Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 03:18 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times

Advertisements

Colossians 2: 11-23
In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcison of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespassses, having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it. So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ. Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, and not holding fast to the Head, from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God. Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations- "Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle," which all concern things which perish with the using-according to the commandments and doctrines of men? These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humitlity, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

...Ohhhh...sooo Liberating!!!...Love

...if then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of
God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

...do these things....and then you will be in unity!...AMEN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 03:28 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I'm not attempting to do anything. I asked for scripture showing they were married. Based on your response the best I can see that you can do is infer they were married..

So there was a marriage ceremony and everything.. with God presiding... with of course a reading from 1 Corinthians 13:4. I wonder what the grooms cake looked like. man I bet the crab cakes were good.. YOU KNOW THOSE CRAB CAKES WERE GOOD!

brilliant.
YES THEY WERE! in in fact here is Adam's wedding vows
(Genesis 2:23-24)
23 The man said,
“This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called ‘woman,’
for she was taken out of man.”

Old 01-21-2009, 03:34 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
YES THEY WERE! in in fact here is Adam's wedding vows
(Genesis 2:23-24)
23 The man said,
“This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called ‘woman,’
for she was taken out of man.”
I gotta tell ya...

If I had dared to recite that vow,

my wife would have punched me in the jaw, before all the brides maids body tackled me.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakback View Post
i gotta tell ya...

If i had dared to recite that vow,

My wife would have punched me in the jaw, before all the brides maids body tackled me.
lol :d

Old 01-21-2009, 04:32 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,836,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
These verses have put some interesting questions in my mind;

If this story of Adam an Eve is perhaps a instructive metephor for us today, then the questions arise;

When did adam and eve leave?
Was their presence in the garden evidence of "leaving" the Father?
Was it not until they were thrown out of the garden, that they "left"?
Was marriage necessary in the garden?
If not, is marriage a restoritive process?
If you are talking about leaving their parents, they had no parents other than their God whom they were not supposed to leave but did so when they disobeyed.

You are confusing earthly parents, which is the reference Jesus speaks of, with spiritual Father.

Marriage is the ideal realationship between man and woman and as Jesus said it was from the creation. So yes it was necessary in the garden in obedience to God.

You could say marriage is intended to make someone whole if done so with Gods intent in mind.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
If you are talking about leaving their parents, they had no parents other than their God whom they were not supposed to leave but did so when they disobeyed.

You are confusing earthly parents, which is the reference Jesus speaks of, with spiritual Father.

Marriage is the ideal realationship between man and woman and as Jesus said it was from the creation. So yes it was necessary in the garden in obedience to God.

You could say marriage is intended to make someone whole if done so with Gods intent in mind.
No confusion, I'm speaking metaphorically.

Wasn't it also "written" that there will be no marriage in heaven?
So was marriage necessary in the garden?

Or is marriage a gift for fallen man exclusively?

Old 01-22-2009, 11:28 PM

302 posts, read 553,867 times
Quote:

The woman and the sabbath were both made for man before he sinned. In the beginning, they were two perfect gifts from the Creator to man. After the fall, both gifts have been abused by carnal men.

Donna

The Seven Deadly Deceptions Of Counterfeit Christianity
freetruth.info

Old 01-23-2009, 06:58 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
God ordained marriage between a man and a woman? End of story.
Amen!

Old 01-23-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:

Define marriage because the Bible nowhere explicitly states at what point God considers a couple to be married. I believe there are many couples who are not married in the eyes of God but He allows it. We must follow the principles of the bible:
(1) As long as the requirements are reasonable and not against the Bible, a couple should seek whatever formal governmental recognition is available.
(2) A couple should follow whatever cultural and familial practices are typically employed to recognize a couple as “officially married.”
(3) If possible, a couple should consummate the marriage, fulfilling the physical aspect of the “one flesh” principle.

Ultimately this is up to God. God knows the difference between a true marriage covenant and an attempt to explain away, or justify, sexual immorality.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Define marriage because the Bible nowhere explicitly states at what point God considers a couple to be married. I believe there are many couples who are not married in the eyes of God but He allows it. We must follow the principles of the bible:
(1) As long as the requirements are reasonable and not against the Bible, a couple should seek whatever formal governmental recognition is available.
(2) A couple should follow whatever cultural and familial practices are typically employed to recognize a couple as “officially married.”
(3) If possible, a couple should consummate the marriage, fulfilling the physical aspect of the “one flesh” principle.

Ultimately this is up to God. God knows the difference between a true marriage covenant and an attempt to explain away, or justify, sexual immorality.
I don't question that the sacrament of marriage is Holy, and ordained by God.

I'm merely drawing attention to the mysteries of Genesis.
We have two accounts of creation, one in which God created man and woman in His ( their ) image, and the other account where God created a "help mate" for Adam. Afterwhich, it is written that a man shall leave his father and mother.
If in fact Adam and Eve were the first and only humans created at that time, they had no earthly mother and father to leave.
Until of course, they left the garden.
On the other hand , it is written, God created man and woman in THEIR image, it implies the plurality ( or trinity ) of God, and therefore suggests the union of man and woman is a reflection of that relationship.

I was merely putting out their the hypothesis that marriage is a gift for healing the brokeness of man and woman brought on by their "fall" from grace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity