Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 03:35 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
According to the Old Testament, there will be a day of Judgement (or day of the LORD depending on the translation). But this doesn't necessarily mean the destruction of humanity as a promise was made to Noah in Genesis that the earth shall never be flooded to destroy humanity which would indicate that humanity will never be completely destroyed again.
As I pointed out, in Zephaniah 1, God says otherwise. Maybe He changed His mind between Zephaniah and now. That's always a possibility, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
As I pointed out, in Zephaniah 1, God says otherwise. Maybe He changed His mind between Zephaniah and now. That's always a possibility, I suppose.
More than likely, though, Zephaniah is just a lot of hyperbole, as Jayhawker Soule pointed out.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:19 PM

910 posts, read 1,337,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Lindsey is goofy with his predictions, along with the hundreds before him and those after him.

But Paul doesn't speak of an economic antichrist. Paul says he is the man of lawlessness .. not the families of the super rich of the modern history.
  • One can't trace them back to 2 Thessalonians 2:7
    • For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work
  • I haven't yet seen where economics itself be:
    • displayed in all kinds of counterfeit miracles, signs and wonders and 2 Thessalonians 2:9
Jesus claims it is only through him can we come to the Father
---- the antichrist then also makes the same claim ( thus the designation "anti christ")
Jesus claims that forgives is through him
---- the antichrist then also makes the same claim ( thus the designation "anti christ")
Jesus claims salvation is through him
Jesus claims that we are save by faith not works
---- the antichrist then makes the opposite claim ( thus the designation "anti christ")

There is only one such "he" that fits the discription ...
the "he" is not a person per say, but an postion that comes from within Christianity.

That position is the papacy for it claims for itself what Jesus does.
The anti-Christ actually includes all man made religions including mordern Christianity. Remember that religion once ruled the world and is still ruling now-to an extent. Having the mark of the beast, means you are in the world. The world loves its own, but the people of God have the sign of God on their foreheads.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:23 PM

910 posts, read 1,337,879 times
Quote:
More than likely, though, Zephaniah is just a lot of hyperbole, as Jayhawker Soule pointed out.
Thrillobyte

Zephaniah is correct, but the destruction will not affect permanently the elects of God. Read 2Peter chap2 to chap 3 for a clear understanding. The world will see a massive holocaust by fire.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
The anti-Christ actually includes all man made religions including mordern Christianity. Remember that religion once ruled the world and is still ruling now-to an extent. Having the mark of the beast, means you are in the world. The world loves its own, but the people of God have the sign of God on their foreheads.
Marlbron, I'll be honest with you. I see absolutely no relationship between today's events and anything in Biblical prophecy. It was when somebody in here--Preterist, I think (he doesn't come around anymore)--turned me on to the concept of preterism that my eyes were opened to the truth that all Biblical prophecy ended with the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD. Nothing remains to be fulfilled.

There's no rapture, no 7-year tribulation, no antichrist, no Armageddon, no Gog war with Russia---all this nonsense was assembled by writers over the last 100 years who had a bent toward the Bible, had a knack for stringing lots of hyperbole together to make colorful apocalyptic phrases, and saw an opportunity to concoct this incredible fanciful scenario of end-time events in order to fleece gullible Christians at the bottom of society's rungs who are desperate to escape the painful realities of their everyday lives---poverty, unhappy relationships, sickness, etc. These poor people use the junk that Lindsey and others peddle as analgesics and tranquilizers to help deaden the pain they endure daily. They're hanging on by their fingernails for the rapture as a way to escape all their unhappiness. I've seen it---hundreds of times in here and on other Christian boards devoted to prophecy----you should read some of the tragic stories: "When will the rapture come?? My life is unbearable. I just want to go home and be with Jesus!!" The stories are heartbreaking.

But eventually they drop off as they get older and realize they've been duped (as I did) but there's always a whole new crop of youngsters who get saved, get indoctrinated into all this nonsense by their church leaders and friends and start the cycle all over again. But, obviously the rapture and 7-year tribulation and antichrist and 7-year treaty with Israel never come---and it never will, and people in here continue to say to me, "Just you wait, Thrillobyte! You'll see! The rapture is coming!" And I just nod my head sorrowfully, "Poor soul".

So proponents have started hedging their bets by saying, "Well, the antichrist isn't a person, it's a system; the 'mark' is not a physical mark, it's a psychological mark" etc. but nothing changes the fact that there have always been wars and rumors of wars, earthquakes, dada, dada. The 70th week was fulfilled with the carrying of the gospel to the gentiles 3 1/2 years after Christ's death. All the rest you read in thousands of prophecy books today are just gross misrepresentations of scripture to make it look like we're going to be raptured tomorrow, or the day after that, or next Rosh Hashana, or next Pentecost---and on and on it goes, while prophecy writers continue to rake in your cash.

Sad, sad sad, making merchandise out of the word of God.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:33 AM

595 posts, read 761,676 times
Quote:
I'm very surprised with all this talk of rapture-tribulation-antichrist nonsense that no one ever mentions Zephaniah. Right in the very first chapter God lays out exactly what He plans to do to mankind in the Day of Judgement:

Pretty serious stuff--no 7-year tribulation, no antichrist, probably no rapture, although pre-tribbers can argue the Lord will deliver the faithful before He utterly wipes all men off the face of the earth suddenly "in the twinking of an eye".

If one really reads this scripture, it pretty well tells what type of people are being destroyed.

The ungodly.

7 Be silent before the Sovereign Lord,
for the day of the Lord is near.
The Lord has prepared a sacrifice;
he has consecrated those he has invited.

Chapter 3
Restoration of Israel’s Remnant

9 “Then I will purify the lips of the peoples,
that all of them may call on the name of the Lord
and serve him shoulder to shoulder.
10 From beyond the rivers of Cush
my worshipers, my scattered people,
will bring me offerings.
11 On that day you, Jerusalem, will not be put to shame
for all the wrongs you have done to me,
because I will remove from you
your arrogant boasters.
Never again will you be haughty
on my holy hill.
12 But I will leave within you
the meek and humble.
The remnant of Israel
will trust in the name of the Lord.
13 They will do no wrong;
they will tell no lies.
A deceitful tongue
will not be found in their mouths.
They will eat and lie down
and no one will make them afraid.”

14 Sing, Daughter Zion;
shout aloud, Israel!
Be glad and rejoice with all your heart,
Daughter Jerusalem!
15 The Lord has taken away your punishment,
he has turned back your enemy.
The Lord, the King of Israel, is with you;
never again will you fear any harm.
16 On that day
they will say to Jerusalem,
“Do not fear, Zion;
do not let your hands hang limp.
17 The Lord your God is with you,
the Mighty Warrior who saves.
He will take great delight in you;
in his love he will no longer rebuke you,
but will rejoice over you with singing.”

18 “I will remove from you
all who mourn over the loss of your appointed festivals,
which is a burden and reproach for you.
19 At that time I will deal
with all who oppressed you.
I will rescue the lame;
I will gather the exiles.
I will give them praise and honor
in every land where they have suffered shame.
20 At that time I will gather you;
at that time I will bring you home.
I will give you honor and praise
among all the peoples of the earth
when I restore your fortunes
before your very eyes,”
says the Lord.
God Bless,
Mercy

Old 09-24-2012, 06:50 PM

Ah! Now that puts it into perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity