Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:45 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,383,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Who said it was not inspired by God?

While it is not in the bible today so according to you it is not inspired.

Quote:
All scriptures ARE.. Inspired by God!

I agree

Quote:
Enoch is not scripture.. Telling you WHAT!!!?

Who says it is not scripture?

Quote:
Prayers are NOT scriptures but God inspires men to pray!

Well tell that to Jesus as He taught us to pray our Father who is in heaven.........

Quote:
pneuma The Prophesy could be inspired, does not mean the whole book is inspired!!

And that is my point concerning the bible. The bible contains scripture but not everything in the bible is scripture.

Quote:
The book is NOT inspired because it is not found in the scriptures..

I think you mean the book is not scripture because it is not found in the bible. Scripture is scripture after all. And you would still be in error as the first book of Enoch is in the Ethiopian bible.

Quote:
You can be sure ALL in the scriptures is inspired! IF...
If something read from the book of Enoch comes to be questioned, conflicting with scriptures, then you MUST take the scriptures over Enoch!

See here is your problem, according to the Ethiopian bible it is scripture as it is in that bible.

An Ethiopian would tell you you do not believe everything in the bible is scripture as you do not believe the book of Enoch is scripture.

I guess like many you only believe the bible you like is scripture and any bible that says otherwords is not to be trusted.

Also you are contending that scripture = bible it does not. and it is the reason for your stumbling and not being able to supply where in the bible it says the bible is the word of God or the bible is God breathed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmiller View Post
The Bible is the word for the "Scriptures". The Bible wasn't even a word when it was being composed at ANY point...

Pneuma loses.
Prove it Ben.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:54 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
SO again Dog
You mentioned that "ALL SCRIPTURES are God-Breathed" Does this include the Koran, Bhagdava Gita and Torah? THose books, like the Bible, are only considered "scriptural" because some religion deemed them so. Not because some deity deemed it so.
How about Man's Eternal Quest? That is a much more inspiring book than the Bible. And SRF Adherants see it as a sort of scripture, although it was written by a man.

Second, your comment is based on a fallacy. The passage "All Scripture is God Breathed" Was not written by God, it was written by Paul. And Paul, as I have shown on other forums, was a most "un Godly" man by any definition. How could someone confuse the words of Paul with the words of "god" ? Pauls words were Pauls words and are not part of MY philosophy.....We have no proof, no even reasonable comparison for equating Paul's words with "gods" and certainly no reason, outside of a religious agenda, to need to do so. Since we can look at Paul and say "He is not god" hence "god is not involved here with this man's writings" hence "god is absent" Hence "god is not involved here" therefore "god is not provable because he is so absent" hence the final argument, "god is unreal" BECAUSE "nothing unreal exists"

Keep in mind Paul would be dancing in his grave to think that his writings would be considered scripture or worse, but that is because his human ego was his driving force.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:00 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmiller View Post
The Bible is the word for the "Scriptures". The Bible wasn't even a word when it was being composed at ANY point...
Bible means, "Book."
And any book, can be called a Bible.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 PM

467 posts, read 467,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
SO again Dog
You mentioned that "ALL SCRIPTURES are God-Breathed" Does this include the Koran, Bhagdava Gita and Torah? THose books, like the Bible, are only considered "scriptural" because some religion deemed them so. Not because some deity deemed it so.
How about Man's Eternal Quest? That is a much more inspiring book than the Bible. And SRF Adherants see it as a sort of scripture, although it was written by a man.

Second, your comment is based on a fallacy. The passage "All Scripture is God Breathed" Was not written by God, it was written by Paul. And Paul, as I have shown on other forums, was a most "un Godly" man by any definition. How could someone confuse the words of Paul with the words of "god" ? Pauls words were Pauls words and are not part of MY philosophy.....We have no proof, no even reasonable comparison for equating Paul's words with "gods" and certainly no reason, outside of a religious agenda, to need to do so. Since we can look at Paul and say "He is not god" hence "god is not involved here with this man's writings" hence "god is absent" Hence "god is not involved here" therefore "god is not provable because he is so absent" hence the final argument, "god is unreal" BECAUSE "nothing unreal exists"

Keep in mind Paul would be dancing in his grave to think that his writings would be considered scripture or worse, but that is because his human ego was his driving force.
LargeKingCat Scriptures are God BREATHED... The Church put all the INSPIRED "God Breathed" manuscripts into one book, she called her book "The Bible"!
1) The WHOLE Bible is God's INSPIRED WORDS!
The Epistle of James or Timothy is God' words!
Paul's words are INSPIRED by God so they are God' words!
Paul' words are in the bible so they are INSPIRED by God!
Peter' words are INSPIRED by God
etc

2) The Church is the AUTHORITY, she is guided by God... The Koran, Bhagdava Gita are NOT God's words they are NOT in the bible!
Th Torah the first five books of the bible, are inspired by God!?

Key is: If it is in the bible it is INSPIRED WORKS!

The CHURCH is the Body of "The Word made Man"!
The Church is full of Brothers and Sister "IN" Christ! They are "IN" Christ because they are IN His Body!
Ephesians 5:23
For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.

I am CHRISTIAN and CHRISTIANS believe the bible.. It is just this simple!
We have FAITH, and faith includes believing the scriptures are God's words!
Faith is believing God can't lie, the God of the Christian is Perfect, if he lied he would not be God!!

The Bible is the word of God.. So it is TRUE!

Dogknox

Old 05-07-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Again dog I did not ask for your opinion I asked where in the bible it says the "bible" is the word of God.

Where does it say the "bible" is God breathed?

You just keep making up your own set of scriptures, nowhere in the bible does it say the bible is the word of God or the bible is God breathed.

So try again but good luck as you will not find anywhere in the bible that it states such a thing. Thus showing it to be a man made doctrine and as being a man made doctrine that doctrine should be done away with.
pneuma You are mistaken... The Manuscripts were all placed into one book.. This one book contains all the INSPIRED WORDS of God!

Until they were placed all into one location (one book) they were scattered in with UN INSPIRED manuscripts! No one knew for sure what was INSPIRED and what was NOT Inspired! It was confusion to the max!

Something had to be done.. It was the Holy Catholic Church NONE OTHER that took on the job! She weeded out all the uninspired works and kept all the INSPIRED manuscripts!! She then placed all the INSPIRED manuscripts into one book, she named this book "The Bible!" Guided by God ALONE she decided the inspired works!

pneuma The BOOK titled, "The Bible" is not in the scriptures and neither is the LIST of INSPIRED BOOKS! The LIST of the inspired manuscripts that belong in the bible is at the front of the bible! Put there by none other then the Holy Catholic Church!

The Bible was made.. (put together) 400 years after Jesus!

Dogknox

Old 05-07-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
pneuma You are mistaken... The Manuscripts were all placed into one book.. This one book contains all the INSPIRED WORDS of God!

And that Ethiopian bible contains the book of Enoch. And it is not I that am mistaken, if all Jesus saying where put to print the world would not be big enough to contain them.

Quote:
Until they were placed all into one location (one book) they were scattered in with UN INSPIRED manuscripts! No one knew for sure what was INSPIRED and what was NOT Inspired! It was confusion to the max!

Something had to be done.. It was the Holy Catholic Church NONE OTHER that took on the job! She weeded out all the uninspired works and kept all the INSPIRED manuscripts!! She then placed all the INSPIRED manuscripts into one book, she named this book "The Bible!" Guided by God ALONE she decided the inspired works!

So you must believe the apocryphal books are inspired by God. And you know what happened when man touched the ark of the covenant don't you? They died.

Quote:
pneuma The BOOK titled, "The Bible" is not in the scriptures and neither is the LIST of INSPIRED BOOKS! The LIST of the inspired manuscripts that belong in the bible is at the front of the bible! Put there by none other then the Holy Catholic Church!

So if the bible is not in the scripture why is it you believe the bible is the word of God or inspired by God? Just because a bunch of men sat down and said this is scripture and this is not scripture does not make those men correct. Just because your church say the bible is the word of God does not make it so. Heck they could not even agree what was scripture and what was not. They kept changing it all the way up until the 1600.

Quote:
The Bible was made.. (put together) 400 years after Jesus!

Which was also 400 years AFTER Paul said all scripture is inspired by God. When Paul made that statement, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter etc. had not written anything yet so obviously Paul was not talking about what they wrote. The bible of Paul's day consisted of the OT and only the OT.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:18 PM

431 posts, read 474,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogknox View Post
Hello JohnA151 good to meet you...
Good question.
I reply.. I believe in ONE GOD. The God found in the scriptures!
I reject the Greek gods or any other god/gods..I am Christian!
I have faith there is only ONE GOD!!

If any other gods did in fact exist, then I would NOT be truly Christian now would I! Christians believe there can only be ONE GOD!!

JohnA151 Christians believe the scriptures.. Our God' words!
Deuteronomy 4:35
You were shown these things so that you might know that the LORD is God; besides him there is no other.

Deuteronomy 4:39
Acknowledge and take to heart this day that the LORD is God in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other.

Isaiah 45:5
I am the LORD, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me,

John 10:30
I and the Father are one.”

I prove it by the scriptures >There is only one God<.. There is no other. The scriptures that you reject!!

JohnA151 If I proved to you, that a WHACK up the side of your head, hurts your head, by "whacking you"; Would you believe it?!

Some things can't be proved to some people... They are too slow to accept teaching!!
JohnA151 Some people might not believe a bullet can kill them unless they are shot by a gun, and die!

Most people believe credible TEACHERS and their TEACHING!
JohnA151 There are books that TEACH the Greek God's are myth, of course you will reject these books also!

JohnA151 God is spirit, it is hard to believe in Ghosts but there are people that do believe there are Ghosts! Ask them to prove it!!

I point to MIRACLES.. Would this be proof for you?? To some people it would be enough! To the people healed it would be enough!

I point to the scriptures.. They are God' words they do not contradict, they are a fluid story written by over forty men over four hundred years.. with no errors!
JohnA151 Try whispering something to one person, then have it repeated by others, when it gets back to you, your words will NEVER EVER be repeated back to you as they left you!! The scriptures tell a story and a history written by different people who may never have met yet the story is comprehensive!!

These men that wrote the scriptures; Their story continues and it does NOT change, it is written as if by one author! IMPOSSIBLE task except by God!
JohnA151 QUESTION: If I asked you to read the Bible for your PROOF.. Would you?!!

LOGIC ALONE is enough evidence the ancient Greek gods do NOT exist! Their story did not continue!!

SCriptures is enough evidence for me that; MY God does in fact EXIST!
Never mind all the MIRACLES, PROPHESY, HISTORY, Early Church Father's willing to DIE for their belief, and the COMPLETENESS of scriptures.

QUESTION..Archaeologist use the scriptures to "Dig Up Artifacts"! Do these people reject the Bible as Myth??!

Dogknox
I made my QUESTIONS in lime green so you would see them!
Good try but no cigar
the question was prove there are no other gods
you answered i only beleive in one
we are close in thought you believe in one god i believe in none only one deity away from believing the same

you keep quoting the bible no prove its anything other then words written by men pure fiction imo

you believe cus you have faith i respect that but it isnt PROOF

do you believe ALL YOU READ
i have read the bible extensively bought up in a *christian home * but thanks anyway

Old 05-08-2012, 12:17 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Men were inspired by pride and fear, it’s in the book.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 AM

pneuma reply to post # 97..
You said..
Quote:
And that Ethiopian bible contains the book of Enoch. And it is not I that am mistaken, if all Jesus saying where put to print the world would not be big enough to contain them.
I reply.. The Mormon BIBLE is not inspired.. If the book of Enoch is in the Ethiopian bible then it is NOT INSPIRED!! The Holy Catholic Church closed the canon of scriptures in 400 A.D. without the Book Of Enoch being one of the inspired books.. I am very sure if it was around at the time it would have been considered..
It was NOT considered INSPIRED (for whatever reason I don't know)!! It is just this simple!
You said..
Quote:
So you must believe the apocryphal books are inspired by God. And you know what happened when man touched the ark of the covenant don't you? They died.
YUP you are right.. The Catholic Bible has 73 books.. It has always had 73 books from day one.. The First King James Bible had 73 books, the First Bible ever printed the "Gutenberg Bible" had 73 books!!
Protestants took the "deuterocanonical" books (apocryphal books) out of the bible Catholic's did not add them!
The "deuterocanonical" books are INSPIRED books.. (Jesus quotes from them for one example!)
You asked..
Quote:
So if the bible is not in the scripture why is it you believe the bible is the word of God or inspired by God? Just because a bunch of men sat down and said this is scripture and this is not scripture does not make those men correct. Just because your church say the bible is the word of God does not make it so. Heck they could not even agree what was scripture and what was not. They kept changing it all the way up until the 1600.
I reply.. You are wrong.... on all counts!
1) The Bible contains the INSPIRED Manuscripts (books)! Pointing to the bible and saying "This is the Inspired words of God does NOT mean the cover of the book is inspired, it means the BOOK contains the Inspired works! This is what books do the gather all the pages into one place..!!!
2) These Bunch of Men had the AUTHORITY of God to do exactly what they did.. They were empowered by the Holy Spirit to TEACH all nations to the very end of the age! And having all the INSPIRED manuscripts in one place helps her TEACH!!
1 Timothy 3:15
if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.
The CHURCH mentioned is SINGULAR >>ONE<< it can't be any protestant churches they are PLURAL and all made by men! There was NO protestants or protestant churches for sixteen hundred years! THE CHURCH can only be the Holy Catholic Church is the Pillar and the foundation of truth!
3) The Holy Catholic Church does say "It is the Inspired word of God and her saying it is INSPIRED: DOES MAKE IT SO!
Jesus' CHURCH is the Body of God and God cannot error!

The bible was put together 400 years AFTER Jesus!
You said..
Quote:
Which was also 400 years AFTER Paul said all scripture is inspired by God. When Paul made that statement, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter etc. had not written anything yet so obviously Paul was not talking about what they wrote. The bible of Paul's day consisted of the OT and only the OT.
YUP right you are... BUT There was NO Bible until 400 A.D. there was just MANUSCRIPTS.. (individual works) of that day were INSPIRED and the Bible of day 400 A.D. was declared ALSO Inspired.. THEN..
pneuma Then the canon was closed!

Dogknox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity