Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 09:31 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Since I've been converted, I have decided to refrain from Halloween as I see it as a tradition which is very much associated with overt sexuality. I believe you've hit upon a key point when you mention "separating ourselves from the world". From my experience with the world and Christians, it seems that there are many who are too caught up in it.

I'm not sure that God "worries" about anything. He is the supreme Sovereign who has ordained all that has and will come to pass. Not sure there's much room for worry there. Lots of movies and sports aren't associated with the sinfulness of Halloween though, though there are some which are rather adulterous (some movies which come to mind) and it would be well for a Christian to avoid those as well.

If Halloween were a clean activity for little children in which gifts were passed out by neighbors, I don't feel there is much problem with it, though the origin of it would probably still be something which I would not feel comfortable with; my main problem with it is the trash which is associated with the adult Halloween parties. There is too much lasciviousness associated with the costumes and parties. Just for that, I would eschew the activity all together. Whatever it may have been ere one time, it has degenerated into a heathenish activity replete with the lustfulness of the reprobate.

It will do well to remember the situation in which many a time would bring about the wrath of the Lord: "because they have cast away the law of the Lord of hosts, and despised the word of the Holy One of Israel" (Isa 5:25). Perhaps instead of engaging in what usually amounts to much display of sexual immorality, adults as well as their children should devote the 31st of October to engaging in the study of God's word.
Can you name what was celebrated on a New Moon by Christians that pagans didn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 09:34 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
The Christian Origins of Halloween:

"Halloween" is a name that means nothing by itself. It is a contraction of "All Hallows Eve," and it designates the vigil of All Hallows Day, more commonly known today as All Saints Day. ("Hallow," as a noun, is an old English word for saint. As a verb, it means to make something holy or to honor it as holy.) All Saints Day, November 1, is a Holy Day of Obligation, and both the feast and the vigil have been celebrated since the early eighth century, when they were instituted by Pope Gregory III in Rome. (A century later, they were extended to the Church at large by Pope Gregory IV.)

All my kids went to Catholic school and Halloween was never an issue.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:41 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
The (First) Anti-Catholic Attack on Halloween:

The current attacks on Halloween aren't the first. In post-Reformation England, All Saints Day and its vigil were suppressed, and the Celtic peasant customs associated with Halloween were outlawed. Christmas and the traditions surrounding it were similarly attacked, and the Puritan Parliament banned Christmas outright in 1647. In America, Puritans outlawed the celebration of both Christmas and Halloween, which were revived largely by German Catholic (in the case of Christmas) and Irish Catholic (in the case of Halloween) immigrants in the 19th century.

http://catholicism.about.com/od/thec.../Halloween.htm

Old 10-26-2013, 10:00 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Yes. My kids will be begging for candy. I will also be handing it out. We have 60 people in town and people dont like snobs that think theyre too good to be part of the community.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:16 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yes. My kids will be begging for candy. I will also be handing it out. We have 60 people in town and people dont like snobs that think theyre too good to be part of the community.
Yikes... I thought 350 was a small town where I live.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:36 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
My child will. If you don't like it then don't have your child participate. It's THAT simple.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:10 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Yikes... I thought 350 was a small town where I live.
Im telling you....it's like living in Mayberry. Everyone knows everyone. Literally. It would be a major insult to not let my kids go knocking on doors.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:56 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
The kids at the church were I go and any one in the community kids are welcome to go to the church on October 31 and they are having a Harvest party , which costumes are not allowed , but are giving out candy and having games and there is even a pony ride in the parking lot ... See these Christian kids will not be going trick or treating door to door and will learn of a different culture than the pagan festival of this society ...... Best to pray for this culture of strange customs

Old 10-27-2013, 07:22 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,928,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Can you name what was celebrated on a New Moon by Christians that pagans didn't?
No. As I said, that wasn't my basis for not participating in the event.

Quote:
You musta been at some pretty wild parties before the conversion?
Yes, I was.

Quote:
To associate adult Halloween parties with sex takes a special type of mind I would think.

Regardless, what's wrong with exploring one sexuality?
Well, I do live in an urban area (Las Vegas). It could be that the sexualization of the day is more pronounced here than perhaps what might be seen in a more rural town. Though I can't associate anything less than overt sexualism with Halloween parties when I see the very immodest costumes which are being worn to them.

I feel that if exploring one's sexuality leads one away from God by engaging in sexual acts which are contradictory to what He has allowed in His word, I feel it is very wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
This sounds rather clean. I wish I had not been exposed to the adult Halloween parties I have been so that I may have a different view of it. Since I don't have children and do not live in a area of town which will have trick-or-treaters out and about by my property, I feel it is quite an easy choice for me to refrain from participation in the event.

When I do have children (which I hope for), I think it will be necessary to make a joint decision with my husband about what we will allow our children to participate in.

I have the same problem with another popular holiday and what it has degenerated into, though I won't bring it up because we're talking about Halloween here. I'm sure it will come up in the season though. That one I have a more difficult time extracting myself from because it is something which my family and I participate in and have been participating in for a long time.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:23 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Let me make an observation. As some of you have recognize it or were aware I'm a very strong atheist. That doesn't mean I don't respect that people make faith choices and many of those are very genuine and strongly felt.

It is also clear to me, that some of these choices end up taking things too far. When one extrapolates a common children's holiday to satanic or the equivalent of satanic practices or denigrating the holiday of today to so-called pagan practices is just taking things too far.

There is virtually no one, and I mean no one, outside of perhaps a few druid practitioners, who view Halloween other than an upbeat and positive event where way too much candy is consumed. It certainly is not celebrating any pagan rituals.

If those were so adamant against Halloween really think about it and look at the history of things, they would not celebrate Christmas, they would not celebrate Easter, nor would they celebrate some of the other lesser holy days throughout the year which were adapted from pagan practices.

Even the name Easter itself, comes from the Germanic tribes' goddess Ostera. She was the goddess of fertility, and one can really see why the Easter Bunny is associated with Ostera considering how prolific rabbits are in breeding.

Practices that originated with the Germanic pagans are practiced to this day. By virtually all Christians. The origins are not remembered and quite frankly don't matter. If you're off faith, what matters what your faith is today.

If your faith in whatever version or sect of Christianity that is important to you is strong, you're not going to think in terms of what is now accepted practice within Christianity.

Revel in your faith, but don't go into these esoteric divergences which distract, and not enhance your religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity