Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 05:23 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,857 times

Advertisements

And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

Matthew 19:16

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

John 5:24

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Matthew 25:41

And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Matthew 25:46

Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.

Luke 18:30

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 3:36

Believe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 05:29 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Cake or Death ?

Eddie Izzard-Cake or Death - YouTube

Old 03-01-2013, 06:52 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Your question: "Which do you chose? everlasting/eternal life or everlasting/eternal damnation?"

is a false question based on some false premises:
  1. No one chooses in the absolute sense life or damnation.
  2. No one in the Bible ever said anything about everlasting/eternal life.
  3. No one in the Bible ever said anything about everlasting/eternal damnation.
  4. "everlasting" is not a synonym of "eternal."
  5. Only in an improperly translated per-Version is aionion translated "everlasting" or "eternal".
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-02-2013 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 03-01-2013, 11:13 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Default Which do you chose? everlasting/eternal life or everlasting/eternal damnation?

What an absolutely ridiculous question. Other than the insane . . . there isn't a human being on earth who would consider this an actual choice. It has always puzzled me how sane rational people could claim that people have to make such a choice . . . as if there actually was a choice to make. It is the same nonsense about choice when it comes to God and Christ. Far too many people actually THINK that what we truly believe (NOT say we believe or accept intellectually) . . . is a CHOICE! It is NOT. We cannot CHOOSE to believe anything other than what we truly believe, period. It is a preposterous idea. Take something you truly believe and TRY to choose not to believe it or try to believe its opposite.True beliefs are NOT choices . . . they just ARE. We can choose to ACCEPT many things intellectually . . . but we can NOT choose what we truly believe. God has no interest in intellectual acceptance. He is concerned with what we believe in our innermost heart as revealed by our "love of God and each other" daily and repenting when we don't.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:16 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What an absolutely ridiculous question. Other than the insane . . . there isn't a human being on earth who would consider this an actual choice. It has always puzzled me how sane rational people could claim that people have to make such a choice . . . as if there actually was a choice to make. It is the same nonsense about choice when it comes to God and Christ. Far too many people actually THINK that what we truly believe (NOT say we believe or accept intellectually) . . . is a CHOICE! It is NOT. We cannot CHOOSE to believe anything other than what we truly believe, period. It is a preposterous idea. Take something you truly believe and TRY to choose not to believe it or try to believe its opposite.True beliefs are NOT choices . . . they just ARE. We can choose to ACCEPT many things intellectually . . . but we can NOT choose what we truly believe. God has no interest in intellectual acceptance. He is concerned with what we believe in our innermost heart as revealed by our "love of God and each other" daily and repenting when we don't.
This is well said, Mystic. I have known many people who simply could not believe. It wasn't a choice - they just didn't believe - period. We know that there were times in history past wherein some people might make a confession of belief in order to keep certain churches from burning them at the stake - but who wouldn't agree and confess (regardless of what was the truth in their inmost heart) in order to save his/her life. If someone were threatening to burn me alive if I did not confess to believe in Zeus, Buddha, or the Easter Bunny, I'm sure I would quickly confess whatever I was forced to in order to appease my crazed captor. Duh!

Old 03-02-2013, 04:44 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,884 times
Matt 16:25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

John 12:42 Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him , lest they should be put out of the synagogue:
43 For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

Now that is well said!

Old 03-02-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Matt 16:25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

John 12:42 Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him , lest they should be put out of the synagogue:
43 For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

Now that is well said!
"losing one's life" is not the same as being "eternally tortured." You can't be tortured if you are dead.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:12 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,857 times
Quote:
46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me. 47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

John 5

Now we all know you don't believe Moses because you chose not to. How will you believe Jesus Christ?

You can ramble along all you want to but a child can understand what it means to believe.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:28 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
Now we all know you don't believe Moses because you chose not to. How will you believe Jesus Christ?
You ignore that we are told there is a veil of ignorance (blind minds) over the reading of Moses that can only be lifted by Christ and His Spirit. What do you think that means . . . if not reading with the "mind of Christ" leading us to the truth God has "written in our hearts?"
Quote:
You can ramble along all you want to but a child can understand what it means to believe.
Try to choose NOT to believe something you TRULY believe, Follower . . . let me know how that works out for you.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me. 47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

John 5

Let's not forget that no one can believe unless God gives them the faith first, so it all depends upon God, not us.

Why did those Jews not believe in Jesus? Because God, in Isaish's day closed their eyes and ears. Jesus reiterated that in Matthew 13:10-16 and the apostle Paul reiterated that in Acts 28:25-27. So there is no free-will choice any of them could make. It all depended upon God lifting this blindness and deafness from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity