Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:39 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASULAR17 View Post
In fairness someone who hasn't repented and living in adultery should not receive communion (example) .All priests are right on that specific issue.
Das
Because Jesus only came for the righteous . . . so He certainly won't come to some unrighteous adulterer or sinner who seeks communion with Him . . . right???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 07:26 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,554,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Or I should say sat down;
It was First Communion day at Sunday Mass, as all Catholics know its a big day, Mass is packed with everyone's grandparents , uncles and aunts.
The priest announces if you are do not attend regularly not to come up for Communion; after the kiddies received not one person went up to receive the entire church remained seated.

Austrian parish listens to priest, none receive the host | National Catholic Reporter
Not attending Mass, except for certain understandable circumstances, is a mortal sin since Mass attendance is an obligation. We have a problem today with too many Holiday and cafeteria Catholics. The priest did the right thing. It is a sad state of affairs if not one person in a whole parish attends Mass regularly. Most parishes hold many Masses over the weekend to accomodate most people's schedules. When I worked in the service industry and had to work on the weekends, I still had time to go to one of the weekend Masses. Ted, you just seem to like to rebel for the sake of rebelling. It seems to you that if a priest or Bishop says it, then it must be wrong, or if a priest or Bishop says it, then the laity shouldn't listen. That is also sad. Look into your heart and ask what your motive is here.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Or I should say sat down;
It was First Communion day at Sunday Mass, as all Catholics know its a big day, Mass is packed with everyone's grandparents , uncles and aunts.
The priest announces if you are do not attend regularly not to come up for Communion; after the kiddies received not one person went up to receive the entire church remained seated.

Austrian parish listens to priest, none receive the host | National Catholic Reporter
From that article:
Quote:
The parish church of Amras, Austria, near Innsbruck in Tyrol, was chock-a-block full for the first-Communion Mass on April 22. Shortly before Communion, the parish priest, Norbertine Fr. Patrick Busskamp, announced that only Catholics who were in a state of grace should come forward to Communion. Catholics who are divorced and remarried and Catholics who do not attend Mass every week were not worthy to receive the Eucharist, he said.
There is nothing wrong with this. I've had several priests do this before, and many do it most especially at Masses that would have many non-Catholics, like a funeral Mass and such. I really don't see why the whole parish was insulted..or why anyone was insulted. These are the rules; everyone knows that and knows them. What the priest said is not new or a surprise to anyone, unless they are new or ignorant Catholics.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
From that article:
There is nothing wrong with this. I've had several priests do this before, and many do it most especially at Masses that would have many non-Catholics, like a funeral Mass and such. I really don't see why the whole parish was insulted..or why anyone was insulted. These are the rules; everyone knows that and knows them. What the priest said is not new or a surprise to anyone, unless they are new or ignorant Catholics.
It has nothing to do with it being new or people being ignorant Catholics. It has to do with people understanding the TRUE purpose of communion . . . not the bigoted anachronistic dogma from a corrupt hierarchy completely out of touch with Christ and His Holy Spirit. Those who fail to embrace the Spirit John XXIII wanted for the church and who fight against what Vatican II enacted and tried to promote are fighting to retain ancient ignorance, authoritarianism and corruption as if it was the heart of Catholicism.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It has nothing to do with it being new or people being ignorant Catholics. It has to do with people understanding the TRUE purpose of communion . . . not the bigoted anachronistic dogma from a corrupt hierarchy completely out of touch with Christ and His Holy Spirit. Those who fail to embrace the Spirit John XXIII wanted for the church and who fight against what Vatican II enacted and tried to promote are fighting to retain ancient ignorance, authoritarianism and corruption as if it was the heart of Catholicism.
This has been Catholic teaching for centuries if not millenias. Look up the writings and the Homilies of the Early Church and Apostolic Fathers. It comes straight out of Scripture and Tradition. No council, even Vatican II, can invalidate it. And the "purpose of Communion" is spelled out in detail in the Catechism. I can quote it if you like.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
This has been Catholic teaching for centuries if not millenias. Look up the writings and the Homilies of the Early Church and Apostolic Fathers. It comes straight out of Scripture and Tradition. No council, even Vatican II, can invalidate it. And the "purpose of Communion" is spelled out in detail in the Catechism. I can quote it if you like.
No need . . . I am more than familiar with it all. But Christ did NOT come to only commune with the righteous!! That was never His Way. Besides He specifically came for the sinners. All who want to commune with Him should be welcome. All the mumbo jumbo rigamarole about magical transubstantiation and sacraments are ancient superstitious nonsense. Christ is within us ALL. Communion helps us to focus on Him within and commune with His Holy Spirit. All magic believers need to come into the 21st century and enjoy the reality of His presence. He REALLY abides with us . . . not magically.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
No need . . . I am more than familiar with it all. But Christ did NOT come to only commune with the righteous!! That was never His Way. Besides He specifically came for the sinners. All who want to commune with Him should be welcome. All the mumbo jumbo rigamarole about magical transubstantiation and sacraments are ancient superstitious nonsense. Christ is within us ALL. Communion helps us to focus on Him within and commune with His Holy Spirit. All magic believers need to come into the 21st century and enjoy the reality of His presence. He REALLY abides with us . . . not magically.
Yes, he came for sinners....and there are other Sacraments He instituted to help them come into the Church and receive salvation. One of them is Confession. Forgive my bad memory, but am I correct in assuming you are nott Catholic? Because no Catholic, even luke-warm or cafeteria ones, would characterize the Eucharist and other sacraments as "mumbo jumbo rigamarole about magical transubstantiation and sacraments are ancient superstitious nonsense."

Old 05-06-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, he came for sinners....and there are other Sacraments He instituted to help them come into the Church and receive salvation. One of them is Confession. Forgive my bad memory, but am I correct in assuming you are nott Catholic? Because no Catholic, even luke-warm or cafeteria ones, would characterize the Eucharist and other sacraments as "mumbo jumbo rigamarole about magical transubstantiation and sacraments are ancient superstitious nonsense."
Born and raised Catholic through ALL the rites but never believed any of it. Declared my atheism at an early age. Practiced Buddhism and meditation for 18+ years as an atheist until I encountered God in deep meditation and my atheism was erased instantly. I spent the next 40+ years trying to explain it all to my intellect. This eventually led me full circle to Christ. The God I encountered was pure love and acceptance. It is inconceivable that He would care about any of the rigamarole enforced and demanded by the corrupt authoritarians in charge of the Catholic Church.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:16 PM

I regularly deny myself the Eucharist because I am concious of my mortal sin. I don't see what the problem is. Since, MysticPhD, you don't have much respect for the Eucharist anyways and don't believe it to be the body and blood of Christ, then I don't understand your objection even more. Can't one commune with Christ in other ways? And if the Eucharist is not His body and blood, then taking it is not communing with Him anyways, right? So what's the big deal?

Old 05-06-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Born and raised Catholic through ALL the rites but never believed any of it. Declared my atheism at an early age. Practiced Buddhism and meditation for 18+ years as an atheist until I encountered God in deep meditation and my atheism was erased instantly. I spent the next 40+ years trying to explain it all to my intellect. This eventually led me full circle to Christ. The God I encountered was pure love and acceptance. It is inconceivable that He would care about any of the rigamarole enforced and demanded by the corrupt authoritarians in charge of the Catholic Church.
The Catholic Church has always taught this. So was it always corrupt?

And the RCC does accept sinners, but to receive the Eucharist one must be in a state of grace. Current Catholics who are concious of mortal sin only and simply need to go to Confession before receiving the Eucharist. Non-Catholics must become Catholic and then go to Confession before receiving. What is the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity