Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is God Eternal
Yes 27 93.10%
No 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 07:17 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times

Advertisements

Do Christians have the promise of Eternal life thru Jesus?

Seems like a no-brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 07:42 PM

33,246 posts, read 26,463,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Seems like a no-brainer.
Yes. Of course God is eternal. Just as God's infinity as related to space is His immensity (the heavens cannot contain God), His infinity as related to time is His eternality. God has always existed and will always exist.

And yes, you have eternal life (and eternal security) the very moment you place your faith in Christ Jesus for the forgiveness of sins.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Yes. Of course God is eternal. Just as God's infinity as related to space is His immensity (the heavens cannot contain God), His infinity as related to time is His eternality. God has always existed and will always exist.

And yes, you have eternal life (and eternal security) the very moment you place your faith in Christ Jesus for the forgiveness of sins.
Yep. Says as much in many places in the NT.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:57 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:

what he said.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:40 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Eternal without beginning or end.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:54 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:

Where in Greek texts and Hebrew texts does it say God is eternal and that He is infinite and we have eternal life if we place our faith in Christ Jesus?

Old 02-08-2013, 09:59 PM

33,246 posts, read 26,463,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Where in Greek texts and Hebrew texts does it say God is eternal and that He is infinite and we have eternal life if we place our faith in Christ Jesus?
God's eternality is His infinity relative to time. Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal (aidios) power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. God's power and divine nature (His essence) is eternal -aidios. Therefore God is eternal.

God's infinity as related to space is His immensity which refers to the fact that God is everywhere present beyond His creation and is expressed in 2 Chronicles 6:18 "But will God indeed dwell with mankind on the earth? Behold, heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain You; how much less this house which I have built. The Theological term 'immensity' is from the Latin immensus which means immeasurable.

And because God is immense - the whole of God is everywhere infinitely beyond His creation, God encompasses everything, but nothing encompasses God, He is therefore also omnipresent. That is, God is also everywhere within His creation. This is addressed by Jeremiah 23:23-24 "Am I a God who is near," declares the LORD, "And not a God far off? "Can a man hide himself in hiding places So I do not see him?" declares the LORD. "Do I not fill the heavens and the earth?" declares the LORD.

God's omnipresence however does not imply Pantheism, for God is not His creation.

Immanence refers to God's omnipresence while Transcendence refers to God's immensity. God is both Immanent and Transcendent. He is everywhere present within His creation and everywhere present outside of that which He has created.

Jesus Christ is God and is eternal life. The believer has the same life which is in Jesus Christ. 1 John 5:11-13 And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

Acts 16:31 They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."

Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
God's eternality is His infinity relative to time. Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal (aidios) power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. God's power and divine nature (His essence) is eternal -aidios. Therefore God is eternal.

God's infinity as related to space is His immensity which refers to the fact that God is everywhere present beyond His creation and is expressed in 2 Chronicles 6:18 "But will God indeed dwell with mankind on the earth? Behold, heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain You; how much less this house which I have built. The Theological term 'immensity' is from the Latin immensus which means immeasurable.

And because God is immense - the whole of God is everywhere infinitely beyond His creation, God encompasses everything, but nothing encompasses God, He is therefore also omnipresent. That is, God is also everywhere within His creation. This is addressed by Jeremiah 23:23-24 "Am I a God who is near," declares the LORD, "And not a God far off? "Can a man hide himself in hiding places So I do not see him?" declares the LORD. "Do I not fill the heavens and the earth?" declares the LORD.

God's omnipresence however does not imply Pantheism, for God is not His creation.

Immanence refers to God's omnipresence while Transcendence refers to God's immensity. God is both Immanent and Transcendent. He is everywhere present within His creation and everywhere present outside of that which He has created.

Jesus Christ is God and is eternal life. The believer has the same life which is in Jesus Christ. 1 John 5:11-13 And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

Acts 16:31 They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."
Good for starters. Too bad that some do not accept these simple truths What puzzles me is that those who believe that all will be saved in the end don't accept these simple truths. Why I ask? I ask...can the UR folk give an answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Old 02-09-2013, 04:25 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:

So let's think this through. God is bigger than any being in the universe and therefore He, because He is bigger is older.
Therefore a man who weighs over 500 pounds and can't get out of bed without four people helping him is much older than a little pigmy in the wilds of Borneo.

It is a lapse in logic to suppose that largeness of any being is equivalent to their age, in this case God being eternal.

None of the verse you brought up prove God is eternal. We just take it for granted He is since He gives immortality to believers.
John did not speak English in 1 John 5:11-13 and therefore never used the word "eternal" nor any word in his mother tongue even remotely close to our word "eternal."

Old 02-09-2013, 06:04 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,132,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Seems like a no-brainer.
Jesus actually promised eonian life, which is defined as knowing God (John 17:3).

Believers are promised eonian life - they will know God and His love - they will follow His commands to love God and love one another. (Read all of 1 John)
They will also receive immortality - which means to not die. This will happen when all are changed. (1 Cor 15).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity