauty of "Spirit and in Truth."

Old 07-25-2011, 04:05 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,233 times
Quote:
Why Won't God/Jesus Show Themselves To Us Today?
What makes you think He hasn't?

What are you looking to see?

Old 07-25-2011, 04:46 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
If He did show up in the way i think you are meaning,we would crucify him.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:58 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,641 times
It's obviously not part of God's plan otherwise He would be here. That's good enough for me.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:48 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yes, and for all the same reasons! When Jesus really does reappear in our world, it won't be as a suffering servant. The kid gloves will be off.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:31 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
And that is EXACTLY why I take what is written in the bible with a grain of salt and discard those things that go against the true nature of God. We have copies, of alleged copies, of alleged copies, of alleged copies, etc. of the gospels...in which the authors of those copies are UNKNOWN. These are the facts...so why are you always so fanatical and judgmental about what others believe??????????

I'm fanatical about my faith in Christ and my belief in the authenticity of the Bible. And, I don't mean to come off as being judgmental, but when I see someone stepping off a cliff, I can't help but yell, "Watch out!"

Old 07-25-2011, 06:33 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yup. Just as most crucify the character of God...
every single day.

And from the mouthes of those who claim to know God the most.
From the mouthes of those who are the preachers and teachers and ministers.

History repeats.
over and over.
Not much has changed from the time when Jesus walked this earth.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:44 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
LOL...If I believed in the "devil" as a separate entity that might be a problem...but I don't so it's all good. The evilness in this world comes from within humanity and nowhere else.
Oh dear heavens I didn't mean to imply that I don't believe in the devil, just that I don't think he has that much pull. I've had direct dealings with the devil and his minions and I know that he's real and he's got a following but come on, to say that one is following the devil if they don't adhere to the entire scriptures is ludicrous, to say the least.

Quote:
Again Ilene...don't take what you read in the bible so literally...look for the spiritual messages and guidance that underlie the stories...there are many more metaphoric stories contained in the NT than you realize.
I do take it literally, especially the NT. It's what I cling to, it's my breath or I should say that Jesus is my breath. In all honesty I'm still a fundamentalist at heart, I still believe in a rapture (maybe) and all the end times scenarios but I know now that it is just God's plan and that that plan also includes Universal Salvation. Sorry, getting off topic here but I so understand where you are right now Christygrl because I've been there. Maybe I didn't do my studies like you have but I've been there.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:45 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I'm fanatical about my faith in Christ and my belief in the authenticity of the Bible. And, I don't mean to come off as being judgmental, but when I see someone stepping off a cliff, I can't help but yell, "Watch out!"
Did you know the world has actually fallen over that cliff,you're just a tad late with your yelling .

For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;

he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the LORD
and put their trust in him. Psalm 40
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity