Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,504,786 times

Advertisements

well its sort of on a downward curve. first it was ok to badmouth them and even mouth off to them. then it was ok to beat them up and take their money.
death sentence is a bit harsh but i think we need to take a look at how we treat our parents.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:23 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,400,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How would you translate the verse in Exodus?

There is a difference between killing (by authority, or military) and unlawful murdering.

Die the death, which is just another way of saying their days would not be prolonged.

And where do you see that in scripture?

Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 AM

33,316 posts, read 26,524,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Matthew 15:4 in the Greek transliteration.

Ho gar theos eipen tima ton patera kai tén metera kai ho kakologón patera é metera thanató teleutató

For God commanded honor the father and the mother and he who speaks evil of father or mother in death must die.

thanató - 'in death' or 'by death'

teleutató - 'must die' or 'let him die'

See here >>> Matthew 15:4 Biblos Interlinear Bible

And here >>> Matthew 15:4 Bible Lexicon

And here >>> Matthew 15:4 For God said, 'Honor your father and mother' and 'Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.'

And by the way, 'must be put to death' - teleutató is in the Present Imperative Active. It's a command.

The New Greek English Interlinear New Testament UBS 4th edition, Nestle-Aland 26th edition translates it the last part of Matthew 15:4 as 'by death let him die'.

I will not go into the proper translation of Deut. 5:17 as it is not the topic.

Your answer to my question then is 'well, it's just a poor translation'. An excuse to avoid facing the truth.
I originally posted this in post #80, and some people are still claiming 'poor translations' in an attempt to deny that Matthew 15: 4 says what it says. But the Greek is clear.

After the flood, God instituted the death penalty for murder as stated in Genesis 9:6.

Genesis 9:6 "Whoever sheds man's blood, By man his blood shall be shed, For in the image of God He made man.

Under the Mosaic Law, the penalty of capital punishment was imposed on a number of offenses.

Many people simply refuse to believe what the Bible says.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Die the death, which is just another way of saying their days would not be prolonged.

And where do you see that in scripture?
I see it in Exodus 21:17 'And he who is reviling his father or his mother is certainly put to death (YLT)

Leviticus 20:9 'If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death. He has cursed his father or his mother, and his blood will be on his own head.

It means they should be put to death. That was God's law, and Jesus confirmed it.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:44 AM

307 posts, read 285,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Elijah called fire down from heaven, Jesus told 2 of his disciples they did not know what spirit they were of, for thinking such a thing. Are you saying it was justifiable to do such a thing in Elijah's day but not in Jesus' day ?.

You will never understand scripture if like the 2 disciples you lean on your own understanding .
I said nothing about Elijah or Jesus or his disciples. I answered the OP's question about what God said and can I accept it.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 02-23-2013 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: Rude comments are deleted.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:47 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I am fully aware what the topic is, and you are fully aware of the questions I'm asking you that you refrain from answering.

And I want to limit the topic of this thread to what Jesus said in Matthew 15:3-6 with reference to Exodus 20:12, 21:17 and Leviticus 20:9 . I am not asking about any other passages mentioned in the Old Testament. Please simply answer what I have asked.

Did God (who is love) command that those who speak evil of father or mother be put to death? Jesus said that He did. Can you accept that?.

This ^^^ is the OP topic. I answered Mikey with a no. I also have given the reason why I said, and put to you and him questions of my own concerning the OP topic which like I have stated you are refraining from answering, because you know what I am asking you will either reveal what is really in your heart or you will have to acknowledge your understanding of scripture is in error, not the scripture itself. So quit your silly games trying to make out I have not answered the OP or even off topic.
I answered the question in page 2 or 3. God gave that command, not me. The thread is not about me, or other posters on the board.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,338,128 times
Quote:
I answered the question in page 2 or 3. God gave that command, not me. The thread is not about me, or other posters on the board.
I know you said that, but that is not what I asked YOU concerning the topic of the OP. .

Old 02-21-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I originally posted this in post #80, and some people are still claiming 'poor translations' in an attempt to deny that Matthew 15: 4 says what it says. But the Greek is clear.

After the flood, God instituted the death penalty for murder as stated in Genesis 9:6.

Genesis 9:6 "Whoever sheds man's blood, By man his blood shall be shed, For in the image of God He made man.

Under the Mosaic Law, the penalty of capital punishment was imposed on a number of offenses.

Many people simply refuse to believe what the Bible says.
First you tell me not to go outside your OP scripture and because I did to show you your error you refused to answer me. Now you go outside the OP scripture.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 02-23-2013 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: To much potential to flame.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I see it in Exodus 21:17 'And he who is reviling his father or his mother is certainly put to death (YLT)

Leviticus 20:9 'If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death. He has cursed his father or his mother, and his blood will be on his own head.

It means they should be put to death. That was God's law, and Jesus confirmed it.
it means that their day would not be prolonged Finn, it does not mean we are to kill our children because they say something bad about us.

and I was asking you for a scripture that says murder is different if done in a military fashion.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:58 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,338,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by July 8th View Post
I said nothing about Elijah or Jesus or his disciples. I answered the OP's question about what God said and can I accept it.

Moderator cut: Orphaned
Moderator cut: Orphaned reference

So Ham it up,did Jesus deny scripture by telling James and John they knew not what spirit they were of for thinking(yes just thinking) of having fire called down from heaven upon those who did not receive Jesus' message ?.

Last edited by june 7th; 02-23-2013 at 11:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity