Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:26 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
If anyone feels sorry for themselves, try this quote on for size:

“I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."

This was written by a mother who watched all four of her children die when they were young. She also spent many years apart from her husband while he was fighting in a war for the benefit of our country. She must have been a very tough person.

Martha Washington
Stoic, for sure. Admirable, without doubt. And pretty unusual. Some might consider her to be cold-hearted and austere. Whereas other see great spiritual strength in such an attitude. We all judge everything differently, indeed. By the way, I'm not suggesting that people not carry on with life, but rather that there is a lot of pain and grief in humanity - always has been - always will be as long as we are subjected to "gain and loss", the temporal state of things that are constantly changing. Do you think only humans grieve - or do you think some other animals grieve also?
It seems like dogs are capable of feeling grief.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:32 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I think time is the only thing that can at least temper grief. It also depends on how strong and close you are with your family. If you are someone who loses an only child ,that can be hard to recover from. But if you have other children that you have to take care of and nurture then that can help in the healing. At some point in our lives, we need others to help us. Whether it be financially,emotionally,physically,etc. No man is island. Never underestimate the effect one can have on another in time of need. Whether it be words or deeds. To the littlke boy who lost everyone, that is a place where none of us would want to be. We should always truly put ourselves in another`s place. Wish I would have been more caring in my life.

Yes, good points. And I had a thought while reading your post which is how astonished I am when I watch those "real story" T.V. shows about how some people kill husband or wife for life insurance or other motives or moms kill their kids - and then I realize we are not all the same way inside nor do we all feel grieved about things to the same extent, otherwise people could not carry out such atrocities. I'm also astonished by the cruel things people are capable of behind closed doors in prisons of war and such --- just stunning really. I guess it just surprises me to realize that some people's hearts are very hardened which makes them capable of doing shocking things to other human beings. So I just ASSUME that the guy who lost his family is in great pain - but I don't know him, so I am making that assumption.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:05 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I don't think we all experience grief the same way (which is what I think you are saying in your post?) I know of people who don't appear to be grieved by much of anything - they just roll with the punches.
But of course only God can see their true hearts, so all I know is the outer appearance.
"Celebrate a loved one's life, instead of pondering their death."

It will give you peace of mind, bringing joy to your heart.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:57 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
"Celebrate a loved one's life, instead of pondering their death."

It will give you peace of mind, bringing joy to your heart.
I think this a great thought and should try to be followed. Perhaps if someone dies of old age or dies after a long illness,then it would be much easier to adjust to and follow these words. If it is someone who dies suddenly or the loss of a child,then it would take time to get to this point. After the grieving process (different for everyone) then one can start to heal and celebrate that person`s memories and life. imo

Old 11-29-2011, 06:24 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
With all due respect to the OP as well as everyone who has posted here, perhaps this thread might be better suited for another forum.

Thread temporarily closed considering moderator's consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity