Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 12:43 PM

473 posts, read 822,222 times

Advertisements

This is a thread to tell what your church is doing for Jesus Christ.
The church I now attend has what they call the Oasis Care Shelter for women of drug abuse. They are currently building a men's shelter for rehab also. They run the Oasis Cafe and Thrift Store(volunteers run it)to help fund these shelters.(non-profit--no money goes for running Eagle Heights Church.) They also have a soup kitchen and a food pantry.The church has many clubs and ministries. Some of the congregation recently returned from Haiti, where they had offered their professional services--doctors, dentist, preachers and hands on workers. They also have a coffee shop in the church--we drink coffee during services and all proceeds help with various things. They have dreams of some day building a homeless shelter. What's going on in your church?
God Bless You from Kentucky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 01:01 PM

331 posts, read 603,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
This is a thread to tell what your church is doing for Jesus Christ.
The church I now attend has what they call the Oasis Care Shelter for women of drug abuse. They are currently building a men's shelter for rehab also. They run the Oasis Cafe and Thrift Store(volunteers run it)to help fund these shelters.(non-profit--no money goes for running Eagle Heights Church.) They also have a soup kitchen and a food pantry.The church has many clubs and ministries. Some of the congregation recently returned from Haiti, where they had offered their professional services--doctors, dentist, preachers and hands on workers. They also have a coffee shop in the church--we drink coffee during services and all proceeds help with various things. They have dreams of some day building a homeless shelter. What's going on in your church?
God Bless You from Kentucky

^^^^Glad to hear other churches truely having the heart of Christ and loving people! Way to go!!
My church is embarking on our 10 year Anniversary, how exciting!!!!
**In our church we baptize people almost every Sunday....God's love works!!!!
**We have adopted an inner city HS and have repainted the HS, supported their sports teams, taken snacks/lunches to teachers, help to buy/fulfill needed equipment/school needs
**We serve at the homeless shelter 3 sundays every month...preparing and serving the meal as well as worship with the men
**Another rehab shelter we also serve and prepare food, worship and donate to.
**International mission trips to Jamaica, hati, India, etc.
**Love others through mentoring and serving peoople everyday in our own individual lives
**Invest in the lives of those around us and invite them to hear God's truth
**Help single parents throughout the year with a "single moms spa night", and "Christmas in a red bag" to love on and help show single parents God's grace and love(no matter where you are on your journey)
**We also have an amazing Celebrate Recovery(CR) program to overcome hurt, habits and hangups from drug addictions, drinking problems, eating disorders, addictions of all sorts
**Divorce Care(helps those dealing with the hurts that come when addected by divorce)
**Our youth groups also do a lot of services around the city.
**We encourage people to "come as you are" (not always in Sundays best wear), and allow God to work!!
**Love God, Love People, Make disciples!!!!!!
Want more information check out www.highpointmemphis.com

Old 09-20-2012, 01:50 PM

473 posts, read 822,222 times
Hello Memphis,
My son used to rodeo near Memphis. Glad to hear of other churches serving full force. I hear that a lot of schools need food donations so that they can send food home with some children who don't get to eat on the weekends due to different addictions, etc. People can check with their local schools to see if they have a program where they accept donations.
Yeshua Bless You

Old 09-28-2012, 10:28 AM

102 posts, read 143,481 times
Not to nitpick, but...to brag on your Church (or anything else) is NOT Christian, just saying.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:50 AM

419 posts, read 435,202 times
I pastor a little country church. We have maybe 30 people on a good day. I'm not living in town full-time yet (we just accepted an offer on our house today!)...but we expect to move in a month.

I'm expecting we'll have a food pantry. I will also just have to see what is needed in the area.

I'm also planning on reaching out to the State Patrol to be a volunteer chaplain.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:02 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralMissionary View Post

I'm also planning on reaching out to the State Patrol to be a volunteer chaplain.
Good for you. I hope you do. You could be a blessing in a lot of people's lives.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:37 PM

428 posts, read 330,886 times
Hello Memphis!!!

I used to live down the river from you in Helena, Arkansas. Before that I lived in Yazoo City, Mississippi. I used to have some dealings with a radio station in Memphis. WCRV. Maybe you have heard of it. I also used to come to Memphis on Saturday's to meet up with my Ham radio friends. I almost moved to Memphis but ended up not taking the job with WCRV.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:48 PM

428 posts, read 330,886 times
Our church is host to about 100 kid's on Wednesday night's. We feed them and break them down into study groups. These are the dirty kids that most church's don't want because they might get the padded pew's dirty. I drive one of the bus routes for that. I am also a Chaplin in a truck stop ministry in a local truck stop. We hold services there on Sunday mornings before our regular church service. We have a food pantry and help with clothing once a week. We also help provide school supplies for area kid's. We have a lot of elderly folks so we do a lot of work with them. We fix roof's, paint houses, cut grass, change oil in car's, deliver groceries, fix plumbing and whatever else they may need.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:54 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBeano View Post
Not to nitpick, but...to brag on your Church (or anything else) is NOT Christian, just saying.
Bragging or Boasting may be the wrong words to use...And people are not saying that their church is better than the church over there..... BUT in Philippians 2: 11....says ...``And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father``.... .... See We should give our testimony of Jesus Christ , and His Works will be to the Glory of God the Father ``..... So as we do the work of the Lord Jesus we must give a witness and testimony to others through our tongue or talking , which is promoted by Holy Spirit and gives God the Glory .......

Old 09-29-2012, 05:08 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralMissionary View Post
I pastor a little country church. We have maybe 30 people on a good day. I'm not living in town full-time yet (we just accepted an offer on our house today!)...but we expect to move in a month.

I'm expecting we'll have a food pantry. I will also just have to see what is needed in the area.

I think that's wonderful. Not all Church's need to have a Sarbucks, a rehab center, and a gym on campus.
I am sure that those 30 souls are blessed by your preaching!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity