Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:37 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
^^^^

Agreed. True faith, alone, is not sufficient.

Faithlessness and willfull sin is of the devil, and God has nothing to do with it...and will not afford anyone who lives their lives in this manner the gift of eternal life. Agreed.

Blessings to you as well Brian,
Verna.
Apart from "willful sin," there is also sin that is done in ignorance. And there is sin that we don't realize that we are committing. These too, I believe, will hinder us from seeing the Kingdom.

For example, arguing. A Christian may have a habit of arguing with people and not realize that he/she is sinning.

Or coveting a new clothing item. Or condemning others in one's heart.

There are many.

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
That's why I have many problems with the Old Testament. I believe the OT scriptures testify of Jesus Christ, but that doesn't make everything you read in them righteous. What about God being the same yesterday, today, and forever???? So people pick and choose how they want to interpret the bible (as you said). We must have a relationship via the Spirit of God - a personal walk. My personal walk is not anyone else's personal walk. If I stumble, God is able to lift me up. Also Jesus taught that you don't actually have to "do the deed" to commit adultery - that it happens in the heart. Same with murder. So people should be careful how they judge because with the same judgement they dish out will be meted back to them. Therefore, if you are looking down on your brother for his sin (it is likely that you are guilty of the very same sin). Then there is that place in the NT that says if you are guilty of even ONE SIN you are guilty of ALL. Just some food for thought. People should focus on their own sin problem - not the sin problems of others.
Just imagine this: a Christian joins the military to fight for Jesus. He's sent to a foreign land and starts bombing, and kills Christians trying to hide. And maybe others who would have converted...

Is that soldier going to heaven?

Blessings,
brian

Old 11-18-2011, 05:53 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Can an adulterer who believes in Jesus Christ get to heaven?

If yes, then it's not true that adulterers don't get to heaven.

If no, then it's not true that faith is all that is required to get to heaven.

Food for thought..

Peace,
brian
Adultery is not to be understood from the physical perspective as in spouse having an affair but rather as one having turned against the Lord to follow the path of another instead.

Obviously then one in this adulterous state could not enter the Kingdom of Heaven for in the Kingdom is not allowed sinners.

Faith without works is dead and dead faith can't save anyone.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:58 AM

175 posts, read 174,782 times
While reading the responses in this thread, this piece of scripture floated across my little mind, without putting any spin or commentary on it:

Matthew 21:28-31
28 But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard. 29 He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went. 30 And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not. 31 Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:00 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Adultery is not to be understood from the physical perspective as in spouse having an affair but rather as one having turned against the Lord to follow the path of another instead.

Obviously then one in this adulterous state could not enter the Kingdom of Heaven for in the Kingdom is not allowed sinners.

Amen.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:49 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Quote:
Faith is not faith if mixed with willfull sin. To even suggest that merely words spoken from lying lips accompanied by sinful deeds is sufficient enough to be labeled "faith" is nothing short of an abomination. Willfull sinners will not receive eternal life...read this passage again Brian...1 John 3:6 states (and is totally supported by Scripture as a whole), "No one who lives in Him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen Him or known Him."...and...1 John 3:8 "Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil."...and...1 John 3:9 "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."

James 3:13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show his faith in love by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.

James 2:17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

James 2:18 Now someone may argue, "Some people have faith; others have good deeds." But I say, "How can you show me your faith if you don't have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds."

James 2:26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

James 2:24 You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

...and the faith spoken of in these passages above is true faith, not a false faith mixed with willfull sin.
Amen.... Verna !!

Quote:

Amen... trettep !!

Old 11-18-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:

So having an affair isn't intrinsically wrong?

Sounds to me like people can use the term, "the Lord" to mean just about anything! Ditto for the expression "follow Jesus." It's easy to say, because it's nebulous. Anyone can say that they "follow the Lord" but do unrighteously all along!

Blessings,
brian

Old 11-19-2011, 12:10 AM

697 posts, read 1,072,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

-Thanks SmalltownKSgirl for your assistance!

Blessings,
brian
Aw shucks!

Old 11-19-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Yes, we are all sinners, but ONLY believing, repentant sinners will go to heaven. Sinners must make their hearts right with God. Believers who continue to live in sin and do not repent and obey God's commandments will not go to heaven. That is not my HO, it's what the scriptures teach.

Katie
I think it is God who makes hearts right, not sinners.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
James 3:13 Who is wise and understanding among you? ...

James 2:17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

James 2:18 Now someone may argue, ...
James 2:26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

James 2:24 You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.
You rely on James, The Epistle of Straw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity