Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:16 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,382,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I hear many people strongly dispute that God is the author of the Bible. Critics, often with what archaeologist Sir Charles Marston described as a “contemptuous disregard of the Bible narrative”, make constant attacks on the Bible’s integrity. Some dismiss it as being no more than “an old collection of myths and fairy-tales.”

But does it make a difference? Well, suppose you view God as more than some aloof indifferent deity, like as a good friend that you respect? What weight would you give to a document that purported to be the last will and testament of a friend if it turned out that he had not, in fact, written it? Suppose experts told you that it was a forgery—that well-meaning associates had written down what they believed were the wishes of your friend. Would that not devalue the document? Could you have real confidence that it truly conveyed the wishes of your friend?
So should the Bible be trusted? It is important that you decide correctly on this matter. Why? Because if the Bible does contain communication from God himself, it would be foolish—if not fatal—to ignore it. The extent to which you let it be a real influence in guiding your actions and forming your beliefs will be greatly diminished if you view it simply as the words of men rather than the Word of Almighty God.—1 Thess. 2:13.
We are indebted to honest scholarship that has helped to establish the original text of the Bible

No wonder so many people—even those who profess to be Christian—feel free to ignore what it says on subjects like honesty, sexual morality, and so forth. How often have you heard people disparagingly say things like, “Oh, but that is in the Old Testament!”—as if that means it is of little real value. And this despite the fact that the apostle Paul described the so-called Old Testament as “the holy writings” that were “inspired of God.”
“Surely you cannot simply disregard the evidence of all experts and scholars,” you may protest. Of course not! We are indebted, for example, to honest scholarship that has helped us to identify the original text of the Bible. Clearly, minor mistakes did creep into the text of the Bible as it was copied and recopied over the centuries. Remember, though: There is a big difference between recognizing that minor mistakes crept into copies of the Bible text and dismissing the whole Bible as a human fabrication.
I don't think anyone dismisses the whole bible as a human fabrication. The bible contains scripture, but not everything in the bible is scripture.

Let me ask you this: is the first book of Enoch the undefiled word of God?

If you say yes then why is it not in our bibles today?
If you say no then why did Jude qoute a prophey from it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 11:25 AM

467 posts, read 467,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
LOL show one scripture that states the "bible" is the word of God or that the "bible" is inspired by God.
pneuma simple enough...
Christians believe; The scriptures are inspired by God.
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The scriptures are GOD!!
The scriptures are God' word, they are God!! the Word was God.

16 All Scripture is God-breathed.

The scriptures are God's word>> the Word was God.
The Scriptures are from God's mouth>>All Scripture is God-breathed.

The scriptures are God's word.. In the beginning was the word!
Only God was in the beginning!
&
Thus they are from God.. They are God's words!

Dogknox

Old 05-07-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I don't think anyone dismisses the whole bible as a human fabrication. The bible contains scripture, but not everything in the bible is scripture.

Let me ask you this: is the first book of Enoch the undefiled word of God?

If you say yes then why is it not in our bibles today?
If you say no then why did Jude qoute a prophey from it?
I reply: the fact that Jude (verses 14-15) quotes from the Book of Enoch it does NOT mean that this book should be in our Bible!!
No more than the fact Paul quotes pagan poets (Acts 17:28) means their writings should be included in Scripture.
pneuma A biblical author can cite a non-canonical writing as illustrative of a point he wants to make, without suggesting everything included in that writing is authentic or from God.

Dogknox

Old 05-07-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
LOL show one scripture that states the "bible" is the word of God or that the "bible" is inspired by God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogknox View Post
pneuma simple enough...
Christians believe; The scriptures are inspired by God.
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The scriptures are GOD!!
The scriptures are God' word, they are God!! the Word was God.

The scriptures are God's word>> the Word was God.
The Scriptures are from God's mouth>>All Scripture is God-breathed.

The scriptures are God's word.. In the beginning was the word!
Only God was in the beginning!
&
Thus they are from God.. They are God's words!

Dogknox

I did not ask for your perspective I asked to be shown in the bible where it says the "BIBLE" is the word of God. And the scriptures you are referencing state the WORD was made flesh and dwelt amongst us, they do not state the WORD was made the bible.

Try again.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I reply: the fact that Jude (verses 14-15) quotes from the Book of Enoch it does NOT mean that this book should be in our Bible!!
No more than the fact Paul quotes pagan poets (Acts 17:28) means their writings should be included in Scripture.
pneuma A biblical author can cite a non-canonical writing as illustrative of a point he wants to make, without suggesting everything included in that writing is authentic or from God.

Dogknox

Dog

Jude did not quote the first book of Enoch as an illustrative point, he quoted a prophesy from the book of Enoch.

What! is this prophesy not inspired by God?

Try again

Old 05-07-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I did not ask for your perspective I asked to be shown in the bible where it says the "BIBLE" is the word of God. And the scriptures you are referencing state the WORD was made flesh and dwelt amongst us, they do not state the WORD was made the bible.

Try again.
pneuma All scripture is "The WORD of God"!

Scriptures come from the mouth of God.. It is God breathed! Coming from God' mouth means it is the WORDS of God
Matthew 4:4
Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’ ”

Every word of scriptures comes from God' mouth; God-breathed!
The Bible is the word of God because it comes from God' mouth!
The Bible comes from God's mouth because it is Breathed by God!
Scriptures are breathed by God.... They pass through God' mouth!
ALL..
All scriptures are the words of God, they come from the Mouth of God!
Jesus is the Mouth of God... All Jesus spoke is the words of God!
John 8:28
So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me.

John 12:49
For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken.

Jesus is the word...
All the scriptures are Jesus' words!

Old 05-07-2012, 01:44 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,601 times
In fact, the Bible doesn't say that it is the only book inspired by God, or that it is the only book that a Christian should read.
The problem is that many Christians are "useless," in the sense that their religion doesn't change how they live in the world. They just isolate themselves, but real issues don't interest them at all! It's like getting in a car and then reading a book! The car serves for nothing.

Being a Christian, imo, is about leading a New Life of living Right. And spreading that message to others.
Unfortunately, people are more interested in getting others to go to their church meetings, than standing up for what is Right.

And the Bible really has little to do with their lives.

Blessings,
brian

Old 05-07-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Dog

Jude did not quote the first book of Enoch as an illustrative point, he quoted a prophesy from the book of Enoch.

What! is this prophesy not inspired by God?

Try again
Who said it was not inspired by God?

All scriptures ARE.. Inspired by God!
Enoch is not scripture.. Telling you WHAT!!!?

Prayers are NOT scriptures but God inspires men to pray!

pneuma The Prophesy could be inspired, does not mean the whole book is inspired!!
The book is NOT inspired because it is not found in the scriptures..

You can be sure ALL in the scriptures is inspired! IF...
If something read from the book of Enoch comes to be questioned, conflicting with scriptures, then you MUST take the scriptures over Enoch!

Dogknox

Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:

Try again.
Quote:
pneuma All scripture is "The WORD of God"!

Scriptures come from the mouth of God.. It is God breathed! Coming from God' mouth means it is the WORDS of God
Matthew 4:4
Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’ ”

Every word of scriptures comes from God' mouth; God-breathed!
The Bible is the word of God because it comes from God' mouth!
The Bible comes from God's mouth because it is Breathed by God!
Scriptures are breathed by God.... They pass through God' mouth!
ALL..
All scriptures are the words of God, they come from the Mouth of God!
Jesus is the Mouth of God... All Jesus spoke is the words of God!
John 8:28
So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me.

John 12:49
For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken.

Jesus is the word...
All the scriptures are Jesus' words!
Again dog I did not ask for your opinion I asked where in the bible it says the "bible" is the word of God.

Where does it say the "bible" is God breathed?

You just keep making up your own set of scriptures, nowhere in the bible does it say the bible is the word of God or the bible is God breathed.

So try again but good luck as you will not find anywhere in the bible that it states such a thing. Thus showing it to be a man made doctrine and as being a man made doctrine that doctrine should be done away with.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:34 PM

151 posts, read 141,182 times
The Bible is the word for the "Scriptures". The Bible wasn't even a word when it was being composed at ANY point...

Pneuma loses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity