Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:06 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,338,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
What did Christ do regarding the "law"? Do you know why he came?
He did not come to save you from hell, if this is what you believe, you still haven't heard or understood the good news.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I stated in the original post that the topic of this thread is only what Jesus said in Matthew 15:4. Anything else is off topic.
In other words Any question which you have no answer for is off topic.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 AM

33,316 posts, read 26,524,660 times
I am interested to see how many of you 'God is love' people will answer the question of the original post. I want to see how many of you will deny that under the Mosaic Law God said that those who speak evil of father or mother were to be put to death despite the fact that Jesus said that He did. It is a simple and straight forward question which deserves a simple and straight forward answer. It does not require childish outbursts, insults, or name calling. Please simply answer the question.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I am interested to see how many of you 'God is love' people will answer the question of the original post. I want to see how many of you will deny that under the Mosaic Law God said that those who speak evil of father or mother were to be put to death despite the fact that Jesus said that He did. It is a simple and straight forward question which deserves a simple and straight forward answer. It does not require childish outbursts, insults, or name calling. Please simply answer the question.
If you want folk to answer your questions you should be willing to answer questions yourself.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 AM

Mike555 and Foxy would either of you be shocked or think it just if your neighbor stoned to death one of their kids for speaking evil of them ?. Your answer hopefully would be that you would be shocked and that it was not just for your neighbor to have done such a thing.

Now same question would you be as shocked if stoning your kids to death for speaking evil of you was the law today, whether that be a secular law or the law of Moses was in place ?.

Of cause you would, but you won't admit it, put down your rocks and repent.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 AM

33,316 posts, read 26,524,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
If you want folk to answer your questions you should be willing to answer questions yourself.
Your question was answered in post #18, second sentence.

Again, you have answered my question and that is all that I wanted from you. Let others answer.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:31 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,798,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Give us chance Goliath I have only just seen it/got up.

If a man is found sleeping with another man's wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die. You must purge the evil from Israel. Deut 22:22

"If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her

Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"

"No one, sir," she said. "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

So Jesus said that adulterers are exempt, but wicked disrespectful children and homosexuals are not?

I wonder what other of the 600 some dictates contain points which should be questioned.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
So Jesus said that adulterers are exempt, but wicked disrespectful children and homosexuals are not?

I wonder what other of the 600 some dictates contain points which should be questioned.
No I came nowhere close to saying this. The truth of the matter is, if you think it was right to stone folk to death back then, you do today as well.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:41 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,798,892 times
Quote:
The penalties under the Mosaic Law were quite literal. With the coming of Jesus a change in dispensations was about to occur and the Mosiac Law would no longer be in effect. You have given your answer that you do not believe that God gave the command that those who speak evil of father or mother were to be put to death even though Jesus said that He did.
I wonder what Marcion would have said about you. To refresh, Marcion believed that the Old Testament was to be discarded, and that the New Testament was the law going forward. Why? Because he recognized that it was impossible to reconcile the God of the OT with the God of Jesus and the NT.

Marcion was condemned as a heretic by the mainstream Christian Church at the time. But his point was clear and he had a following who were martyred alongside mainstream Christians.

The biggest frustration folks like me suffer is that there are those modern Christians who continue to pick and choose from hither and yon among the bible those words and phrases which suit them, however inconsistent they are.

Jesus exempted adulterers but still permits the stoning of homosexuals and children who backtalk their parents? How convenient for everyone!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times
Quote:
I posted the above in post #263 of another thread Can you be a Christian and NOT believe the Bible? and addressed it to a specifc person who has not replied to it. Therefore, I will ask any of you who claim that the Old Testament misrepresents God, to answer it.

Jesus said with regard to the Mosaic Law which Israel was under that God commanded that those who speak evil of father or mother were to be put to death (capital punishment).

Do you believe Jesus?

If you say that you believe Jesus then you have to accept that under the Mosaic Law (which the Church is not under) God, who is love but who is also just and righteous commanded the death penalty for those who dishonored their parents.

If you say that you don't believe Jesus ...

And I want to limit the topic of this thread to what Jesus said in Matthew 15:3-6 with reference to Exodus 20:12, 21:17 and Leviticus 20:9 . I am not asking about any other passages mentioned in the Old Testament. Please simply answer what I have asked.

Did God (who is love) command that those who speak evil of father or mother be put to death? Jesus said that He did. Can you accept that?
Yes, He said it in order to point out the Pharisees were hypocrites for not following the law of honoring your parents, but instead they had created traditions of making offereings and gifts to God. The 'love- god' crowd seem to be taking the side of the Pharisees with this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity