Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:06 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,824,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It has nothing to do with approving sin. Most of the LDS people who marched in this parade probably believe that homosexual intimacy is a sin. What they also believe is that, on matters of morality, it's best to let God be the judge. It is entirely possible to believe a behavior is immoral, but to still believe that all law-abiding American citizens should have the same human rights under the law.
I don't know the hearts and minds of those 300 people, and neither do you, but obviously participating in a march which is designed to promote homosexuality is a declaration of public approval. Maybe it was not intentional. who knows, but I think a better option would have been to stand by the street holding a sign saying which makes their position clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 07:38 AM

4,171 posts, read 10,716,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't really think that the idea that you can love someone out of being gay crossed very many of the marchers' minds. If you were to ask each of the 300 participants who marched why they did, you may very well get a whole variety of different reasons. I didn't march because I wasn't even aware that it was going to happen (I knew about the parade, but not about any LDS people participating). Had I marched, it would have been as a statement that I don't believe we as Americans have the right to impose our own moral standards on society. In other words, while I believe that homosexual intimacy is sinful, I believe it is up to God -- not me -- to punish the sinner. And we are attempting to punish people when we deny them their civil rights for not conforming to our own ideas of what's right and what's wrong.
And that [bolded] is the crux of the biscuit.

I believe that a lot of sinners, not just homosexuals, are going to be quite surprised when they are called into account - but it is not my or my government's place to try to restrict their freedom to choose to go straight to hell. As long as they harm no one else, government should let them choose their own path to heaven or hell - and to take personal responsibility for their choices. Those who respond to homosexuals with hate, with rage, with cruelty and with laws - they too will be judged for their sins against others. Self-appointed judges and the self-righteous judgmental never consider that they themselves will be judged, of course... and not just for their actions, but for their purposes. God knows why they insist on setting themselves up as judges, He knows their motivations and their weaknesses, even if they themselves will not admit it.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
And that [bolded] is the crux of the biscuit.

I believe that a lot of sinners, not just homosexuals, are going to be quite surprised when they are called into account - but it is not my or my government's place to try to restrict their freedom to choose to go straight to hell. As long as they harm no one else, government should let them choose their own path to heaven or hell - and to take personal responsibility for their choices. Those who respond to homosexuals with hate, with rage, with cruelty and with laws - they too will be judged for their sins against others. Self-appointed judges and the self-righteous judgmental never consider that they themselves will be judged, of course... and not just for their actions, but for their purposes. God knows why they insist on setting themselves up as judges, He knows their motivations and their weaknesses, even if they themselves will not admit it.
The government is not doing anything to ban homosexuality.

As for Christians, approving the sins of others is NOT helping the sinner at all. On the contrary, it only helps and encourages them continue on their path to destruction.

God killed Eli's sons because Eli approved their sins, and Romans 1 clearly says that approving other people's sins is not acceptable.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:14 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,908,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
....it is not my or my government's place to try to restrict their freedom to choose to go straight to hell.

Self-appointed judges and the self-righteous judgmental never consider that they themselves will be judged,
Does that include you for what you wrote above? Do you see it ...the judgement on homosexuals and other 'sinners' that sends them straight to 'hell'?

Old 06-05-2012, 11:39 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,096,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Approving sin is never a good thing.

Romans 1:32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.
Expressio0n sof love to sinners is never worng.If that were the case then alot of others sinners would not be in Church and perhaps churches would be empty if sinners were excluded. I do not belive in gay marriage but do not believe that loving ones fellow humnas is wrong.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Expressio0n sof love to sinners is never worng.If that were the case then alot of others sinners would not be in Church and perhaps churches would be empty if sinners were excluded. I do not belive in gay marriage but do not believe that loving ones fellow humnas is wrong.
I didn't say expression of love is a bad thing, I said approving sin is never a good thing. You cannot express love by pushing people deeper into sin. Do you love an alcoholic by giving them a bottle of booze? No. Do you love a robber by telling them of an easy target. No. Do you love a pedofile, by telling him what he is doing is OK? No.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:53 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,165,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
It looks like they used the "Love thy neighbor as thyself" commandment. It has been popular to distort this passage to make it sound like Jesus Christ would endorse same-sex marriage. Obama even did it on TV.
Better to "distort" (laugh) the Bible for the cause of love, equality, and freedom rather than that of fear, oppression and hatred, which most Christians have done throughout history.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:00 PM

4,171 posts, read 10,716,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Does that include you for what you wrote above? Do you see it ...the judgement on homosexuals and other 'sinners' that sends them straight to 'hell'?
Yes I do! Finally - someone gets the point!!!

Geez, some days it's like pulling teeth with a string and a doorknob around here!

Old 06-05-2012, 05:09 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,043,504 times
It seems the church is divided on the issue. This is just one of many recent extremist views on homosexuality being touted from the pulpit:

Kansas pastor says government should kill gays, but 'they won't'

I think he's a mad man, personally. He is motivated by inner rage and self-righteousness.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:12 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,043,504 times
Seven of the worst recent homophobic rants coming from pastors:
Have Mercy: 7 of the worst homophobic pastor rants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity