Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:36 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times

Advertisements

Do you ever feel like you are too influenced by people's persuasive words, by their eloquence of speech? I do. Not that kaykay is going to completely go "off the deep end" and just believe or act in some way contrary to faith because someone says something, but... Sometimes I think I am just too easily influenced by other's (particularly within the body of Christ's opinions.)

Now understand: I have some very deeply held convictions. I imagine that maybe some of you guys could tell that by my posts here on CD. Yet... I still think I have a tendency to be too easily influenced... especially by the opinion of other Christians. I know --hard to believe about the "opinionated Miss kaykay" but yeah, it's true... Obviously, there are some things that will never be swayed or shaken in my belief system... but there are too many that can be especially by a fellow Christian.

An example of this, yesterday at church someone spoke (not our pastor and said some things that are still affecting me today...(negatively!) Don't necessarily agree with him but they still hit their mark in me. In a day or 2 I'll probably "recover" but for now, it's affecting me and badly. How can I stop that? Not that we don't need to remain "teachable." Obviously, we do, but like many things -it's a balance. Maybe I'm not making a lot of sense. Sometimes it's hard to explain in just a post, but can anyone else relate to this--being too easily influenced? My dh isn't like this...at all! Why am I?

Actually, I think it is this tendency that can allow false teachers to get an inroad with some people. So it can be even be a dangerous thing to be too easily influenced. (I don't think I 'm that bad about it but ... I'm somewhere on the continuum.) Any thoughts...?

Last edited by kaykay; 10-22-2007 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 10:53 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Ah, Kaykay, if we could ever reach the point where we could willow out the wheat from the chaff, we would be OK, wouldn't we!!!

Ministers are just like everyone else. They have feet of clay. They are also influenced by what they have heard. And their teachers also made errors. This is why it is sooooo important to think for ourselves. We have to use the intellect that we were blessed with. It's a waste, if we don't.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

Ministers are just like everyone else. They have feet of clay. They are also influenced by what they have heard. And their teachers also made errors. This is why it is sooooo important to think for ourselves. We have to use the intellect that we were blessed with. It's a waste, if we don't.
I know. You are absolutely right. What you said above is something I have to remind myself about. Intellectually, I know this, but I just haven't mangaged to integrate it in my heart and spirit yet! I'm not really a gullible person, because I will discern what's said and eventually come back to what I really believe to be the truth on an issue, but as I said, it still makes an inroad for awhile.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:05 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,706 times
There are many things that want to influence us.. but if we have our first love on God and the truth, we won't give in, will we? I believe you do love God in this way, kaykay, and that is why you recognize something as false and don't allow it to affect your walk.. As soon as our first love is not set on God, we open ourselves to all sorts of deception. It's not something we can intellectually figure out, but we love God and follow His leading, even if the Truth hurts.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:43 AM

443 posts, read 1,541,381 times
I've sat through church services of about 6 or 7 different faiths... heard the psalms, the sermons, the speeches. It all seems so empty and pointless to me. I can see how some people might be moved, but it just strikes me as overtly emotionally manipulative, and doesn't rope me in at all.
Some of them were interesting, especially the arabic recitation of the quaran, but nothing changed how I felt about anything.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:51 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,143 times
Kaykay, I don't think I have to tell you about my own struggle with being "gullible" and susceptible to the words, ideas and "teachings" of other Christians. It's been evident in many of the posts I've made here at C-D. I suppose that's why I flat-out refuse to listen to much that any Christians say anymore. I know what God has shown me. I know what He has told me. I believe God accepts me as I am - even as a gay man. I do NOT believe it is deception. It doesn't matter to me what other people say, because God has told me to stop listening to other people. When I do that, the peace I get is greater than any peace I've experienced by trying to weed through the multitude of voices and opinions of those in various churches, with all their conflicting interpretations.

If you're sensitive to what others say, I can only tell you to stop listening to them. Their voice is but one of a multitude of voices, each being influenced by the voices of others.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Kaykay, I don't think I have to tell you about my own struggle with being "gullible" and susceptible to the words, ideas and "teachings" of other Christians. It's been evident in many of the posts I've made here at C-D. I suppose that's why I flat-out refuse to listen to much that any Christians say anymore. I know what God has shown me. I know what He has told me. I believe God accepts me as I am - even as a gay man. I do NOT believe it is deception. It doesn't matter to me what other people say, because God has told me to stop listening to other people. When I do that, the peace I get is greater than any peace I've experienced by trying to weed through the multitude of voices and opinions of those in various churches, with all their conflicting interpretations.

If you're sensitive to what others say, I can only tell you to stop listening to them. Their voice is but one of a multitude of voices, each being influenced by the voices of others.
I hear you. But yet I do want to be influenced by the Bible and I think you should too. (Kaykay holds up her hands in position of surrender. That's all I gonna say.)

Old 10-22-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I hear you. But yet I do want to be influenced by the Bible and I think you should too. (Kaykay holds up her hands in position of surrender. That's all I gonna say.)
Who says I'm not influenced by the Bible?

Old 10-22-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Who says I'm not influenced by the Bible?
Well, I'm not sure just where your thinking is at these days, Rob.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, I'm not sure just where your thinking is at these days, Rob.
Regarding.......??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity