Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
So God of the OT is a twisted individual
For a Calvinist of course, there is nothing twisted because if you believe the non few (few be "saved", right?) will be in eternal unstoppable pain and agony (due to being born an un-chosen one). I mean - what crime on earth can equal this (outcome)? None. But thankfully, there is no such thing so... no prob.

Be blessed my online friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 12:31 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Do you believe that an individual can read the Bible and believe some of the things in it but not others? And if this is the case, are they wasting their time and calling God a liar by doing so?
I think any reasoning person will find things in the Bible that don't make sense on first reading. As they read more, they understand more. They will never understand all of it. That doesn't in any way mean they are wasting their time and it absolutely doesn't make God a liar! The Bible is a little like an infinite holograph, the more you look into it, the more you see. On each reading of the Bible, I learn new things that I didn't understand before. I believe everything in the Bible, but I don't understand it all. We are promised that the Holy Spirit will reveal all things to believers in time. I eagerly await that day.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:29 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I think any reasoning person will find things in the Bible that don't make sense on first reading. As they read more, they understand more. They will never understand all of it. That doesn't in any way mean they are wasting their time and it absolutely doesn't make God a liar! The Bible is a little like an infinite holograph, the more you look into it, the more you see. On each reading of the Bible, I learn new things that I didn't understand before. I believe everything in the Bible, but I don't understand it all. We are promised that the Holy Spirit will reveal all things to believers in time. I eagerly await that day.
RESPONSE:

Despite the faith of believers, the Bible is only one of a number of "holy books" which most of the world's major religions claim in some fashion to be divinely inspired. Each has its own writings which, in effect, say that theirs is the only 'true' holy book.

And it is always interesting to hear or read such a statement as:

"We are promised that the Holy Spirit will reveal all things to believers in time. I eagerly await that day"

While this may be claimed by any the religions that have a holy book, this is clearly circular reasoning.

In effect it is saying "The bible is inspired because it says it is and it says there is a Holy Spirit who will reveal this to you."

But this is a statement of (subjective) faith not (objective) fact. To establish the fact, one has to examine the evidence.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:11 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Actually, I used to have faith when I was younger. I didn't know any better. I was uneducated, and the only thing filling my mind was what was fed to me by Sunday School teachers. These days, I rely on common sense and reason, which seems to be a mortal enemy of organized religion. In fact, that statement can't be any better explained than by looking at the scripture that states "Do not rely on your own understanding".

If God did not want us to analyze what we have before us, why did he create us with the ability to reason and make decisions based off of our own perceptions? The more I read the Bible, the more skeptical I become. Christians tell me to study the Bible to become closer to Christ, but the more I do, the further I drift away.

The problem with posing questions like I did in a Christian forum is that the bulk of replies all say the same thing. I need to have more faith and just accept the unbelievable as fact, when in reality, I see the stories in the Bible just as unbelievable as anything that can be seen in the Lord of the Rings movies. This attitude I have cannot change as long as I take everything I see and apply logic to it. As I've said before, I've prayed to God many times just to help me understand and see things how He wants me to see them. What else can a person do? You either believe in the unbelievable or you're skeptical of it. It simply is what it is.

For those that have so far contributed to this thread, I want to thank you for sharing your opinions. My intention is not to mock you, but to understand how you accept these far fetched stories without the slightest seeds of doubt. Where did I go wrong? Did I miss the train that had all the Kool Aid stashed away on it? What more can I do? I've already prayed for the gift of understanding.
Ditchlight people are saved by believing the "good news" of the gospel defined as the death, burial, resurrection, and testimony of Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 15) trusting the Lord to save them. The Lord Jesus Christ authenticates the Word of God on a number of occasions. So one believes on the Son of God who authenticates the Old Testament as the divine "Word of God". It is truly good news as Jesus Christ paid the penalty if we only accept it. All we have to do is believe on God's works through Christ trusting him.

The message is so simple a child could understand, but man adds to the requirements resulting in legalism which keeps people from receiving God's free gift to mankind. I know it kept me from it. Do this that and the other and God will accept you. Nope.. Accept Christ just as you are as a sinful creature, and he will save and work through you transforming your life. <that's what the Bible says. Sin is powerful force enslaving us in bondage controlling us keeping many from receiving the gospel because they think they have to be perfect on their own power to be accepted. Why even bother.. that was my thinking for a long time.

I admit some of the stories seem strange such as the talking donkey, but it doesn't mean it couldn't happen. If God could create this entire universe, than he surely can do such a thing. As for the story of Jonah in the belly of the fish, an explanation that made better sense to me was that the man was resurrected after three days. Thus they 'type' was accomplished. God has a lot of those in his word.

I think the legalism that many tend to go down destroy the Spirit of Christianity and I think this leads many away from God. The amount of division in Christianity is a huge discouragment as well. Everyone's divided over doctrine, but the great commandment is to Love one another. The divisions/denominations is a sign of carnality. It's just another testimony to me that what the Scriptures say is true. We are sinful creatures in need of redemption.

To my surprise, I've found that there is no contradictions between what we observe in science and what the Scriptures say. There is a lot of archeological evidence that what the Bible says historically is true. Despite the claims Jesus Christ did really exist, he was not a copycat of some pagan god, and according to the testimony of Scriptures is alive today awaiting a point in time to come back in power and glory.

We want to be covered by the Passover Lamb when this happens.

I suggest look first to Jesus Christ, and let things work from there.

Here are some interesting links.. A good expositional teacher

IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE FROM DANIEL9 THAT JESUS IS THE MESSIAH - CHUCK MISSLER - PART1 - YouTube

Chuck Missler - Cosmic Codes - Vol 1 (Introduction) - Part 1 - YouTube

In Search Of Mt Sinai with Bob Cornuke - YouTube

God bless you

Old 08-30-2012, 08:18 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
But this is a statement of (subjective) faith not (objective) fact. To establish the fact, one has to examine the evidence.
"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen"

Old 08-30-2012, 10:39 AM

Mikelee1981 posted:

>>Ditchlight people are saved by believing the "good news" of the gospel defined as the death, burial, resurrection, and testimony of Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 15) trusting the Lord to save them. The Lord Jesus Christ authenticates the Word of God on a number of occasions. So one believes on the Son of God who authenticates the Old Testament as the divine "Word of God". It is truly good news as Jesus Christ paid the penalty if we only accept it. All we have to do is believe on God's works through Christ trusting him.<<

RESPONSE:

What are "ditchlight people"?

>>The Lord Jesus Christ authenticates the Word of God on a number of occasions.<<

No. It is only claimed that Christ authentices the gospels. That's what the story says.

I'm told that the story of Cinderella says somewhere that Cinderella is a true story. Is that proof that it really is?

Old 08-30-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen"
RESPONSE:

Isn't this an admission of lack of the use of reason?

Fideism holds that faith is necessary, and that beliefs may be held without evidence or reason, or even in conflict with evidence and reason. (fr. Wikipedia)

A philosophical term meaning a system of philosophy or an attitude of mind, which, denying the power of unaided human reason to reach certitude, affirms that the fundamental act of human knowledge consists in an act of faith, and the supreme criterion of certitude is authority. (fr. Catholic Encyclopedia)

Whatever "authority" the believer wants to accept as true?

Last edited by ancient warrior; 08-30-2012 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-30-2012, 10:57 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
Quote:
Mikelee1981 posted:

>>Ditchlight people are saved by believing the "good news" of the gospel defined as the death, burial, resurrection, and testimony of Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 15) trusting the Lord to save them. The Lord Jesus Christ authenticates the Word of God on a number of occasions. So one believes on the Son of God who authenticates the Old Testament as the divine "Word of God". It is truly good news as Jesus Christ paid the penalty if we only accept it. All we have to do is believe on God's works through Christ trusting him.<<

RESPONSE:

What are "ditchlight people"?

>>The Lord Jesus Christ authenticates the Word of God on a number of occasions.<<

No. It is only claimed that Christ authentices the gospels. That's what the story says.

I'm told that the story of Cinderella says somewhere that Cinderella is a true story. Is that proof that it really is?
Regarding the bold,

Luke 24:27
And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Anyone that would like, could go through the gospels and see for themselves how many times Jesus Christ quotes from the Old Testament.

Here's a link to another great line by line audio discussion of the gospels with good ole Chuck Smith.

Blue Letter Bible - Audio & Video Commentaries - Chuck Smith - Matthew

In talking to the Jews, the Lord says the following..

John 5:39

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

"the Scriptures" is referring to the Old Testament as the New wasn't even compiled at that time.

John 5

For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me.

Psalm 40:6-8

6 Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.

7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,

8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

Psalm 40 verses six through eight are referring to Jesus Christ according to Hebrews 10:7

The volume of the book is written of him.

Isaiah 53

1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?

2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:28 AM

139 posts, read 167,286 times
Quote:
RESPONSE:

Despite the faith of believers, the Bible is only one of a number of "holy books" which most of the world's major religions claim in some fashion to be divinely inspired. Each has its own writings which, in effect, say that theirs is the only 'true' holy book.
The bible is the inspired word of God Almighty. No other book ever written has this assurance, so no other book is qualified to give factual insight in such a way. It is our "Owners Manuel," if you will... Laws and principles that apply today as much as they did yesterday... We never have to doubt the truth of the bible.
(Hebrews 4:12, 13) 12 For the word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul and spirit, and of joints and [their] marrow, and [is] able to discern thoughts and intentions of [the] heart. 13 And there is not a creation that is not manifest to his sight, but all things are naked and openly exposed to the eyes of him with whom we have an accounting.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:40 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara M Wheeler View Post
The bible is the inspired word of God Almighty. No other book ever written has this assurance, so no other book is qualified to give factual insight in such a way. It is our "Owners Manuel," if you will... Laws and principles that apply today as much as they did yesterday... We never have to doubt the truth of the bible.
(Hebrews 4:12, 13) 12 For the word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul and spirit, and of joints and [their] marrow, and [is] able to discern thoughts and intentions of [the] heart. 13 And there is not a creation that is not manifest to his sight, but all things are naked and openly exposed to the eyes of him with whom we have an accounting.
^^^^^The depths of bias and illogic one can engage in is astonishing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity