Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:29 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,735,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
RESPONSE:

I'm Catholic but seem to encounter a number of bible fundmentalists who want to convert me. I frequently encounter them at bus terminals while waiting for a bus.

I find that they usually seem to use the same opening line. They ask me if I went to church on Sunday.

I think I've come up with a good answer. I say "No, infidel! I go to the mosque on Fridays."

(Of course, if I happen run into a muslim, I'm in trouble!)

Last edited by june 7th; 10-01-2012 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 09:49 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,172,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

I'm Catholic but seem to encounter a number of bible fundmentalists who want to convert me. I frequently encounter them at bus terminals while waiting for a bus.

I find that they usually seem to use the same opening line. They ask me if I went to church on Sunday.

I think I've come up with a good answer. I say "No, infidel! I go to the mosque on Fridays."

(Of course, if I happen run into a muslim, I'm in trouble!)
Don't worry about that. Us Muslims are not much into worrying about who does not go to the Masjid. there can be many reason a person is not able to. the important thing is if they say their obligatory prayers, even if they say them alone.

You really don't have to worry about the Haram police.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:54 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,299,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I strongly dislike pushy people - in real estate/auto sales, in religious matters, in political matters, in affairs of the heart, etc.

I have run into a possible total of 10 people in my life who very quite obnoxious in trying to get me to attend their non-denominational church, in that it is "relational" () whereas Catholicism isn't. It was mostly "you've GOT to come to our church" or here's something you need to read. (On one occasion, a charismatic speak-in-tongues Catholic, tried to get me to go to their service. I went twice. It was not my bag).

Why do these people keep harping? Do they think that mere assertiveness will convert you? Do they also push on Lutherans and Anglicans? I would assume their success rate is low.
As a non-denominational Christian, I'll say I don't think there is a single denomination out there that interprets everything in the Bible accurately. In reality there is only one interpretation of the Bible that is correct and that is why we must search it out and listen for the Holy Spirit to speak to us as to what is right and what is not. The Catholic church has a lot right, but like all other Christian denominations some false teachings and heresies have been allowed to creep in. The same goes for the fundamentalist church, especially the Independent Fundamental Baptist denomination. This is why its important to study the Bible for yourself and let God speak rather than going by what a preacher/pastor/priest tells you it says.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:54 AM

24,162 posts, read 32,686,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I strongly dislike pushy people - in real estate/auto sales, in religious matters, in political matters, in affairs of the heart, etc.

I have run into a possible total of 10 people in my life who very quite obnoxious in trying to get me to attend their non-denominational church, in that it is "relational" () whereas Catholicism isn't. It was mostly "you've GOT to come to our church" or here's something you need to read. (On one occasion, a charismatic speak-in-tongues Catholic, tried to get me to go to their service. I went twice. It was not my bag).

Why do these people keep harping? Do they think that mere assertiveness will convert you? Do they also push on Lutherans and Anglicans? I would assume their success rate is low.
Yes! I am a Lutheran and they do the same. They don't think any of us are Christians. They treat all sacerdotal churches the same. (churches that have sacraments and adhere to the ancient creeds)

They only began about 100 years ago, don't need to be go to seminary in order to be ordained and we are off base?

They don't only have wrath for Roman Catholics, Lutherans, Episcopalians, (Anglicans). There is more.

Pat Robertson the Right Wing televangelist said that "Catholics, Episcopals, Methodists, Lutherans, and Presbyterians will have a surprise when they try to enter heaven".

What a loving Guy.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:28 AM

9,704 posts, read 10,077,696 times
I use to go to a Fellowship Evangelical were all the leaders were former Catholics , and they all were bitter about their growing up in Catholic Church and most would preach against the Catholic faith and ridicule these people ....I had to leave the church because the ridicule became outrageous for me as the truth was misplaced in their heart .... Jesus spirit allowed me to leave and some dark spirits left me alone after I left..... Now I go to a Non denominational Church were the Pastor is a former Catholic but takes the lead from Jesus spirit and resist the ridicule of antichrist spirit which brings strife against the Catholic faith..... See Jesus is with the Catholics attendants , so if you reject these people you reject Jesus in these people ....from Matthew 18: 5..Jesus said about His children ..`And who so will receive one such little child in my name receives me``

Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 AM

24,162 posts, read 32,686,216 times
The thing is that if Catholics are happy with Catholicism, why do they need to be preached to or converted?

Old 09-30-2012, 06:09 AM

50,115 posts, read 20,872,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Can only speak for myself. At one point in my life I was a very Fundamentalist Evangelist. I really did believe that I could get people to convert if I was persistant enough. The more rejections I got the stronger I became in my preaching. It convinced me I must be on the right road as Satan was trying so hard to stop me.

The success rate among converting Catholics and Mainstream Protestants is very low, which I believe is the reason they now seem to be concentrating on non-Christians.

Just my opinion
You may be right. I suspect that the type of born - only -once atheist who has no knowledge of or interest in religion is a blank canvas, so to speak, and is easy meat for the cunningly -crafted evangelical packages and can more easily be converted than someone who has already built up a firm body of belief off which rival faith claims will bounce. That's why it is our job to indoctrinate these people with the science - religion of Darwin...sorry, I'll read that again; it is our job to equip them with the sound information which will enable them to avoid being fooled into faith.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:39 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,735,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The thing is that if Catholics are happy with Catholicism, why do they need to be preached to or converted?
RESPONSE:

They don't. And it probably isn't going to work anyway. There are a vast number of Catholics (but Muslims now outnumber them).

The vast majority of Catholics, although they don't use the term to describe themselves, are "cultural Catholics." This means that they are Catholic very rarely from intellectual conviction, but instead because their families have been Catholic for generations. It's part of the family culture.

While their Protestant brothers may insist that their faith in Bible based, Catholic believe that the truth comes from God to their church, and is dispensed to them by their clergy.

The technical term is their church's "Magisterium" or teaching authority which trups the bible and tradition.

As one priest wrote:

"By the Magisterium we mean the teaching office of the Church. It consists of the Pope and Bishops. Christ promised to protect the teaching of the Church : "He who hears you, hears me; he who rejects your rejects me, he who rejects me, rejects Him who sent me" (Luke 10. 16)."

" Now of course the promise of Christ cannot fail: hence when the Church presents some doctrine as definitive or final, it comes under this protection, it cannot be in error; in other words, it is infallible."

Old 09-30-2012, 08:04 AM

7,864 posts, read 10,349,454 times
never found anglicans ( episcopalians in america ) or lutherans and methodists to be overbearing

different story with presbyterians or especially free presbyterians , incredibly self righteous and pontificating bunch

Old 09-30-2012, 10:52 AM

14,724 posts, read 33,455,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This isn't the issue at all. The issue is that some people who we come across DECIDE it is their duty to tell us otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity