Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:10 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,400,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Well, I brought it up - and then Fiyero mentioned it, and I further wrote out a reply at the same time you were writing one. Heh heh. [EDIT] = Okay, I see now you noticed that, and changed your post. ]

I agree with you, though - especially concerning the practice of the rape of prisoners. Job accuses his "friends" of not being "satisfied" or "sated" with his flesh - a big insult, as he basically accuses them of being the equivalent of rapists.
Pity me, pity me, my friends,
For the hand of God has struck me.

Why do you pursue me like God?
Are you not satisfied with my flesh?
(Job 19:21-22, AB)
In denying that he ever committed social injustices, Job mentions the conduct of the members of his household, and how they performed the hospitality NOT given in Judges and Genesis. Calling down curses upon himself if ever did the following:
If I rejoiced at my foe's misfortune,
Exulted when trouble befell him,
Or let my mouth offend,
Seeking his life with a curse;

If males of my household every said,
'O that we might sate ourselves with his flesh.'
The stranger did not sleep in the street;
My door I opened to the traveler.
If I hid my transgressions like Adam,
Concealing my guilt in a covert;

Though I feared the rabble clamor,
And the scorn of the clan terrified me,
I brought no man out the door.
(Job 31:29-34, AB)
Some pretty strong language denying that he ever let strangers be sexually abused when they sought sanctuary in his town - he let them stay in his own home, and refused to let them be raped by anyone, even those who might pound on the door. Apparantly such things still happened in the days of the author of Job.
Good point!

BTW, You and Fiyero seem to be the only other people on CD I've noticed who have ever brought up Judges 19 when the story of Sodom comes up again and again and again to try to use it against gay people.

As for rape being used by heterosexual men to dominate and control other men:

http://www.ncvc.org/ncvc/main.aspx?dbName=DocumentViewer&DocumentID=32361 (broken link)

Quote:
Historically, the rape of males was more widely recognized in ancient times. Several of the legends in Greek mythology involved abductions and sexual assaults of males by other males or gods. The rape of a defeated male enemy was considered the special right of the victorious soldier in some societies and was a signal of the totality of the defeat. There was a widespread belief that a male who was sexually penetrated, even if it was by forced sexual assault, thus "lost his manhood," and could no longer be a warrior or ruler. Gang rape of a male was considered an ultimate form of punishment and, as such, was known to the Romans as punishment for adultery and the Persians and Iranians as punishment for violation of the sanctity of the harem (Donaldson, 1990).

Nicholas Groth, a clinical psychologist and author of Men Who Rape: The Psychology of the Offender, says all sexual assault is an act of aggression, regardless of the gender or age of the victim or the assailant. Neither sexual desire nor sexual deprivation is the primary motivating force behind sexual assault. It is not about sexual gratification, but rather a sexual aggressor using somebody else as a means of expressing their own power and control.

The phrase "homosexual rape," for instance, which is often used by uninformed persons to designate male-male rape, camouflages the fact that the majority of the rapists are not generally homosexual (Donaldson, 1990)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 11:12 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,504,786 times
nope.
consumed by lust and coveting. also as the name implies sort of went south on their sex practices too. also law and order stunk. life on the hood was not nice there. just not a happy place to raise your kids. we got cities right here not too far off.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:19 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,400,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
nope.
consumed by lust and coveting. also as the name implies sort of went south on their sex practices too. also law and order stunk. life on the hood was not nice there. just not a happy place to raise your kids. we got cities right here not too far off.
Scripture? Talmud?

Last edited by Ceist; 03-09-2012 at 11:40 PM..

Old 03-09-2012, 11:23 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,504,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Scripture?
better use cruden's concordance much better take on this subject.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:05 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,693,696 times
sounds like every 1st world country that exists now

Old 03-10-2012, 04:41 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,375,664 times
Sexual immorality can take on many disguises. For those heterosexual men who feel justified in condemning homosexuals, they might want to take a closer look at their own sexual practices to see if they're on the up and up. In general, those who are honest with themselves, don't have time to judge other people.

It's amazing, nonetheless, how obsessed with homosexuality Christendom has become. It is clear that sexual values 2-4,000 years ago, and especially in other cultures where Disney and McDonalds don't exist, were very very different.
Am I correct that the OT permits a man to rape and woman and then marry her?
What about David's many concubines? --And yet God said that David was "a man after My own heart!"

Blessings,
brian

Old 03-10-2012, 02:09 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,841,574 times
The sin of selfishness which covers a lot of sins a lot of combinations of sins which when culminated together lead to definitions which completely ignore what makes them sins and justifies them with ignorance.

You see God condemns one little sin just as badly as a lot of big sins and that is why we all need Jesus Christ.

Sodom and Gahmora got off easy in this world but their eternity is their real torment.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:20 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,050,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
The sin of selfishness which covers a lot of sins a lot of combinations of sins which when culminated together lead to definitions which completely ignore what makes them sins and justifies them with ignorance.

You see God condemns one little sin just as badly as a lot of big sins and that is why we all need Jesus Christ.

Sodom and Gahmora got off easy in this world but their eternity is their real torment.
I tried to find a specific verse indicating that Sodom and Gomorrah are suffering in eternal torment, and couldn't find one. Not surprising, as the doctrine of an afterlife of reward and punishment was a late Hellenistic idea, not embraced by the authors of Genesis.

I wouldn't say that Sodom and Gomorrah "got off easy in this world" - for "in this world" they were destroyed. That's not exactly getting off easy "in this world".

Old 03-10-2012, 07:22 PM

14,905 posts, read 17,200,511 times
Jesus died for those who perished in Sodom and Gomorrah too. God bless and peace.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:00 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,645,050 times
Ezekiel 16:49
Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.

America? These are all sins that result from abandoning God. Homosexuality is an abandonment judgment from God for those that deny him as Creator (Romans 1) in which he "gives them over" to dishonor their bodies. The conscience no longer tells them it's wrong. After abandonment judgment comes physical judgement. Giving a nation over to Homosexuality is not a good sign as it is a sign of the end of a nation.

Homosexuality, Prostitution, Rape, etc... Make no mistake about it, God hates it all and will bring it into Judgment.

Hebrews 13:4
Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

God made Male and Female. Even Anatomy tells us it is supposed to be a Man with a Woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity