Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 01:01 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So you say, but I derived it from the Bible.

2 Thessalonians 1:9 They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power.

Shut out from his presence and from the majesty of his power.
In relation to time, not eternity.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:45 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
In relation to time, not eternity.
Everlasting.

You can convince yourself it means something else, but it is what it is. I have already seen you and other urs try to redefine the word, and every time they have failed. You can look up the threads if you like.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:44 AM

14,883 posts, read 17,164,304 times
The ages (periods of indefinite time are not the same as eternity (timelessness)) An age has a beginning and an end. Eternity has no beginning or end. God is described as the God of the ages, yet He also transcends the ages. He is working out His plan for mankind during the ages. The ages will end and God will become all in all.

* before the ages (or age) - 1Cor.2:7; 2Tim.1:9; Titus 1:2; Rom.16:25.
How can there be time before eternity? There can be an age or ages before an age.

*present age (singular) - Gal.1:4; I Tim. 6:17; 2Tim.4:10; Titus 2:12.

*this age (singular) - Luke 16:8; 1Cor.1:20; 2:6-8; Rom.12:2; Eph.2:2.

* end of the age (singular) - Matt.13:39,40; 24:3

* the coming age (singular) - Matt.12:32: Mark 10:30; Luke 18:30; Eph.1:21; Heb.6:5

*ages to come- Eph.2:7 [More ages are to begin in the future.]

*future ages (plural) - Luke 1:33; Heb.13:8.

*plan of the ages (plural) - Eph.3:11; Heb.1:2; 11:3.

*age of the age- Heb.1:8

*age of the ages - Eph.3:21

*ages of the ages (not eternal when all Bible contexts compared) - Rev.14:11; 19:3

*future ages - Jude25.

* the dispensation of the fullness of the times - Eph.1:10

God bless and peace.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 04-29-2012 at 08:55 AM..

Old 04-29-2012, 08:49 AM

14,883 posts, read 17,164,304 times
Apparent Contradictions

Old 05-03-2012, 12:00 AM

376 posts, read 419,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
You folks are something else.

I'm not here to convince you that Eternal Damnation is real. Many of the posters here have already made their decision.
You made your decicision too Lee

Quote:
The question is what are you going to say to God if you find out it is real? That all of these clear warnings are real?
Lee, what are you going to say to God if you find out UR is true and therefore you spend countless hours proclaiming Hitler was a saint compared to Father and Jesus was a huge failure. On top of that you'll know ETs did far, far, far more damage to Christianity than science, and all pagan religions combined.

Quote:
Is your allegorical interpretation infallible?
Is your?
The fact that you quote second rate "scholarship" in you opening post shows me you are a very long way from even coming near to infallible.
The fact is that ETs keep clinging unto the traditions of men; while URs at least try to use the original languages to support their claim.
ETs have, I'm sorry to say this, a huge track record of endless lies. Come on guys let's face it, URs made their point very clear. You might not agree with it: fine.
But still the ET crowd keeps spewing their venom: URs don't believe in the Bible. URs believe Jesus isn'ts needed for salvation. URs believe God doesn't care about sin. URs reject the Bible. Etc
It would be a really big step if the ETs accepted that UR folks do not believe those things. And with that knowledge finally start discussing.

Quote:
UR folks rolling dice with an eternal fate? Pretty big wager on a couple verses taken out of context no?
That quote summarizes things very well!
URs have very strong faith.
ETs take the safe bet based on fear. Not based of faith.
Perfect love casts out fear. Now tell me why do URs don't have fear and ET have fear?

Quote:
Luke 9:25 For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?
This may come as a shock to you but ETs are men too.

Last edited by WhiteWings; 05-03-2012 at 12:21 AM..

Old 05-03-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
The whole point of the Gospel is to get as many saved as will answer the call.
No. The whole point of the Gospel is proclaiming the redemptive works of Jesus are a complete and utter success affecting each and every person that has ever lived and will live.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Indeed anyone can claim 'out of context', but it does not make it so.
Perhaps it is the OP verses that are out of context of God's consuming fire and love?

The OP quotes Mark 9:43-48, but not verse 49:
Mark 9:49 For everyone will be salted with fire.

Hmmm does this mean everyone salted with 'hell'?

Mercy, not sacrifice. Yes.
Salt was a concept that was both very negative and very good.
In the OT we read a town of the enemy is salted after their defeat. Completely destroyed. But in many other verses salt is used to preserve and clean. Yes, each and every sacrifice on the Altar of burned offering was salted. Same for brimstone. It was used to cure skin infection. To purify a Temple. To remove bugs from ones house. If someone (with an infectious disease died in a house it was disinfect by burning brimstone. In general both salt and brimstone/sulpher were purifying materials. And clearly also in the verses you quoted because the next verse states "salt is good"

So all those salt and brimstone verses are about purification. Sound a bit like the UR view...

Old 05-03-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Everlasting.

You can convince yourself it means something else, but it is what it is. I have already seen you and other urs try to redefine the word, and every time they have failed. You can look up the threads if you like.
No Finn, it was you who ran away like a scared puppy.
I guess you also claim Jesus is still in His grave because the only sign that will be given is teh sign of Jonah who was in the belly of the fish for 3 days. Or as KJV translates it for ever.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:47 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
You made your decicision too Lee

Lee, what are you going to say to God if you find out UR is true.
According to UR Theology which is not Scriptural, I would have nothing to worry about because all are saved right?

Someone else made this comment as well, but it just shows the logic that is behind this absurd notion.

Any person seriously reading these posts and wondering about this, I just suggest that you take the UR one-verse theology and expand it to the entire epistle.

It will demonstrate these UR folks are simply taking verses out of context. Text without context with one-verse theology is dangerous.

It leads people to say stuff like "God failed". << Wow!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:04 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
According to UR Theology which is not Scriptural, I would have nothing to worry about because all are saved right?

Someone else made this comment as well, but it just shows the logic that is behind this absurd notion.

Any person seriously reading these posts and wondering about this, I just suggest that you take the UR one-verse theology and expand it to the entire epistle.

It will demonstrate these UR folks are simply taking verses out of context. Text without context with one-verse theology is dangerous.

It leads people to say stuff like "God failed". << Wow!
It leads universalist to say " if you do not believe God is willing and able to accomplish His desire", it is in fact YOU who is saying God failed. Get your facts right Lee, instead of misrepresenting universalists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity