Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 02:57 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,234,301 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info. Of particular note, I'd forgotten that Protestants don't believe in a Purgatory. That's interesting, particularly in that there are hypothesis about "multiple heavens" amongst certain spiritualists, their nature based on the sort of life we lead, which is closer to the Catholic doctrine.

I'm curious as to why Protestants reject the notion of Purgatory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 03:22 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,569,322 times
I think it's, in part, that in the Middle-Ages some unscrupulous bishops allegedly implied that if you gave them money it would help the souls in Purgatory. So many Protestants, to this day, think Purgatory is "a racket" and that priests are asking us for money or services to save the souls in Purgatory. However if this practice existed it was pretty much ended by the Council of Trent, so over four centuries ago, but the origins of Protestantism are pre-Trent.

Although more directly they feel Purgatory is not justified by the Bible. As a Catholic I'd be tempted to say part of why it's not "justified by the Bible" is because they took stuff out that could seem to justify it. Like Maccabees, for one. However, in fairness, Maccabees statements about praying for the dead may indeed be open to interpretation. Some feel that we don't go to Heaven or Hell until "The Final Judgment" and I think there are Protestant denominations like. From this perspective prayers for the dead could maybe be justified as something like how people talk to loved ones in a coma. It might help the coma patient, or give them comfort, but doesn't imply anything else. Although most Protestantism, so far as I know, doesn't recognize prayers for the dead at all.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:41 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
I think The Catholics gave us
The Father, Son and Holy Spirit (3) as One.

Instead, Jesus said 'I and The Father Are One'.
Two are One. Not 3.
Without the father, the son and the Holy Spirit it would be difficult to make the sign of the cross.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:39 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
I think The Catholics gave us
The Father, Son and Holy Spirit (3) as One.

Instead, Jesus said 'I and The Father Are One'.
Two are One. Not 3.
Yes, but that's not the point of this thread. The vast majority of Protestants are trinitarians, too.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:56 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I think this is a good and balanced explanation. Most in the Anglican Communion indeed considers itself the 'third way' between Catholicism and Protestantism.
Or "the middle way" (Via Media)

Even within the Anglican church, there are those who pray the Hail Mary or have statues in their churches and those who don't, and while Communion is a part of the regular weekly mass, you can believe in transubstantiation as a Catholic does or simply a remembrance as a Baptist does or anything in between.

We kneel and do the sign of the cross, too. You are not REQUIRED to do those things, but it is part of traditional worship.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-16-2012 at 07:09 AM..

Old 01-16-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Here's a major one Thomas missed:

The Catholic Church was created by Jesus Christ. The Orthodox ChurchES were created by Christ. Protestant denominations were created by MEN.
This sort of statement is not very nice, though, and is only inserted into the mix to start an argument. Of course you believe that your church is the only right one, and so do members of so many others churches and just as fiercely. As you are well aware, a Protestant could counter that their church is much closer to the one started by Jesus and that the Catholic Church's bells and whistles were added on by men as the centuries wore on. Since I personally belong to a church that was started by a king who wanted to divorce his non-male-child-producing wife, I'm not gonna go there.

Anyway, I once read one of the books of Karl Keating, a Catholic apologist. Although it did not make we want to convert to Catholicism or make me agree with all the Catholic dogma, it was very informative as it explained intelligently why Catholics believe many of the things they believe that Protestants do not.

Rather than continue to divide ourselves with these arguments, wouldn't it be nice if we learned about one another's beliefs within the Christian world and at least honored the reasons for the mixed beliefs, even if we don't agree with them? I'm pretty sure that none of us here on earth has it exactly right.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-16-2012 at 07:08 AM..

Old 01-16-2012, 10:01 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Protestantism (for the most part) differs most of Catholicism beliefs. Other things not mentioned are:
  • The Pope and what he stands for in Catholicism
  • The neccessity of a priest to recieve forgiveness of sins (in protestantism we have direct access to God himself via Jesus)
  • The significance of Mary
  • The intermediary of prayers by Mary \ saints
  • Celebacy
  • Sainthood... the who's and how's and what's make one
  • The purpose of mass
  • The absence of the wine being offered to the participant
  • the works righteousness emphsis

Old 01-16-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This sort of statement is not very nice, though, and is only inserted into the mix to start an argument. Of course you believe that your church is the only right one, and so do members of so many others churches and just as fiercely. As you are well aware, a Protestant could counter that their church is much closer to the one started by Jesus and that the Catholic Church's bells and whistles were added on by men as the centuries wore on. Since I personally belong to a church that was started by a king who wanted to divorce his non-male-child-producing wife, I'm not gonna go there.

Anyway, I once read one of the books of Karl Keating, a Catholic apologist. Although it did not make we want to convert to Catholicism or make me agree with all the Catholic dogma, it was very informative as it explained intelligently why Catholics believe many of the things they believe that Protestants do not.

Rather than continue to divide ourselves with these arguments, wouldn't it be nice if we learned about one another's beliefs within the Christian world and at least honored the reasons for the mixed beliefs, even if we don't agree with them? I'm pretty sure that none of us here on earth has it exactly right.
I hate when I find a typo and it's too late to correct. Meant "me" obviously. I am the only one in here.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:31 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Protestantism (for the most part) differs most of Catholicism beliefs. Other things not mentioned are:
  • The Pope and what he stands for in Catholicism
  • The neccessity of a priest to recieve forgiveness of sins (in protestantism we have direct access to God himself via Jesus)
  • The significance of Mary
  • The intermediary of prayers by Mary \ saints
  • Celebacy
  • Sainthood... the who's and how's and what's make one
  • The purpose of mass
  • The absence of the wine being offered to the participant
  • the works righteousness emphsis

I have to agree. Basically Protestants did away with the traditions and old rites. They simplified the religion by even eliminating the role of the priest.

BTW, any Catholic is free to talk directly to God in prayer and ask for forgiveness.

I am not sure i get the "purpose of mass" statement.

Catholics honor Mary and the Saints, but that does not mean they are deities.

As per tradition: The Pope is the Vicar of Christ.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:45 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,079,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
It wasn't until high school that I learned Catholics were considered to be relatively unusual in the U.S. (I just assumed we were like any other division of Christianity). I then learned a little about Martin Luther and his belief that Christians should work in order to please God. Besides that last bit, and various small differences such as Protestants not kneeling in church and not displaying statues in their churches, how else do Protestants differ from Catholics?
Well, I belong to an Anabaptist group. We believe in the priesthood of ALL believers, peace, adult baptism, no force of religion, and continuing revelation.
Oh, and that there need be no mediator between man and God. And we are save by grace, not by works
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity