Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:13 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by arguy1973
Quote:
the bible doesnt say that though..
IIRC Jesus himself said this.
Something about not bringing peace but the sword.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 08:15 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by arguy1973 IIRC Jesus himself said this.
I could pick up any written work..pull out a verse and make it out of context..trust me

Old 10-26-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 IIRC Jesus himself said this.
forgive me if Im wrong...but I think you are speaking of the verse in which Jesus is speaking about himself bringing divisions among families?? and this is true..look at the Islamic guy that was almost killed by his own country men for converting to Christianity

Old 10-26-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I could pick up any written work..pull out a verse and make it out of context..trust me
I have no doubt of that.
But how do you know it is the Holy Spirit or your own interpretation?
How do you know which is which?

Old 10-26-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973I have no doubt of that.
But how do you know it is the Holy Spirit or your own interpretation?
How do you know which is which?
Most..but not all Christians believe pretty much the same thing..Jesus..son of God..crucified..for our sins and was raised again by God on the third day..
For one..Ive been in church for at least 28 years, sat under probably 30 different preachers/teachers..I have the Strongs concordance. There are verses that I dont understand sometimes, usually I will look it up if I dont understand it..or ask a pastor. So you see..Its not Arguys interpretation..We have references available. and I believe as I look thru these references Im guided by the holy spirit for a deeper understanding..its like WOW..the light came on ..now I get it. And the references I use arent denominational..

Old 10-26-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
and I beleive as I look thru these references Im guided by the holy spirit for a deeper understanding..its like WOW..the light came on ..now I get it.
I know what inspiration is, but I also know where my inspiration comes from.
Being inspired means literally being in the spirit.

So let me try to explain what I mean:
A forger who can only forge known Picasso paintings is nothing more than a copy machine. But there are master-forgers who can make a painting in Picasso's style so perfectly that authorities have often mistaken these forgeries for a genuine 'unknown' Picasso.
Unlike the copy machine forger who is only able to copy an existing Picasso, the master-forger has more than the basic skills of a copy machine forger. He is also able to be truly inspired by Picasso, but the master-forger doesn't view himself as being Picasso.
If we apply this to scripture, inspiration and the Holy Spirit, you could say that you are inspired by scripture when it concerns getting insight from the scripture on other parts of the scripture itself ( which doesn't have to do anything with the Holy Spirit, just common sense).
While being inspired by the Holy Spirit is getting insight from the scripture concerning matters outside scripture (ie reality; the real world).

So my question still remains, how do you know that you are inspired by scripture, the Holy Spirit or your own interpretation (=common sense)?

Old 10-26-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973I know what inspiration is, but I also know where my inspiration comes from.
Being inspired means literally being in the spirit.

So let me try to explain what I mean:
A forger who can only forge known Picasso paintings is nothing more than a copy machine. But there are master-forgers who can make a painting in Picasso's style so perfectly that authorities have often mistaken these forgeries for a genuine 'unknown' Picasso.
Unlike the copy machine forger who is only able to copy an existing Picasso, the master-forger must be inspired by Picasso. But the master-forger doesn't view himself as being Picasso himself.
If we apply this to scripture, inspiration and the Holy Spirit, you could say that you are inspired by scripture when it concerns getting insight from the scripture on other parts of the scripture itself ( which doesn't have to do anything with the Holy Spirit, just common sense).
While being inspired by the Holy Spirit is getting insight from the scripture concerning matters outside scripture (ie reality; the real world).

So my question still remains, how do you know that you are inspired by scripture, the Holy Spirit or your own interpretation (=common sense)?
I think my own interpretation comes from the Holy Spirit, and he leads me thru the scriputure, and therefore its not ARGUYS interpretation anymore, and when Im led by the Holy Spirit, that interpretation will line up with other believers interpretation.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:06 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
Quote:
There's the scripture itself. There's the application of reason through learning about the idioms that were common 2000 years ago but that aren't common today, and through the holistic study of the Bible. There are the traditions that the church has held on to since it's earliest days, such as the sacraments of the Eucharist and the doctrine of the resurrection and the redemption of man through Christ

There's the understanding that any human will never have the capacity to fully understand the Bible and God's message, so he or she will have to rely on our 2000-year-old communal quest for Truth. And the understanding that the Holy Spirit works through the church, which is the Body of Christ in the world. Deference to the ancient traditions of the church is, by definitionn, deference to the Body of Christ.

And, bottom line - if your interpretation glorifies you or glorifies wealth or glorifies anything other than God, then you are on the wrong path

Old 10-26-2007, 09:11 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
No one actually follows the bible literally. It is so open to interpretations. People who say they follow it literally, are just following it to their own; or their church's interpretation.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:11 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
...For one..Ive been in church for at least 28 years, sat under probably 30 different preachers/teachers..I have the Strongs concordance. There are verses that I dont understand sometimes, usually I will look it up if I dont understand it..or ask a pastor. So you see..Its not Arguys interpretation..We have references available. and I believe as I look thru these references Im guided by the holy spirit for a deeper understanding..its like WOW..the light came on ..now I get it. And the references I use arent denominational..
Ahh, but to play devil's advocate, how do we know that the references and interpretations that we read are correct? Whose truth are we reading? After all, these are written by other humans, who have their own agendas, their own doctrine, their own take on things, etc. And, even if the references are not written from a particular denominational standpoint, they are still influenced by whatever denomination the author happens to be. That's why we have so many denominatons, because Christians can't agree on the color of new carpet for the sanctuary, nevermind Biblical doctrine. Yes, one can say that one is being lead by the Holy Spirit, but once you read something, you are influenced by it, regardless. Ultimately, I believe we agree with those who agree with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity