Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 05:47 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times

Advertisements

As a previous Christian, prayer always baffled me, for many of the reasons stated here. I always heard people praying for healing, a good job, a new lawn mower, new neighbors, etc... Because of the tri-omni attributes of the god I believed in, it made no sense at all. Though I don't believe there is anyone to hear your prayer, now as an atheist, I do respect those who pray silently and despise it when I see those continuous posts from my Christian friends asking for prayer, like there is some threshold of a number of prayers for their god to grant their wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 02:41 PM

910 posts, read 1,338,590 times
Request prayers are not good as they may intact be grievous to the Holy spirit. Just simply thank for whatever you want and if it is according to his will he will do it.is

Old 07-14-2013, 02:55 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
As a previous Christian, prayer always baffled me, for many of the reasons stated here. I always heard people praying for healing, a good job, a new lawn mower, new neighbors, etc... Because of the tri-omni attributes of the god I believed in, it made no sense at all. Though I don't believe there is anyone to hear your prayer, now as an atheist, I do respect those who pray silently and despise it when I see those continuous posts from my Christian friends asking for prayer, like there is some threshold of a number of prayers for their god to grant their wishes.

Look at it as a form of meditation. It is helpful even if no one hears.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:49 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,823 times
I Pray all the time just talking with my Heavenly Father,only one I trust.

brushrunner

Old 07-15-2013, 08:34 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,786,324 times
Jesus told the disciples to pray always so they would not have to undergo the trials of the end times.

That would be a good reason but prayer is not asking in the way people think. As Jesus said "Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be given you as well."

They were speaking of food and clothing if I remember correctly and Jesus was tellingly them not to worry that God would provide if they seek the Lord. Seeking the Lord and His righteousness is for the holy and the righteous, it is they whom the Lord hears as scripture says;" The Lord hears the prayer of the righteous."

"The righteous man's mouth speaks wisdom and his tongue does what is right"

Old 07-15-2013, 08:50 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
While God is all knowing, God does change his mind. Hezekiah was told he would soon die, prayed to God to live and God granted his request and Hezekiah lived an additional 17 years, if my memory is correct. Moses was hesitant to go to Egypt and complained about his lack of verbal skills, so God gave him his brother Aaron as a spokesman. So you see, God does sometimes change events at the request of his people. Think of all the requests made of Jesus, and how many times Jesus said yes. So, pray for your needs, but always "not my will, but thy will be done."

Old 07-23-2013, 04:02 PM

505 posts, read 575,147 times
Prayer is (or more correctly has) supernatural power!!
It connects our physical world to the spiritual world and opens up the windows and doors of heaven for us.
It provides a conduit and a channel for us to receive from the creator of the universe:
communication
answers
guidance
power
authority
blessings and annointings.

That's a WHOLE LOT for a few worlds spoken in unwavering faith!

Old 07-23-2013, 04:10 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
To give

Old 07-23-2013, 04:20 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Default What is the purpose of prayer?

Its purpose is to attune our consciousness to God's in love. It is to benefit us spiritually . . . NOT materially.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:32 PM

505 posts, read 575,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Its purpose is to attune our consciousness to God's in love. It is to benefit us spiritually . . . NOT materially.
Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in every way and [that your body] may keep well, even as [I know] your soul keeps well and prospers.3 John 1:1-3

Oh ye of little understanding!

God most definitely wants us to prosper materially! He want us to prosper:
1. spiritually
2. emotionally
3. physically
4. mentally and
5. materially

The creator wants us to prosper so that we can SHARE what we have with those who don't have! You can bless another beggar with the gospel if you are one two, but he will look at you and wonder why you are in the same boat he is! On the other hand, if you take him in, feed him, clothe him and give him a job in your factory he is more apt to take you seriously. Get with the program dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity