Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,725,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Oh please, why do you think the very early church spent so much time combatting Gnostic influences? Because they knew the Logos was not understood in the same way the Gnostics used it! So for you to come in and say this opposing ancient Greek understanding should help determine our translation is ridiculous.

Maybe you should actually read May and Metzger's work before just quoting Wikipedia.
RESPONSE:

In case you overlooked it, St. Paul understood the Word (Logos, Demiurge, etc) in the same way as the writers of the gospel we call John's.

Col 1:15 "15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created, things visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or powers—all things have been created through him and for him."(NRSV)

John 1:1-3 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was in the beginning with God. 3All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being."(NRSV)

Jesus was the creator-god, the first born of all creation, who in turn created everything that is.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 09-04-2012 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 09:25 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,543,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
My Brother, Jesus created Heaven and everything else in existence.
What is your point in relation to what I said?

Old 09-04-2012, 10:25 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,460,387 times
OK, bud - so according to you John and Paul were early Gnostics (their statement combatting these people notwithstanding) and the early church misunderstood what they were saying and ended up opposing those who saw the message correctly. Riiight. Stop, you're embarassing yourself.

If you don't see the NT referring to the Logos as different from how Gnostics did, I don't know what to say.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:43 PM

139 posts, read 167,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
^^^^^The depths of bias and illogic one can engage in is astonishing!
You may certainly call it bias if you so choose....
When prophecies are fulfilled and there is clear cut evidence of such facts, I call it truth, and LOGIC!
If you choose to ignore the FACTS, enjoy the bliss!
(2 Corinthians 4:3-6) 3*If, now, the good news we declare is in fact veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing, 4*among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through. 5*For we are preaching, not ourselves, but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as YOUR slaves for Jesus’ sake. 6*For God is he who said: “Let the light shine out of darkness,†and he has shone on our hearts to illuminate [them] with the glorious knowledge of God by the face of Christ.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:08 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,109 times
An individual can read the bible and believe anything they want. It's like reading a book on nuclear fission in that reading it and believing it or not believing it does not make it any less factual.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:02 PM

259 posts, read 366,220 times
Ditchlights your questions are extremely pertinent and great! The Old Testament oddities and
percecution is hard to grasp especially if your a caring and just individual. God as they say works
in mysterious ways lol. if you trace the majority of the aweful events such as the firely furnance,
christians being fed to the lions it's a stark vision of what martyrs wil face in Tribulation facing
beheading by Islamic followers of antichrist. Forget Trib for just a second and just consider the
"faith" lessons we have gleaned from these early sacrificed christians. Easy for me to say ,but
bets have it there reigning in heaven as very happy embodied spirits!!. Look at Jonah in the belly
of the whale (or Sheol?) how could a guy last three days in this acid environment? The answer is he didn't! I agree with perry Stone that Jonah drowned!!! He died and was risen on the 3rd (duh) day!!!!!! ( familiar ring?). The whale (and their are many whales in the Black Sea and Galilee) Death burial and subsequent rising of Jonah a type and shaddow of Christ future?

Old 04-18-2016, 04:38 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,395,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I was raised in a fundamental Christian household. Hellfire and brimstone - Black and White. I was taught from an early age that the Bible is the innerant, infallible Word of God. I was also taught that if you believe any parts of the Bible are not true word for word, in a literal sense, you might as well not even waste your time reading it because you are technically calling God a liar. So, my question is this:

Do you believe that an individual can read the Bible and believe some of the things in it but not others? And if this is the case, are they wasting their time and calling God a liar by doing so?

I bring this question to CD because of a conversation I had with my mother the other day. I told her that I just can't believe many of the stories in the Bible. Most of what I don't believe is in the Old Testament. I'm sorry, but people who get put into fiery furnaces burn up, people who are put into cages with lions get eaten, people who get swallowed by sea creatures don't live in their belly for days on end and survive, and cutting someone's hair off doesn't render them defenseless. The list can go on and on, but there is no need to write it. She says back to me "This is where faith comes into the equation". I guess I lack faith. I tend to lean towards common sense and reason. So, my second question is: Does faith in God and belief in other parts of Biblical scripture hinge entirely on whether or not you believe the whole Bible, literally, word for word?

If this is really true, it has done more to drive me away from Christianity than any other thing.
I am going to assume you were raised Independent Fundamental Baptist.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:10 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
As for the 'cockatrice';

Excerpt:
In 1611, when the KJV was produced, the translators used "cockatrice" in part of their translations from the Hebrew. A cockatrice is a mythical creature that does not exist. It was supposedly a serpent produced from a ****'s egg. So why would they use that word? They did so because they didn't know what the original Hebrew word meant, and not having a sufficient knowledge of biology they used an English word that wasn't appropriate. Today we have a much better understanding of the Hebrew, as well as biology. This is why modern translations use the words "viper" and "adder" and "poisonous snake" to translate the original Hebrew word, "tsepha".
Why does the Bible mention mythical cockatrice? | What is a cockatrice | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

These are issues pertaining to translation.

God can certainly make a donkey talk.
But can't inspire an error free book of Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth, huh?

Thats a red flag for me. Why isn't it for you?

Old 04-18-2016, 05:24 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,877,431 times
Gods word is legalistic and demands obedience of a created man that is generally full of nonesense, baloney and weak philosophical response . God expects we sorry knuckleheads to BELIEVE in the Son
of Man" wait hold on beloved!!! That believing extends into the faith in this word ( every letter, every teaching, every command and every part of the grace of Jesus) . So go boo hoo as the creator of the universe doesn't even need you yet for whatever reason ( I can't imagine within this messed up world of fools) He wants you ( a reciprocal love). It is though not wrong to question verses to debate, study and even disagree with the ?dogmas albeit interpretations of man that has evolved in a convoluted religion much of which is part real truth and real nonesense.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:13 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times
Was that like typing in tongues?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity