Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:27 AM

810 posts, read 1,438,574 times

Advertisements

The scriptural requirements for an overseer of a Christian congregation can be found at 1 Timothy 3:1-7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:43 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,137,783 times
Turn him (or her) over to Satan so that his (or her) spirit should be saved?

1 Cor 5
1 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that even pagans do not tolerate: A man is sleeping with his father’s wife.
And you are proud! Shouldn’t you rather have gone into mourning and have put out of your fellowship the man who has been doing this?
For my part, even though I am not physically present, I am with you in spirit. As one who is present with you in this way, I have already passed judgment in the name of our Lord Jesus on the one who has been doing this.
So when you are assembled and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present,
hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.

That has always been a tricky scripture for me...

Old 07-29-2011, 10:01 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,811,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
The scriptural requirements for an overseer of a Christian congregation can be found at 1 Timothy 3:1-7.
Wondered if anyone would bring this up. Does this passage apply here?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:01 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,219,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post

1 Cor 5
1 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that even pagans do not tolerate: A man is sleeping with his father’s wife.
2 And you are proud! Shouldn’t you rather have gone into mourning and have put out of your fellowship the man who has been doing this?
3 For my part, even though I am not physically present, I am with you in spirit. As one who is present with you in this way, I have already passed judgment in the name of our Lord Jesus on the one who has been doing this.
4 So when you are assembled and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present,
5 hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.

It just means you keep on loving them...right where they are!!! It's all about individuals LEARNING from their mistakes...they can't LEARN anything if they are continually condemned...they have to reap what they sow and this is how they LEARN to do things differently...although, for some, it takes a darn good bit of reaping before they learn anything. Just saying...

Old 07-29-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
This is why I don't go to church. It's always some drama or something going on. I guess I'm wondering how everyone knows about his wife's sin?
So you aren't involved with other believers in any way?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:12 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,410,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post

1 Cor 5
2 And you are proud! Shouldn’t you rather have gone into mourning and have put out of your fellowship the man who has been doing this?
3 For my part, even though I am not physically present, I am with you in spirit. As one who is present with you in this way, I have already passed judgment in the name of our Lord Jesus on the one who has been doing this.
4 So when you are assembled and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present,
5 hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.

Especially the "put out of your fellowship" part. How does that fit with Galatians which says: Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

How do you gently restore someone and bear their burdens if you've put them out of fellowship (removed them from your midst) and have nothing further to do with them?

On the other hand, I suppose it could be looked at that removing the person from their midst, in this case, was doing the guy a favor, since they were apparently a proud (self-righteous?) bunch ... hardly the types to be able to "gently restore" anyone.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Especially the "put out of your fellowship" part. How does that fit with Galatians which says: Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

How do you gently restore someone and bear their burdens if you've put them out of fellowship (removed them from your midst) and have nothing further to do with them?

On the other hand, I suppose it could be looked at that removing the person from their midst, in this case, was doing the guy a favor, since they were apparently a proud (self-righteous?) bunch ... hardly the types to be able to "gently restore" anyone.
The passage you quote here doesn't apply to the pastor. Maybe his wife. I want to know, what action should be taken (if any) with regards to the pastor?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:25 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,219,623 times
Quote:

Hmmm...seems you've run into one of those nasty little contradictions Christians like to ignore and pretend doesn't exist in their infallible and inerrant bible.

My take is this...which passage speaks love??? If it doesn't speak love...it is best to ignore it.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:25 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,410,437 times
Quote:

Okay, so you've got me looking at this passage more closely Lego. I was looking at that part about them being "proud" or "puffed up". That is indeed a recurring theme throughout 1 Corinthians:

Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon

Being proud is contrasted with LOVE. These people were apparently not a group that understood love, or that love is gentle with people caught in sin, as Gal. indicates, and could help someone to escape it ... He was better off in the hands of "satan" (as Christy said, just reaping what he sowed) than being dealt with by people who had no concept of how to lovingly help him.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:26 AM

810 posts, read 1,438,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Wondered if anyone would bring this up. Does this passage apply here?
I believe it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity