Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 04:01 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That did not keep ONE person from changing position and forcing the other to become divorced. (I don't know how you can say they were happy together and had babies. Neither has any impact on whether one person was forced to become divorced.)
Uh huh. In both instances the person told me they had a happy marriage for some time and had kids.

But hey....call it whatever you want so you can justify the position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 04:37 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyeccentric View Post
My mother needlessly suffered due to the churches incorrect and ignorant stand on divorce. See could not receive the so-called sacraments must of which are in error scripturally including the Eucharist. She sat in back crying at every service .
These bureaucratic pagans manufactured so many doctines and that fact "wasted my mothers energy on matters that in
the first place was blasphemous and victimizing" My father was an alcoholic and an adulterous and according to scripture
acceptable for divorce . She never remarried until he died as well. Not that it matters one bit she was granted a dispensation from the diocese regarding her divorce
God HATES divorce and we are taught that after leaving and cleaving you are ONE. In no sense is divorce ever encouraged.

Yes, it's sad that your mother had to go through what she did, but the fact is the Church teaches that if your parents had a sacramental marriage, they are still married in the eyes of the Church. A civil divorce doesn't nullify that, and in reality a divorce doesn't bar one from accepting the Eucharist. It's when you remarry outside of the Church and do not receive an annulment where you cannot take the Eucharist, because you are committing adultery. It was wrong for your mother to be denied the Eucharist due to the divorce. It would have been acceptable for her to legally separate and not remarry until your dad passed (which sounds to me is what happened).

Really, the Church is full of "bureaucratic pagans"? Explain to me how abiding by what others would see as a strict view on marriage is somehow inferior considering the teachings regarding divorce and remarriage in Scripture, and then let's compare that to the dearth of evidence regarding the state of marriage and divorce with Christians compared to other religions.

And even if your mom did try to file for an annulment, your dad could have appealed it because an annulment means neither your mom or your dad consented to their marriage and knew what they were doing. This has been done before, and the Vatican is noticing a very startling trend of annulments from the US where people are citing evidence that was not present before the marriage or at the time of marriage.

I can contend that awful things happen in marriage and bad things happen to good people. Spouses make promises and then break them but that in itself is not a reason to try to heal a marriage. I do feel sorry for all the people whose spouses make them suffer in whatever way it happens (I am experiencing something myself), but the fact is the Church has its view on marriage and remarriage for real reasons.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:45 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,530 times
first of all,i am a catechist and the op's view towards the children of divorced parents is appalling to me---could their neg behavior towards you be a response to how you treat them

secondly,i am divorced,and getting an annulment is long and time consuming(but my ex sil got one in a parish that finacially benefitted them to speed up hers)

my thoughts are that the rc church needs to require lenghty counseling before couples marry--this would have prevented myself and others from entering into a sacrament with someone who had NO intention of honoring their vows from the beginning

Old 05-17-2013, 11:19 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Too often the Catholic Church gets attacked because of their strong anti divorce views and I agree with them. While I do think there are limited reasons to divorce, like infidelity and abuse most of the excuses I hear are bizarre and disrespectful. This is especially true when it comes to kids.

However the church does give annulments and most are for reasons like pressured into it, one partner changes their mind about kids, etc. From what I understand from talking to my priest most annulments the church grants were short lived no kid marriages and these I have no problems with. When comes to kids I firmly believe kids deserve to have a mom and dad who are married if possible. I teach religious education at church and my troublemakers were all children of divorce. I find it hypocritical that these parents want their kids to be religious though they are divorced (though to be fair I don't know why why are divorced and maybe it was justified).

Incidentally divorced people can receive the sacrament of communion as long as they don't remarry. They can not remarry without an annulment or they can not receive it as I understand.

Huh, as the mom of school aged kids I can tell you there are all sorts of troublemakers that come from two parent families.

Why is it hypocritical to want to continue your faith tradition?

Old 05-17-2013, 11:22 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
For most of the people that I know, the following statement applies: It takes two people to decide to get married; it only takes one to decide you are getting divorced.

You have no way of knowing if the single parent taking those kids to church was the "victim" of an unwanted divorce that was sought by the other partner in that marriage. With the information you describe, you have no right to criticize that parent. You aren't walking in his shoes.

Chances are about 50-50 that you will end up divorced some day. It may not be your fault, but you'll still end up divorced.

Great, often overlooked point.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:35 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,151 times
In the case of the molester I completely agree about getting a divorce. In fact I would get a divorce if my husband was abusive or cheated or was a molester. I am thinking though of those who get bored or divorce for stupid reasons. When you have kids I firmly believe you just need to suck it up until they are grown. Most of the issues anyway fade as you get older.

I do know the difference between civil and church weddings. I know for example in cases like courthouse weddings there are different steps to deal versus having married in church. I don't know if they even need annulments in many cases because it isn't a church wedding.

I do know you can receive the communion if you are divorced as long as you didn't remarry.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:34 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,543 times
can you post scriptures on“annulments”? , because from what I've read from Jehovah God'swords, and Jesus. One can't get a marriage void, or cancel.That might be how it goes in the eyes of the law. Or many religionsbelieve they can cause this to happen, it doesn't make it JehovahGods word. It can also cause one their life believing it's of God,(Pro. 16:25 There is a way thatseemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death). Jesus showed what'll happen if the divorced isn't adultery based,(Matt. 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife,except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committethadultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery).

Jesusshowed that ANY who divorced for reasons other than adultery, (though I've also heard some sayone can divorce if their life is in danger). And remarried, will bean ADULTERER, OR dress. The same with the one who was let go ,(Matt.5:31,32 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let himgive her a writing of divorcement. But I say unto you, That whosoevershall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causethher to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that isdivorced committeth adultery). See also (1 Cor. 7:10,11 Andunto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wifedepart from her husband. But and if she depart, let her remainunmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husbandput away his wife).

Nowif a christian has a non- christians spouse who wants to stay withhim/her. We must not divorce them ,we could end up helping them to besaved ,(Cor. 7:12-14 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If anybrother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwellwith him, let him not put her away. And the woman which hath anhusband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her,let her not leave him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified bythe wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: elsewere your children unclean; but now are they holy).

If a non-believer wants to leave the believer, (divorced), meaning theyfile, the believer will be free to remarry. So that's untrue that abelieve CAN'T remarry, The unbeliever made the believer free fromthat marriage ,(1 Cor. 7:15 But if the unbelieving depart, let himdepart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: butGod hath called us to peace). There's a reason why Jehovah God'swords shows us NOT to marry an unbeliever. We will be unequally yoked,(2Cor. 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: forwhat fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and whatcommunion hath light with darkness)?

Keepin mind ,satan HATES anything that has to do with Jehovah God andJesus. Because it was Jesus, YES JESUS, who is also Michael, thoughmany refuse to believe ,(Dan.12:1 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince whichstandeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time oftrouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that sametime: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one thatshall be found written in the book). As we can see, NO other Angel iscall the “Great Prince", ONLY Jesus. So to finish...Jesus and Angelskicked satan and his weak-butt followers out of Heaven. And it wasthrough the order of his Father Jehovah God. AND!... since satanhates God, he ALSO hates marriages.

it would be satan who has fool many with trickery ,(Ephe.6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to standagainst the wiles, (tricks) of the devil), into believing the false teachings of annulments, and that it's OK withJehovah God and Jesus, it's NOT! Even though Jesus or any otherservants of Jehovah God NOT teach this. Satan uses his MANY ministersto do so. Fooling people into believing it's of ...Jesus or god,(2Cor.11:13-15). peace

Old 05-18-2013, 07:53 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
What do you care about divorced people and their children anyway? You won't marry someone who has been married before or has a child so it is really none of YOUR CONCERN how other's choose to live their lives.

You cannot pick and choose the parts of the Catholic Religion that you like and obey, it does not quite work that way. Annulment is available for a reason and there ARE exceptions depending on the entire circumstance of each individual situation.

Just because there are two parents in the home does NOT mean it is the BEST way and it is YOUR OPINION that ALL the troublemakers are children of DIVORCED parents it does not mean it is the TRUTH.

As far as Communion goes I've been married twice before and was married in the Catholic Church one of those times and did not have our Marriage annulled after the divorce and I take Communion. I'll discuss that issue with God when I get there because there is NO HUMAN that can forgive me for any alleged transgressions the way God can.

I'm curious what Religious Education you teach at the Catholic Church, the only thing I am aware of are RCIA classes that are for those who want to convert to Catholicism or for children who do not attend Catholic School.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:01 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,151 times
I teach religious ed for children and most of them are well behaved. The ones who tend to act up I found out where children of divorce.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:12 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I teach religious ed for children and most of them are well behaved. The ones who tend to act up I found out where children of divorce.
i have taught rel ed for 20 years and that is so not true----those kids that had paragons of the church(and were at mass all the time)were no slouches at acting out--esp. if they thought their parents were church v.i.p.s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity