Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 12:40 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,715,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No it is not. There is no magic or superstition about Christ. He is real and abides with us. His holy Spirit is accessible to us all within our consciousness. We need no man to teach us (or to confess to) or to intervene for us. We already have Christ the LIVING Word of God.

I do not get a kick out of fundies who live in an autocratic past built on ancient ignorance and superstition that harkens back to the mentality that produced the Inquisition and Witch burnings.
We get it; you are SO proud of yourself for being enlightened enough to leave the awful, wicked, old-fashioned Catholic Church.
If you left the Church behind, why do you still constantly criticize it? Just move on, and revel in your self-righteousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 01:29 PM

467 posts, read 468,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Communion is only to remember Him . . . and the "unworthily" simply means insincerely. It is always our state of mind and our spiritual development and maturity that is of concern to God . . . nothing else. If we are sincere in our desire to commune with Him . . . we are worthily seeking to remember Him. Why do you think God would care about any of the trivialities instituted by undeniably (for millennia) corrupt men? Your sincere state of mind toward God is the only critical variable . . . and God knows what that IS without any rigamarole or intervention by men.
Scriptures please!!!
MysticPhD Where...
Where in scriptures does it say; "Communion is only to remember"!

The word "Communion" comes from the root word "Communication" as in "conveying information" in two directions!

To be in COMMUNION with God is to be a Child of the Father.
To be CHILD of God, you must be "IN" Jesus' holy Body!
God has only one son.. Just ONE Son!
MysticPhD If you are NOT IN the Church, you can't be "IN Jesus"!
If you are NOT "IN Jesus" then God is not, he cannot be your father.. It is just this simple!

I wait for you reply!

Old 05-07-2012, 02:22 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,873,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
Not attending Mass, except for certain understandable circumstances, is a mortal sin since Mass attendance is an obligation. We have a problem today with too many Holiday and cafeteria Catholics. The priest did the right thing. It is a sad state of affairs if not one person in a whole parish attends Mass regularly. Most parishes hold many Masses over the weekend to accomodate most people's schedules. When I worked in the service industry and had to work on the weekends, I still had time to go to one of the weekend Masses. Ted, you just seem to like to rebel for the sake of rebelling. It seems to you that if a priest or Bishop says it, then it must be wrong, or if a priest or Bishop says it, then the laity shouldn't listen. That is also sad. Look into your heart and ask what your motive is here.
And I have had priest say if the reason you are here is because you have to be here you should stay home.
Yes you must be right I am one of THOSE that have a problem with authority
You know you should look into your own heart and not worry about other people's hearts; so take your phony piety somewhere else

Old 05-07-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
That is not Catholic teaching. Since you are no longer Catholic, respectfully speaking, this has nothing to do with you so our discussion is over. To be a Catholic, one must accept all the teachings of the Catholic Church, especially the very basic ones like the Trinity and the sacraments. If you don't, then why be Catholic? That would be illogical.
I think he has more of a concept of what it really means to be a Catholic than you do.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:29 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,081,322 times
I am not Catholic but know enough about the faith to make this statement ... If a person does not attend regularly what are the chances they went to Confession? How can you receive Communion if you have not been to Confession?

Old 05-07-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I regularly deny myself the Eucharist because I am concious of my mortal sin. I don't see what the problem is. Since, MysticPhD, you don't have much respect for the Eucharist anyways and don't believe it to be the body and blood of Christ, then I don't understand your objection even more. Can't one commune with Christ in other ways? And if the Eucharist is not His body and blood, then taking it is not communing with Him anyways, right? So what's the big deal?
i wouldn't be surprised if you practiced self flagellation

Old 05-07-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
I am not Catholic but know enough about the faith to make this statement ... If a person does not attend regularly what are the chances they went to Confession? How can you receive Communion if you have not been to Confession?
Don't tell anyone I told you this especially here at this forum but not to many people go to confession these days

Besides if you want to be legalistic about it you only have to go if you are in a state of MORTAL SIN

Old 05-07-2012, 06:03 PM

63,939 posts, read 40,210,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
We get it; you are SO proud of yourself for being enlightened enough to leave the awful, wicked, old-fashioned Catholic Church.
No it is not about me . . . I am ashamed of those who have allowed corrupt political old men to tell them what our loving God is like using ancient ignorance and superstition from 2000 - 4000+ years ago. I am appalled that they have ignored the advances in knowledge and understanding that we have achieved over 2000+ years to retain and promote their stagnant 1st century beliefs and superstitions about God. I am outraged that they force others to follow them into continuing error and ignorance. They affect millions and carry a heavy burden because of it . . . but that is scant consolation for those they victimize in more ways than sex abuse.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:23 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,555,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
You know you should look into your own heart and not worry about other people's hearts; so take your phony piety somewhere else
I would do that if you would stop causing scandal and division by airing our dirty laundry in a forum with non-beleivers. The Catholic Church has problems, yes, clearly, but we Catholics should address them amongst ourselves (and I mean the laity, too, not just the leadership since clrearly the leadership has failed...that I agree with you on). Our Church is our Mother; what if your mother was a drunk? Would you try to help her in private out of respect and love? Or would you scold her in public and cause scandal to your family? I honestly want to know what your motive is for doing that? Not to judge you, but to honestly try to understand. If you think this helps the Church, tell me how it does or could do that?

Old 05-07-2012, 06:40 PM

63,939 posts, read 40,210,295 times
Quote:
I would do that if you would stop causing scandal and division by airing our dirty laundry in a forum with non-beleivers. The Catholic Church has problems, yes, clearly, but we Catholics should address them amongst ourselves (and I mean the laity, too, not just the leadership since clrearly the leadership has failed...that I agree with you on). Our Church is our Mother; what if your mother was a drunk? Would you try to help her in private out of respect and love? Or would you scold her in public and cause scandal to your family? I honestly want to know what your motive is for doing that? Not to judge you, but to honestly try to understand. If you think this helps the Church, tell me how it does or could do that?
What pathetic little change and enlightenment has been allowed into that ingrown institution has been the result of significant and constant pressure from outside the church. The autocrats have too much power and control over the membership, religious and priesthood for any internal influence to be allowed to make a dent in their autocratic ignorance and anachronistic views of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity