Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:49 AM

3 posts, read 13,320 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm a christian in a relationship with a nonbeliever. What is the best way to help him believe in Christ? If you were in my shoes, how would you help your partner? Often I feel like I am not strong enough to help my partner when I cannot even keep up my own relationship with God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 02:14 AM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
You can't force anyone, nor help them believe. Perhaps he/she may be trying to think of a way to make you join him/her in disbelief...Why not just come to an agreement to respect each others choice?

Old 06-28-2010, 02:16 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,901 times
Oooh I think you have set yourself up for failure. It's very difficult for a believer and a non-believer to be compatible. Impossible actually and that's why the Bible warns against such relationships. There may not be too many problems right now but think about down the road if you were to marry and have children...is he going to have a problem with you teaching your children about God? Do you want to be in a relationship with someone who WOULDN'T want you to teach your children about God?

There is nothing you can do to help him become a believer...that has to be done by God and the Holy Spirit. You can certainly set an example through your belief but is he going to weaken your belief or strengthen it? Just some things to think about....I'm not much into sugar-coating.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:55 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,623 times
I don't understand why a believer would marry an unbeliever. That my husband was a believer in Jesus Christ was very important to me even back 27 years ago when I would have called myself a nominal Christian. I think this is because I have known the call of God from my early childhood - I just always knew I could not enter a marriage with an unbeliever. Sorry that I don't have anything more helpful to say.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:56 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,831,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow83 View Post
Hello. I'm a christian in a relationship with a nonbeliever. What is the best way to help him believe in Christ? If you were in my shoes, how would you help your partner? Often I feel like I am not strong enough to help my partner when I cannot even keep up my own relationship with God.
It's not up to you to convert your partner. If the time is right God will do that...not you. The credit is God's...the glory is God's.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:01 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
If you want that relationship to last don't try to convert your partner and ask your partner not to deconvert you. I've been into apologetics debate for years and I can tell you that the unbelievers have the soundest arguments.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:40 AM

78 posts, read 107,385 times
Meow83:

i think the first thing to remember is that it is not up to you or anyone to "decide", it is all Gods' work in His time frame.
Here are a few verses that support that train of thought:

Joh 6:65 - And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

Joh 6:44 - No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

1Co 12:3 -Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

It's all up to Him

personally, i have seen a lot of broken hearts in family and friends situations such as yours, longshots in the dark usually miss the mark

Old 06-28-2010, 06:53 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,944,800 times
Quote:
Quit wasting your time trying to get someone to believe like you, either move on, or find the spiritual side of a person and you will find they believe more than you think.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:01 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Pray for him, and ask others to pray for him too.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:19 AM

159 posts, read 174,923 times
Quote:
Pray for him, and ask others to pray for him too.
How's that going to help? I thought that accepting Jesus (or any other requirement for going to heaven) is purely a matter of free will, otherwise you can't say person is responsible for going to Hell. It can't be both ways, either other people can influence your eternal destiny or they cant. If they can, the argument "it's their own fault for going to hell" doesn't hold water.

If you can influence someone's eternal destiny then we also have legion of absurd situations. One I am often talking about would be someone killing you (before you got yourself born again) and you going to hell, he repenting on death row and going to heaven. This situation is clearly unjust by everyones standards.

Now one always say "God is sovereign so he can do whatever he wants" (Fundamentalist Muslims and everyone else are saying the same thing about their God, too), and it might even be true. But the problem is that such a deity is hardly reliable, because "whatever he wants" might include lying to people so they think that they are saved. God has to be just in some comprehensible way to be reliable, otherwise we all might be on a path to nowhere for all everyone knows.

Last edited by python87; 06-28-2010 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity