Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 12:38 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I live in a no soliciting neighborhood, its posted clearly with the city ordinance. If you break the rules, then don't be offended by my NOT opening the door to you.
That's fine - I was merely asking.

I have had any number of religious groups come to my door: JW/Mormons etc -

I simply, and politely tell them no, but wish them well -

I compliment these groups for trying to spread their message -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 04:21 PM

128 posts, read 409,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
You're funny. And you COMPLETELY missed the point.

Let me spell it out for you.

What I am saying is that I assure you that you hold this non-biblical, non God-directed organization -Did not Jesus say that people would know his true followers by the fruits they produced? I dont recall the WTS ever encouraging killing others in wars, indulging in paganism and the world and its politics, or the pursuit of wealth. But I do recall 99% of the leaders of Christendom doing the same thing.-to much more esteem than I hold Christmas. So, if you'll toss the WTS, I'll toss Christmas. Deal? And I'm serious....
I believe you need to check your grammer in "spelling it our for me". I have never, NOT ONCE, said, 'the WTS said,' or 'the governing body said,' but rather, 'the BIBLE says'. I believe the Bible says, "The utterance of Jehovah," not "the utternace of the governing body of the WTS." And if you think the New World Translation is some kind of evil version of the Bible, then read it in your own, it says the same things. It amazes me how many people think we are worshipping the WTS. Everything I, and every other JW say, is from the Bible. We quote the Scriptures, as opposed to almost everyone and their brother saying, 'gee, this is what I think and feel, forget what the Bible says in black and white, the way I do things is good for me.'

Old 12-17-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
You ARE forcing yourself on people by coming to their homes uninvited. Its wrong, its impolite AND its pushy.

My property, my rules. I don't even open the door to this kind of person.
Then I suppose Jesus and the prophets were terrible because they were uninvited by the people as well. You said, "its wrong" that we do this. Then I guess God and Christ were wrong in commanding us to "go and make diciples in all the nations," by going from "house to house" and 'city to city' like Jesus and the Apostles did. I must disagree with your calling it pushy, for like I said, if the person says 'I'm not interested,' than we simply leave. We dont threaten to send parts of their cat to them in the mail if they dont start a study. lol.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I compliment these groups for trying to spread their message -
Thank you. And we appreciate that.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:26 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post
I believe you need to check your grammer in "spelling it our for me".
My grammar (that's an 'ar' though since you're getting technical) was fine. Once again, my only point was that I promise you that you hold the WTS to a greater esteem than I do the day of Christmas. I'll happily give up my Christmas, if you'll give up your WTS...are you or are you not willing?

Quote:
I have never, NOT ONCE, said, 'the WTS said,' or 'the governing body said,' but rather, 'the BIBLE says'. I believe the Bible says, "The utterance of Jehovah," not "the utterance of the governing body of the WTS." And if you think the New World Translation is some kind of evil version of the Bible, then read it in your own, it says the same things.
Really? So you'll accept verses out of my KJV, NASB, and NIV? Excellent!!! Shall we start a JW thread where you will confirm time and again verses out of these other bibles that you claim 'say the same thing'?

Quote:
It amazes me how many people think we are worshipping the WTS. Everything I, and every other JW say, is from the Bible. We quote the Scriptures, as opposed to almost everyone and their brother saying, 'gee, this is what I think and feel, forget what the Bible says in black and white, the way I do things is good for me.'[/color][/b]
OK. Please show me in black in white the verses in the bible that overturn the ones I gave you previous for my reasons for celebrating Christmas.

Quote:
Some scripture that the discerning may be able to apply:
If some unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience. But if anyone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, both for the sake of the man who told you and for conscience' sake— the other man's conscience, I mean, not yours. For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience? If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for?

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved. I Cor 10:27-33
This ain't rocket science people.

God's looking at our hearts.

All of our hearts. And if Jesus is in your on Christmas morning, that's all that matters. With or without trees and presents.....
Show me where there's scripture that nullifies this statement that "Why should I be denounced for something I thank God for?" I thank God for Jesus on Christmas morning, AdrianR, why are you denouncing me?

Old 12-17-2007, 06:37 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Quote:
I don't open the door to people I don't know. I yell out and if I recognize their voice then I will open the door, otherwise NO.
If Jesus comes to your door then you will know him because he said his sheep know his voice...

Old 12-17-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
My grammar (that's an 'ar' though since you're getting technical) was fine. ...yes...Once again, my only point was that I promise you that you hold the WTS to a greater esteem than I do the day of Christmas. I'll happily give up my Christmas, if you'll give up your WTS...are you or are you not willing? No, I'm sorry, no deal. I dont worship the WTS, and therefore, wont toss the truth. However, if your willing to give up something pagan on the basis of an action by another, well....

Really? So you'll accept verses out of my KJV, NASB, and NIV? Excellent!!! Shall we start a JW thread where you will confirm time and again verses out of these other bibles that you claim 'say the same thing'?
You mean like the KJV, (and most others) version of John 1:1, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

Lets compare to the original ancient manuscripts, "In a beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and a god was the word." (Emphatic Diaglott, 1942)

Lets see how the NWT compares to the original translation, "In the beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the word was a god."

-And by the" same thing," I did not mean the same word for exact word. I meant the meaning of the Scriptures are the same.-
OK. Please show me in black in white the verses in the bible that overturn the ones I gave you previous for my reasons for celebrating Christmas.

If you are referring to the fact that you celebrate Chrsitmas to show love to others, I already have posted Scriptures about white-washing pagan holidays and injecting them with you own fellings despite what God says.

Show me where there's scripture that nullifies this statement that "Why should I be denounced for something I thank God for?" How about Isaiah 1:11-16. Where God is denouncing Israels celebration and thanksgiving to God because they have mixed true and false worship.

"Of what benefit to me is the multitude of your sacrifices?" says Jehovah. "I have had enough of whole burnt offerings of rams and the fat of well-fed animals; and in the blood of young bulls and male lambs and he-goats I have taken no delight. When you people keep coming in to see my face, who is it that has required this from your hand, to trample my courtyards? Stop bringing in any more valueless grain offerings. Incense—it is something detestable to me. New moon and sabbath, the calling of a convention—I cannot put up with the [use of] uncanny power along with the solemn assembly. Your new moons and your festal seasons my soul has hated. To me they have become a burden; I have become tired of bearing [them]. And when you spread out your palms, [an act of prayer and thanksgiving] I hide my eyes from you. Even though you make many prayers, I am not listening; with bloodshed your very hands have become filled. Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean; remove the badness of your dealings from in front of my eyes; cease to do bad." ,

AdrianR, why are you denouncing me? I am not denouncing you. God is the judge. I simply show that God makes it very clear when it comes to mixing true and false worship.
I am through with this endless discussion. My points have already been made many times in this thread. I am not going to waist more time re-explaining the same points over and over again.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:36 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
No, I'm sorry, no deal. I dont worship the WTS, and therefore, wont toss the truth.
And I don't worship Christmas. I worship God...God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

3 in 1.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:46 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
If Jesus comes to your door then you will know him because he said his sheep know his voice...
Well I don't know Jesus so I wouldn't be opening the door. He is not on my list..

I am an atheist so I am not one of his sheep

Old 12-17-2007, 09:29 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANA MANIA View Post
...but The People Advocating This And Damning Those Who Celebrate The Holiday Are So Indoctrinated To Their Religion That No Scripture Or "reasoning" Can Make Them Budge....
As one who does not observe Christmas, this thread embarrasses me. People who claim not to observe Christmas in the name of the L-rd, then act so bitter, angry, and ugly certainly have a different lord than the One with whom I am familiar.

I apologize for the ugliness you have read here. I am So Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANA MANIA
Religion gives 3 major things to people:
1. Comfort about their place in the universe.
2. Guidance through life's journey.
3. An excuse to act like a moron and pound things when they don't go your way.
No kidding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce
I am hearing so much legalism on this forum. It saddens me....I just want to remind all of us who are familiar with the Bible, Jesus made it real clear that what he hates above all else is our pride/arrogance and hypocrisy.
Amein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity