Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
The church of Christ is a spiritual entity. It is not a building. It is made up of Christians.

Christians are those who obey the gospel of Jesus Christ.

What do you mean by "obey the gospel"?
Quote:
Here are some reasons why I am a member of the church of Christ.

Reason #1

Christ built one church, His church (Matthew 16:18)

The church of Christ has no earthly head. It has no Pope, no President, no archbishop.

The church of Christ has no headquarters.

The church of Christ has no creed other than what is written in God's word.
Sounds like a creed. What happens if I disagree with you about a teaching in God's word?
Quote:
The kingdom, (the church of Christ) is not of this world. It is a heavenly kingdom (John 18:36)

Its head, Jesus, resides there at God's right hand (Acts 2:32-33).

Reason #2

I chose to become a member of the church of Christ because...

It strives to be like the church of the Bible in every aspect of its existence. I don't doubt that the church in the New Testament is the ideal for which we should all strive for.
How is that different from other churches?
Quote:
Reason #3

I am a member of the church of Christ because each congregation is independent and free standing under Christ, the head of the church (Ephesians 1:22-23)

Each congregation chooses its own local leadership (elders) who supervise its activities according to Scripture. No one outside of the congregation has any say in its business or conduct.
Which is why Paul, Peter, James, and John wrote letters to churches telling them how to do church?
Quote:
Reason #4

I am a member of the church of Christ because it teaches men and women that they must obey Christ if they hope to be saved (Hebrews 5;9)
The Bible doesn't claim that. Hebrews 5:9 simply states that those that are saved obey...but it doesn't say that we obey in order to be saved.
Quote:
I am a member of the church of Christ because it teaches that we must do the will of the Father in heaven (Matthew 7:21)
What is the will of the Father in Heaven? It's to believe in Christ. That's it. (John 6:40)
Quote:
Reason #5

I am a member of the church of Christ because it teaches sinners to believe in Jesus the Son of God (John 3:16)

I am a member of the church of Christ because it teaches that by the sacrificial death of Jesus on the cross, saving grace is extended to all who are submissive to Him (Ephesians 2:8-9)

I am a member of the church of Christ because it teaches that sinners are to be born again of water and Spirit (John 3:5) by being baptized into Christ (Galatians 3:26-27)
Every good Bible-teaching church teaches that. But we don't teach baptism is necessary for salvation, as the C of C teaches.
Quote:
I will post more reasons as time permits.

May the grace of God be with you,

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Quote:
But you see Blue, it's not THEIR place. The church belongs to Jesus. We're not in charge of His church, and it really doesn't matter what we think it ought to be.

God draws us to Him. How? Through His word. We hear. We get faith. That's where we go to learn from Him, His word. The Holy Spirit spoke through the prophets and apostles. His words are our standard of authority. Anything else is not from Him.

44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me (John 6:44-45)

I didn't start this thread to be controversial. Everyone will stand before the judgement seat and give an account.

Blessings,

Katie
I wasn't being controversal. Very sorry you took it that way, Katie. I said I am pleased that you have found your blessed assurance. And we agree that only Jesus reads hearts.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:19 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Reason #5

I am a member of the church of Christ because it teaches sinners to believe in Jesus the Son of God (John 3:16)

I am a member of the church of Christ because it teaches that by the sacrificial death of Jesus on the cross, saving grace is extended to all who are submissive to Him (Ephesians 2:8-9)

I am a member of the church of Christ because it teaches that sinners are to be born again of water and Spirit (John 3:5) by being baptized into Christ (Galatians 3:26-27)
Really - only this is necessary.

Believe the gospel of Christ - His death, burial, and resurrection - receive the Holy Spirit which joins us to the body of Christ - and that's it. You are a member of the body of Christ.

Everything else is extra. Just my two cents.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
I have never heard the explanation as to why the Church of Christ tells its members that only those who belong to a Church of Christ will be saved. I don't get it? Those who are truly believers cannot be known for sure. Only God can read people's hearts. So why can't someone who belongs to a Baptist or Methodist church have genuine saving faith in Christ and be saved? How can you know if there are members of a Church of Christ are really just there for the social life and are actually trusting in their own good works to be saved?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The Bible doesn't claim that. Hebrews 5:9 simply states that those that are saved obey...but it doesn't say that we obey in order to be saved.

Every good Bible-teaching church teaches that. But we don't teach baptism is necessary for salvation, as the C of C teaches.
But Jesus does....
Mark 16:16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Matthew 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

[1] Mark 16:16 .... necessary for salvation but not absolutely necessary

[2] Matthew 28:19 .... is how disciples are made. Jesus didn't say "go make disciples through decision theology."

Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times
Many years ago, my ex father in law gave me a book called "Why I am a member of the church of christ" I read through it, and try as I might, could not agree with much of it. years later, I think I can say that my beliefs are probably opposite of about everything in that book.

I did attend the church with the ex's family, was even considered a "member" although non-consensually by them. After multiple bad experiences, I walked away and never looked back. I can say based on my observations and what I have studied both formally and informally, the movement definatly fills a niche but is rarely healthy or postivie for anyone involved. I encountered abusive people, dysfunctional families, deceptive recruiting, and an elitist/narcissistic attitude, including that common "us vs the world" mentality.

The "las straw" came when I received an unsolicited phone call from someone claiming to be an "elder" or "deacon" (I cnanot remember which, telling me he had "heard that I was attending a Christmas Mass" and wanted to tell me that I was not to go. When I told him I was going anyway and he should mind his own business, the conversation got pretty ugly.
Some Christians sure have foul mouths, but when hypocrisy is the rule and fear is the governor, then negativity would abound. and flourish.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:50 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I have never heard the explanation as to why the Church of Christ tells its members that only those who belong to a Church of Christ will be saved. I don't get it? Those who are truly believers cannot be known for sure. Only God can read people's hearts. So why can't someone who belongs to a Baptist or Methodist church have genuine saving faith in Christ and be saved? How can you know if there are members of a Church of Christ are really just there for the social life and are actually trusting in their own good works to be saved?
They are not just the only ones who put out that claim as you know. Everybody pretty much knows that JW's, LDS, RCC also does. I think that the common thread among them is law focused.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 AM

987 posts, read 1,119,368 times
Very strange indeed. I was an 'official baptized' member and attended a Church of Christ for years. Attended years of services, Bible studies and Sunday Bible Schools, Wednesday evening services, home Bible studies and NEVER once heard that only those people in OUR church (cough, cough) or who believed exactly the same things we did were the only ones saved.

I no longer attend there, disagree with many of their doctrines, as I do with many orthodox Christian doctrines, so I have nothing to gain and am not defending them per se. Perhaps certain member might feel that way and certainly they would teach in Bible studies that theirs was the correct way to understand scripture, etc, but I just never got the idea that 'we' were the only saved 'Christians' I regularly attended 4 churches and visited many others. Even after moving to Arizona from Ohio and finding that the CoC's here that I have seen all refrain from using musical instruments in their churches, the services I attended with my son and his family never proclaimed this either.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:18 PM

14,886 posts, read 17,167,331 times
ScarletWren, I did not know that you use to be a member of the COC. I was one also for about 15 years and I will say that it was an important part in my life because it was from being involved in the Bible studies, that I became more interested in learning the scriptures. There were some very good times of fellowship and developing relationships, but there were also things that were troubling such the teaching in the congregations that I attended that did communicate that we were the only ones that were truly saved. The emphasis was on evangelizing to reach others in other churches who did not "have the truth", so I spent many hours door knocking and inviting students to Bible studies. The intentions were good but I don't believe this now. I am thankful that I did go through this experience and I know that those members that I use to be close would be very saddened to know that I am no longer a member of the church. I would go back to visit because I feel that I could visit any place of worship but I would not be a member of the congregations. There were no musical instruments in the congregations that I attended and baptism was essential to salvation, according to their understanding and teaching. God bless and peace.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:47 PM

987 posts, read 1,119,368 times
That is odd. I just never heard we were the only ones with truth. I did hear that baptism was necessary, they were big on that. However, since they didn't baptise infants, they trusted that age of accountability thing for those who died young without baptism, yet they never did make an absolute age. Our church also encouraged and had days where we were to knock on doors and invite but we were never specifcally told to try and get members of other churches to listen to our truth, not that recall anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity